Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Oil in rotor stator area?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Squid

trident00 is on a distinguished road
Oil in rotor stator area?

Hey all, I am tearing down my superhawk for some major mods and paint etc. I removed the cover for the rotor stator, and found a some oil in there. Talking to a biker friend of mine he thought that it might be normal. Since I am not real knowledgeable on the superhawk motor I figured I'd ask the pros here.

Is it normal to have some oil in there? If not am I looking at seal replacement, and can this be done without major work?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers Walt

PS. got the Ohlins shock yesterday. Got the bike tore down this afternoon. Frame is ready to go for powdercoating. RC51 sp2 swingarm is on the way. It will head straight to powdercoating. Will be purchasing the 1000rr wheels end of this week and head them out for powdercoating as well as the subframe. Going to have the stator cover and the clutch cover poweder coated. May powdercoat the valve covers as well. Debating how I want to have the bike painted. Two scenarios atm. First and the most probable will be to keep the Yellow and black theme. This theme will find the frame, swingarm, valve covers, subframe, forks, and the foot peg brackets all powdercoated high gloss black. Wheels will be either a clear powdercoat yellow, or a high gloss yellow. Valve cover bolts painted high gloss yellow. Yellow foot pegs, oil fill cap, and brake and clutch levers.
Scenario # 2 will be conversion to custom blue. Frame, wheels, forks, and swingarm, powdercoated transparent turquise/sky blue. Plastic and tank would be custom painted some nautical theme with perhaps a dive flag and scuba/underwater theme along with a super high metalic royal blue.
Still kicking it all around. I have found a good powdercoater, but am looking for a good custom paint and airbrush shop to do the plastic and tank.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:34 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
That is a perfectly normal spot to find some oil. Oil makes it's way through that area when the engine is running. When the engine is not running there will be some residual and maybe a puddle lying around somewhere.

Here's what it looks like behind the flywheel/rotor.

You can see here the need for oil.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Squid

Man I sure appreciate your response. I thank you for taking the time to respond and to include a picture. I have my plate ful at the moment with all the mods, paint, etc that I am trying to do all at once. It is good to know that I dont have to throw money that direction as well.
Thanks again.

Cheers, Walt
Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Whoa man you're doing errily similar stuff as me!

I found the oil too, so you should be good there. It was strange for me as well, as I am not used to oil/magnetics/electronics thrown together.

Here's the part that is strange to me: I've stripped my bike ready for powdercoat and am also leaning a turquoise/teal theme. I was even thinking water when I was making it, although not nautical... the universe... weird.

Good luck on everything! If you've done anything like this I may compare notes 'cause it's my first time, and you look like you're moving fast so will probably be ahead of me in no time.

Here's a crude vision of what I was thinking for my streetfighter colors...
Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  15.1 KB
Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trident00 View Post
Debating how I want to have the bike painted. Two scenarios atm. First and the most probable will be to keep the Yellow and black theme. This theme will find the frame, swingarm, valve covers, subframe, forks, and the foot peg brackets all powdercoated high gloss black. Wheels will be either a clear powdercoat yellow, or a high gloss yellow. Valve cover bolts painted high gloss yellow. Yellow foot pegs, oil fill cap, and brake and clutch levers.
Scenario # 2 will be conversion to custom blue. Frame, wheels, forks, and swingarm, powdercoated transparent turquise/sky blue. Plastic and tank would be custom painted some nautical theme with perhaps a dive flag and scuba/underwater theme along with a super high metalic royal blue.
Still kicking it all around. I have found a good powdercoater, but am looking for a good custom paint and airbrush shop to do the plastic and tank.
no disrespect, just curious. Do you happen to have those little furry ***** hanging from little strings bobbing around the interior perimeter of your 72' impala?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Squid

Nope, never owned an Impala. My '70 Mach 1 didn't have them either, nor did it have any custom paint. Seen some beautiful bikes on this forum that had extensive custom paint. I'd hazard a guess they didn't own low riders either.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Squid

Man mboe794 that motor of yours looks absolutely spotless. I am very impressed. I have been working on mine trying to get it to look like that. I degreased, and then have been working with a polishing agent. Mine looks alot better then it ever has, but nowhere near what yours does.

Cheers, Walt
Old 11-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Squid

Heya 7moore7 your right, we are on crazy similar tracks. I've built up a few bikes in the way distant past, but this one I'm really hoping to have turn out looking very sharp. My others were race bikes and fast street bikes that were more go than show. I'd be very interested in seeing how your bike comes along. When I get a bit further along I will try and share some pictures.

Cheers, Walt
Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, that motor is stupid clean. I've been cleaning mine as well, but the PO left some really nice black overspray that will probably be left as a token of it's previous life. Trying to deal with it isn't worth the time invested at this point.

Pics would be cool- I'm curious at how much effect the polishing agent has and how your parts turn out!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7 View Post
Yeah, that motor is stupid clean.
This was after disassembly and reassembly from JE piston install. While it was apart I had a chance to pressure wash each part individually. Followed by a few shots from a few cans of brake cleaner.

Sadly, it will probably never be that clean again. But I pride myself on at least trying to keep it close.