Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

oil light?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Squid

twistidd is on a distinguished road
oil light?

newbie here, so maybe this is a newbie issue. i was riding home today and my hawk randomly shut down (luckily only 3 blocks from my place). the oil light came on and that was the only indication of what was going on. on the side of the road i looked her over and nothing seemed out of place. oil window was empty when she was on her stand (im pretty sure thats normal) and when i stood her up, the window filled to the black dot on top. temp was about 220. i have no idea what happened. i walked her 2 blocks and turned her back on. the light was gone but when i got her back after the last block, the light came back on. what do you guys think? STD (Some Thing Disorder)? she has been around....im the third new owner.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Squid

Motohead
Did the oil light ever come on when the engine was running or just after it shut down? With the key in the "on" position, the oil light will be illuminated if the engine isn't running as there's no oil pressure.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Change the oil. Check the smell of the oil to ensure it doesn't smell like gas. If it does, report back and we'll troubleshoot your carb float issue. Change the oil to a 15w-40 or 15w-50. The twins like the thicker oil. If you still get the problem then it's your oil pressure sender (lucky) or the oil pump is shot (unlucky) or there is debris clogging the pickup (not as bad as oil pump).