Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Oil In Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:09 PM
Squid

czraecars is on a distinguished road
Oil In Airbox

I recently bought a 2000 Superhawk with 20,000 miles.It had been sitting for a while and didn't run well at low speed.I installed some slip ons a jet kit and a K&N filter and have the bike running well but the airbox is getting a lot of oil in it.Also when I unscrew the oil fill plug while running theres a lot of pressure coming out.Normally I would think worn rings, but theres zero smoke out the exaust and the plugs didn't show any oil on them.Any ideas?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:23 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a drain hose for the air box that needs to be uncapped once and a while. Left front, near the chin mount. If the plug is gone, I would clean the air box and replace the filter. I would then keep an eye on it. The pressure pulse is normal. Caused by displaced air from piston movement.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Squid

czraecars is on a distinguished road
Oil in airbox

Thanks for the reply.I was most worried about the pressure in the crankcase and I was hoping it was normal for a vtwin.Im going to look at the drain hose latter today
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Squid

brettbutzer is on a distinguished road
hi..

There is a strain hose for the air box that needs to be uncapped once and a while. Remaining front side, near the chin area install. If the connect is gone, I would fresh the air box and substitute the narrow. I would then keep an eye on it. The stress beat is regular. Due to removed air from aide activity.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Squid

Ziander is on a distinguished road
I have noticed a small amount of oil drainage down the left side of the bike after it sits from a ride. It looks like it is coming up from under the tank just infront of the seat. Could this be caused by the same problem of not opening the drain? I cannot find any gaskets or seals leaking anywhere on the engine.

Don't want to hyjack the threat just sounds like the similar problem I am having.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Squid

Kurt999 is on a distinguished road
strange...I don't have an airbox drain tube. I have 2 from the fuel tank and 1 from the coolant bottle. No mention of it in the manual either and nowhere for it to go on the airbox. I have come across these drain hoses on other bikes but definately not on my VTR

Old 06-04-2014, 09:09 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Ziander
I have noticed a small amount of oil drainage down the left side of the bike after it sits from a ride. It looks like it is coming up from under the tank just infront of the seat. Could this be caused by the same problem of not opening the drain? I cannot find any gaskets or seals leaking anywhere on the engine.

Don't want to hyjack the threat just sounds like the similar problem I am having.
On page 1-21 of the shop manual, routing pictures show the bundle of 3 hoses on the left side near the chin fairing. Yours may be missing.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:01 AM
SuperSport

On page 1-21 of the shop manual, routing pictures show the bundle of 3 hoses on the left side near the chin fairing. Yours may be missing.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road

To me sounds like excess chain lube coming out from the front sprocket cover.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:57 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1 Kurt999
On my 2001 VTR, the only drain tubes located at the front left side of the motor and which fit into the chin fairing are: a vent tube from the fuel tank, a drain tube from the fuel tank, a drain tube from the coolant pump weep hole and a drain tube from the coolant reservoir overflow. The drain tube from the coolant pump weep hole was added after the 1998 model year. There are vent tubes or passages from the cylinder head covers, carburettors and PAIR system which attach to or are part of the air box but there is no drain tube from the air box for oil. Any oil mist from the cylinder head covers should collect in the plastic bottle in the air box and any vapour should be drawn into the carburettors but it's not abnormal to have a trace amount of oil in the air box.

Last edited by comedo; 06-04-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Squid

Kurt999 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by comedo
+1 Kurt999
On my 2001 VTR, the only drain tubes located at the front left side of the motor and which fit into the chin fairing are: a vent tube from the fuel tank, a drain tube from the fuel tank, a drain tube from the coolant pump weep hole and a drain tube from the coolant reservoir overflow. The drain tube from the coolant pump weep hole was added after the 1998 model year. There are vent tubes or passages from the cylinder head covers, carburettors and PAIR system which attach to or are part of the air box but there is no drain tube from the air box for oil. Any oil mist from the cylinder head covers should collect in the plastic bottle in the air box and any vapour should be drawn into the carburettors but it's not abnormal to have a trace amount of oil in the air box.
So much more of a complete answer than mine lols!!!

But yes, there is definately no drain tube from the airbox (or anywhere else) for oil, even on non PAIR equiped bikes.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
There is no drain tube from the airbox. Never has been one.

Oil in the airbox from time to time is normal.

Having pressure when you remove the oil fill cap is also totally normal.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brettbutzer
hi..

There is a strain hose for the air box that needs to be uncapped once and a while. Remaining front side, near the chin area install. If the connect is gone, I would fresh the air box and substitute the narrow. I would then keep an eye on it. The stress beat is regular. Due to removed air from aide activity.

Question...is this guy ^^^^^ for real?

And my 01 Cali Hawk has no drain from the airbox nor did my 05. As the authoritative 8541Hawk stated, a bit of oil in the box is no big deal as is a bit of cc pressure.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:01 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Hi...
Bottom line, fresh the airbox and substitute the narrow is the way to go
Old 06-08-2014, 12:44 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tbartley
Question...is this guy ^^^^^ for real?

And my 01 Cali Hawk has no drain from the airbox nor did my 05. As the authoritative 8541Hawk stated, a bit of oil in the box is no big deal as is a bit of cc pressure.
It doesnt need a drain. Thats what the bottle in the airbox is for. A little oil will end up in there during a ride from air movement. You will notice that the LH hose is at the bottom of the bottle. Any real build up of oil in there will drain back into the motor when it goes on the side stand.

You may get a bit of spray around the airbox but thats no big deal.