General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New bike, what's "normal"

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
New bike, what's "normal"

Just picked up my SH with 1 mile last week, and have put 225 miles on her in the last 2 days. But I do have a few questions for the more experienced SH owners out there.

I have a metallic rattling sound under acceleration, most noticeable lower in the revs (3000-5000) when accelerating under load. Is this normal, and will it quiet over time, or is it the dreaded CCT? Maybe the drive chain, as my last several bikes have been shaft drive, but I don't think so. At first I almost thought it was detonation.

I'm also having a prob. with my right hand going numb from vibes. This only happens on the highway, if I'm stuck in the same RPM range for a few minutes (which I'm trying not to do, during break-in, but sometimes you do get stuck on the freeway). Anyone else having this prob? Any solutions? Maybe heavier bar-ends?

BTW, so far I'm not having a lot of the probs I've heard about. No issues of stalling when slowing, no popping on decel, and I find the mirrors are actually pretty good. I am slim build so that may help.

Thanks for all the help.
Lance
Old 05-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the bike!

The most likely culprit is the CCT, since these bikes are relatively bulletproof.

I used to get numb hands/wrists too, but it was solved by adding Heli Bars. My guess is the position the clip-ons put your hands in is causing it.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Squid

Pdaddy
Re: New bike, what's "normal"

Im in the same boat as you... picked mine up last Wednesday. Got about 320 on mine. Ive also gotten the numb throttle hand a few times, I was hoping my body would get used to it and stop Maybe it wont though. I havent ridden in a few years so I thought that may have been a contributing factor. I have only noticed I can hear the clutch just slightly when not engaged and Im sitting.. never noticed it with any of my other bikes. Im not concerned...just a "noticed" noise on mine.

Mines "popped" a few times once after a ride down the highway then going through a few lights and coming up to a third... figured it was just a little fuel load, hasnt done it since. Hey...its carbuerated

I cant wait to get some more miles on it and let it eat !! I wanna see that tach hit a # higher than 5k (Im tryin to be very nice to it during break-in)
Old 05-05-2006, 02:37 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a Vista Cruise throttle lock. (Around $30)
Helps when on the highway.
Be careful with it in the city!!!

here's some installation instructions (different bike but you'll get the idea)

http://klr6500.tripod.com/vistacruise.htm

And there's always the expensive Throttlemeister device...
Old 05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bluevtr";p=&quot
I have a metallic rattling sound under acceleration, most noticeable lower in the revs (3000-5000) when accelerating under load. Is this normal?

Maybe the drive chain, as my last several bikes have been shaft drive, but I don't think so.
Lance
Guys, isn't the noise Lance describes normal for the Super Hawk? I mean his bike is brand frickin' new, so I wouldn't think it would be CCTs. What do you think?

Try to consciously loosen your grip no the bars...I rarely get numb with this bike & I'm pretty much of a geezer!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ";p=&quot
Guys, isn't the noise Lance describes normal for the Super Hawk? I mean his bike is brand frickin' new, so I wouldn't think it would be CCTs. What do you think?

Try to consciously loosen your grip no the bars...I rarely get numb with this bike & I'm pretty much of a geezer!
True, but his bike is an '03, so....I dunno.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:29 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot
Congrats on the bike!

The most likely culprit is the CCT, since these bikes are relatively bulletproof.

I used to get numb hands/wrists too, but it was solved by adding Heli Bars. My guess is the position the clip-ons put your hands in is causing it.
I thought CCTs were good for over 15,000 miles or so before you had to worry about them ?!?!?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:40 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

I put over 50,000 miles on my stock CCTs with no problems (had them changed as preventive maintenance). That being said, there is no hard fast rule in terms of how long they last.

In terms of the vibes, there was a thread on this a few months back and I shared two of my tips (that made a world of difference on my VTR). JUst do a search or look abk in previous thrads and you will find it easily.

welcome to VTR-world

Mikstr
Old 05-05-2006, 03:45 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as the numbness I agree with Marm, I also have Heli-bars with inverted forks and different triples which helped as well. Another cause is gripping the bars too tightly. I notice when this happens to me on the track it's because of my grip and if I loosen it the numbness goes away.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
I'm with L8rgyz in hoping it can't be the CCT's with the low miles. At least that's what I'm hoping. I know with every new bike there's always the noises I hear and wonder if it's normal until I get used to it. I did break it in relatively hard, not quite to motoman specs, but close. I figure I'll change the oil at about 300 and see what it looks like.

As far as the numbness, I'm not gripping tightly, so that's not it. In fact, when I notice it most my first two fingers are kindof dangling off the grip. I'm just hoping I adapt to the bars. I thought about gen-mar or heli bars, but the clutch resevoir is less than an inch from the top of the fairing, and it looks like there would be some serious clearance problems. How do they get around that?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

My Heli Bars have no clearance issues with the fairings. I think if it's an issue, you can add a spacer in between the fairing-mount and upper fairing for extra breathing room.

Have you adjusted your brake and clutch levers? You don't want to be over-extending your wrists when reaching for the levers.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:12 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard a sound similar to what you described. between 3-5000 rpm. a ticking. kinda quiet. I don't think its anything to worry about especially with a bike that new. you'll get to know its normal noises after a while. I'm not worrying about my bikes noise, and I'm easy to worry.. I don't remember if I heard it last season, but it hasn't gotten any worse, and it only does it in that rpm range. not at idle, and not when revved higher. I may be wrong, but isn't the cct kinda loud when its going? and constant? anyway, I just switched from always using 93 octaine gas to 87 so I'll be listening to see if it goes away. I know some people have mentioned higher octane gas making the SH tick. so we'll see if that helps.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:26 AM
Superstock

mikecronis

I recommend changing the oil ASAP as it's several YEARS old.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:19 AM
MotoGP

I just remebered you said it's a new bike so it probably still has those rock hard oem grips on it. I would change the grips for some gel grips and some weighted bar ends. It won't eliminate the problem but it will help alot.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:04 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
I just remebered you said it's a new bike so it probably still has those rock hard oem grips on it. I would change the grips for some gel grips and some weighted bar ends. It won't eliminate the problem but it will help alot.

Hmmmm....grips!
I like these. Use the MTB version on my mountain bike. THe motocross boyz use a different version and WE have thr road grips for our bikes.

OURY Road Grips
Learned about these riding mountain bikes back in the rigid fork days.
THese are the motorcycle version.
Just trim the end off with a razor blade & use your bar ends.
Install with cheap hairspray...makes it slide on easy & dries sticky so they don't slip.
cost around $12.00 a set
Give a good firm grip but absorb vibration.
Don't get hard or stinky over time like the gel grips
Old 05-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Yea, I'm gonna change the oil this week. Just haven't decided what to use yet. I don't think I'll go synth for a while yet. As far as the oil being old, it's only been in there for a week. I asked at the dealership, because I pictured the oil sitting in there since '03, and didn't even want to start it. I was told they are shipped dry, with some type of coating inside the case, and then filled during final assembly at the dealers, which makes sense.

Yes, the grips are still stock. They don't feel that hard to me, but I'm sure aftermarket may help.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:17 PM
MotoGP

When you get the new grips you'll see what I mean, unless they are different then the '98 grips.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

I have pro grip grips with vibration reducing gel inserted. they are very soft but my throttle hand still goes numb from time to time.the universal cruise would be nice to set and shake your hand out from time to time on the freeway.good luck and enjoy the hawk!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Since someone brought up oil, can I jack my own thread? (is that possible?) I'm looking for oil advise. I know a few people have mentioned using Diesel oil. I looked at the labels, and while there's nothing saying not to use in gas motors, and I understand the logic in reference to the additive package, it just seems SO WRONG somehow...Like the old joke about filling up a diesel rental truck w/gasoline.

So, any thoughts? I don't want to go full synth just yet, but I've got almost 300 miles on her, and figured I'd throw some fresh stuff in.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

I was using honda simi-synthetic oil. but there are alot of oils out there that work the same and cost less.I'm guessing you're talking about rottella-t oil? I'm going to try mobil-1 this time. I'm going to use a fram filter this time to honda charges 11.00 fram is 6.00 at wal-mart!!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:07 PM
SuperSport

For cheap Honda oil, filters, & drain plug washers try these guys
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com

Altho it's a cruiser web site you will find your Honda oil filter is the same. Only $6.99 - check the part number !!!
Same deal with the washers - check the part number !!!
See the micro fiche at Ron Ayers to cross check part numbers
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/getdesc.cfm?man=ho]

filter - 15410-MCJ-003 $6.99 each
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/st...10&ID=68467410
oil plug washer - 94109-12000 12mm (package of 10) $5.40
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/vt...45&ID=68467410
Honda oil by the case
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/st...10&ID=68467410
Old 05-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sprhawk neil";p=&quot
I was using honda simi-synthetic oil. but there are alot of oils out there that work the same and cost less.I'm guessing you're talking about rottella-t oil? I'm going to try mobil-1 this time. I'm going to use a fram filter this time to honda charges 11.00 fram is 6.00 at wal-mart!!
I use the wal-mart super tech st-7317 for $2.30 and so far no complaints.
Use it on the Superhawk, and I used it on my wifes Ninja....better than Fram filters, lots of folks use them check it out.....
Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Back on the topic of noise...

It's been a long time since this original post, and I've since changed the bars and grips which took care of the numb hands. But that noise...

I rode last night in a 3/4 helmet, something I hardly ever do, and the first time on this bike with one. Don't know if the lack of helmet below me made the noise that much more obvious, but geez. Here's the thing. It's most noticeable in 2 and 3 gears, under throttle, and almost completely goes away as soon as I shift into 4th. But back in 3rd, loud as hell, to me anyway. The best description I can give is maybe 3 or 4 ball bearings or BB's being spun around in a coffee can. I wish I'd never heard of CCT failure, because the paranoia is really no fun. I only have 1800 miles on her. All oil changes have been on time, level is fine.

WTF??? Worry or ride?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Back Marker

thegreep
Although the bike hasn't been run if it was assembled in 03 or 04 the CCT's still have had pressure on them and no oil to boot. Not sure if this makes a difference, but I would expect it could cause the seals in the ccts to be suspect. I got a little concerned about my CCT's about 8000 miles and switched out for some manual ones. I may eventually switch back, but they seem to work a little better to stamp out strange noise in the bike.

As for the grips, I tore those pieces of crap off the first week (mine's an '03 also), and never regretted it. I've been through 3 sets of the gel grips in 4 seasons, but they are comfy. I also got VTR bars from someone here, and that helped too. The only time they rub is at full lock, and the only issue is that they turn on the brights (Because of where they hit the fairing).
Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Squid

luckyluke is on a distinguished road
I installed a throttle rocker this summer and it seems to help quite a bit. I have carpel tunnel syndrome in my wrists (apparently brought on from years of riding, or maybe just spenking the carrot).

Here's the website http://www.throttlerocker.com/info.html Mine just slips on (no velcro) I paid 8 bucks for it.