Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

No fuel after carb cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:19 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
Angry No fuel after carb cleaning

I just removed and cleaned out my carbs since fuel was pouring out one of the (overflow?) lines whenever it was cranked over. The bike has been sitting for 2 years following some other issues it’s had. I just put a bunch of work into it to get it ready for selling and I’m itching to get this wrapped up.

One carb was very gummed up with globs of varnish. I cleaned out all the ports and removed and cleaned the jets. I also cleaned some varnish out of the diaphragm. Everything went back together well and all moving parts are operating smoothly. Now a new problem has come up: no fuel.

I opened the drains on the bowls and no gas comes out. I’m also not sure which way the fuel shutoff should be positioned since the markings are all corroded and unreadable. I’ve tried starting it in both positions but no luck. I can’t imagine it takes minutes of cranking to get fuel to the carbs. Any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2018, 04:58 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Is the vacuum hose connected correctly to the fuel tap using the sideways connection? No tears or holes in the rubber diaphram?

Fuel cutoff on position

Old 10-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
Thanks, that’s exactly what I needed. I didn’t even see that nipple on there. It turns out the vacuum line had fallen down and I didn’t even notice it was missing. Now I have fuel but no repetitive bang bang. Hopefully I didn’t bung something up when I put it back together.