Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

No Cranking, No nothing - Dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Storm is on a distinguished road
No Cranking, No nothing - Dead

Looks like the honey moon is over for me and the storm.. Drove it to work 2 day there and back and all good. Started her up a few hours later and let her warm up while i was getting my gear on.. couple of minutes pass and i jump on the bike ready to go.... Look at my dash the the lcd display and rpm tach are flickering ON/OFF/ON/OFF for about 30 seconds.. I then turned off the bike thinking i would restart it and see if it did it again and when i turned the key to on there was nothing... No head light, no dash display, no cranking, no nothing - Dead.

I had a look around for the basic e.g harness connectors (dirty,burned), around some of the wireloom if it was melted but saw nothing.... All i can think of given that it was so sudden would be the battery just going without warning. Alot of poeple talk about replacing the r/r which apears to be genuine (25,000km).

Has anyone come past this problem in the past? Any help or a pointer in the right direction would be great. Cheers Tony.T
Old 11-18-2009, 01:48 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
First off check, the connectors to the battery are done up nice and tight.

Check main 30 amp fuse

If R/R is the early unfinned version then it is/was a 'dead man walking', and superseded post '01, and even that isn't immortal. Plus if R/R has gone down it would have probably taken the battery with it.

leccy stuff nit my string suit but I'm sure there are threads abounding describing what and where to point your multimeter.

Last edited by Wicky; 11-18-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
replace the r/r with a r1/r6 unit or similar. The guage cluster is a sign of it going. Mine speedo would stop working then start, it was the r/r!
Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Aye, sounds like the rectifyer to me. Went on the old VFR went, the bike backfired a few times, the dash flickered, then it was dead. It's a frustrating feeling. I think I recall a rotten egg smell, too, but that might have been my mood.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Definitely r/r, your battery may still be ok though. If you didn't smell rotten eggs and your battery was still pretty healthy before this then you are fine in the battery department. Replace the r/r charge the battery and be on your way.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Squid

strez is on a distinguished road
chould have droped a cell in your battery . rode to the shops once and when i went to go again it kicked over then nothing . was really bizarre read fully charged with the battery charger but flat when the ignition was on
Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Storm is on a distinguished road
Update...... Was the main fuse.. Some one bridged it with a wire instead of a fuse so i am not sure what was causing it to go but i put a new one and it has been fine so far... Sooooo It was just the fuse. Thanks for all the comments, Tony.