Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Newbie with a question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Squid

MudSwettinGears is on a distinguished road
Newbie with a question...

...well, kind of a newbie. I've posted a couple times but haven't intro'd myself. I've had my 2000 SH for a few months now, matter of fact, I think I bought it from L-Man who has posted on this site.

Anyways, I wrecked it a couple months ago (well, more appropriately, the hit and run driver wrecked it for me). Got it back from the shop (pic attached, I hope), and it's running like crap. Bogs down on acceleration, feels like it's not getting enough fuel. Funny thing is, there are moments when it runs like a bat outta hell...like there was nothing wrong with it. Spark plugs had carbon deposits on them, so I changed them out w/NKG iridium, no help. Filter is clean. Fuel lines aren't crimped. Vacuum lines appear to be tight. I have noticed that my blinkers are intermittent...I thought one was out, so I replaced it and it still didn't work (until an hour later). While running, the blinkers are slow to start blinking. The guy who fixed my bike put LEDs on it...could the wiring got jacked up enough for the firing to be affected? Are there any common sense things to take a look at after laying a bike down? It wasn't a violent wreck...I was able to slow down quite a bit before sliding under the car, but I did hit the pavement nonetheless.

I'd appreciate any hints...hope I don't sound too retarded. Just want to get this puppy rolling again. I have a bad habit of thinking the worst and overlooking the obvious things that may be wrong with it.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie with a question...-superhawk.jpg  
Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Welcome.. you came to the right place.. Glad you're ok.

The blinkers could be just simply the dielectric grease on the contacts inside the switch built up.. or it could be thick cause of cool weather (Mine do this when it's cold)..

The bogging down.. someone will need to chime in on.. I'm no mechanic.. though I will pass on that I have seen one that was bogging down @ WOT.. turned out to be the kickstand switch vibrating and causing the engine to shut off...

Check back.. there will be other posts...
Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a fuel supply problem.

First thing to check is the vacuum line to the petcock and the fuel lines when the tank is in place. The tank vent line is the same size as the petcock line and can easily be confused and put on instead.

Second, I'd check the carb slide(s) for sticking. Had that happen and it basically runs on one cylinder and won't accelerate; coughing/sputtering etc but will idle and run under very light load (small thottle) fine.

Stock turn signal cables have three wires while most but not all aftermarket units only use two. The extra stock wire is used as the running light. So yeah, he may have wired them up wrong but that has nothing to do with the running issues.

Nice van BTW, we have one just like; same color too. The bike looks nice and shiney. FZ1 mirror mod?

Last edited by superbling; 01-30-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:20 AM
Squid

MudSwettinGears is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Pretty sure my mirrors are FZ1...they were on the bike when I got it. They sure come in handy, as the stock mirrors don't work very well for bigger guys.

We bought the van the same time we bought the bike...the whiff said it'd be a cold day in hell before I got a bike, and I said the same about a mini-van...so we compromised.