Newbie, need advice, charging system etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Now What?
Squid

98hvtr is on a distinguished road
Newbie, need advice, charging system etc

Hey Guys,
I bought a used 98 (45,000 miles on it- paid $2,000) and it needs (as far as I know) all of the typical upgrades you guys mention. A couple of days ago, I thought the bike cranked slowly and attributed it to a weak battery. After work, starter wouldnt crank enough to turn the bike over (very little juice in battery). I push started it and went home which is 14 miles away, but fuel light went on just as I left for work earlier that day at 86 miles on odo. So on ride home, at stop light and lower idle, tach stopped working, instr lights out. Fuel light on, but with turn signal on, fuel light would strobe with turn signal (or opposite of turn signal, I forget). I had to stop for gas, couldnt get it to start (pushing) after fill up. HL, TL all super dim. Ordered a mosfet r/r, connection kit assuming that is the issue but wanted to ask the pro's (you guys) if I could be overlooking anything. I will get a new battery (which one is recommended with new r/r?) too.
So:
1) Anything else I should be thinking about?
2) Battery replacement suggestion
3) You guys are awesome

Dave

Last edited by 98hvtr; 08-18-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling etc
Old 08-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Start with new battery. You never know from previous owner if he's taken
care of it or not, and how old it is. If you take care of your bat, it will give
you many years of good service. If not, even the best batteries out there
will be prone to failure.
Which means with new battery, get yourself a good motorcycle charger for those long winter months, or if bike will sit still for more then a week or so.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:04 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
if your guages started going out first,than bike died or wouldnt start after turning off,it means its not charging.
it is gonna be most likely the rectifier AKA R/R
it is most likely the stock one,which will fail just about all the time.
when replacing the R/R,replace the battery at the same time.it will be good to change both,one or the other after failure can ruin the other.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:46 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
It's possible it's either the battery or the RR. However based off what you describe I'm with Saige in that it's probably not charging and the RR is most likely at fault. It's not a bad idea to get a new battery but not 100% necessary either if it's not bad. Get it on a charger ASAP and get a good charge in it and see if it holds the charge. If so then it's probably OK. If not then you'll need new.

Go with a good battery. Don't go cheap on a bikemaster. Yuasa is the factory battery and they are good. Or you can go for more money and get some of the newer trick super small, super light batteries as well.