Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Another carb problem/question. Help this newb

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Squid

semery98 is on a distinguished road
Another carb problem/question. Help this newb

Hey all. I am hoping that you all can help me, because I'm about ready to set my Hawk on fire.

I tried to do the carb set up that has seemed to worked for many, many members here, but I neglected the fact that I am in Denver, and the bike was running awfully. I couldn't get past 5500 rpm, and getting up to that point was a slow venture.

I tried another set up, but I won't get into the boring details, because it wasn't much of a change.

So now I'm back on the stock set up with the 45 pilots, stock needle shims, 175/178s, and about 2 screws out in the front and 2.25 out in the rear. Still runs the same. Won't accelerate past 5500 rpm. It does run slightly better with the choke on, but not much.

I need your guy's help! I don't believe it's a PVLIR, because the vacuum line is connected on the side of the petcock.
What else could it be? Is it possible that the slide isn't opening, and hence the main jet isn't coming into use?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
You would not be the first to not have seated the slide diaphragm correctly and you have a slide not lifting.

Or other vac leak
Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Squid

I guess I will pull it apart again and see. The slides and the springs went back pretty easily for me, so I'm confused as to why they aren't sealed.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:51 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Could this not be a timing chain off a tooth issue?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by supermarto
Could this not be a timing chain off a tooth issue?
Sure... but he said he worked on the carbs... as it's the internet.. when someone says I DID XYZ... ya kinda have to take them at their word and respond to what they posted...

It could be a broken piston ring causing a light seize in the motor.

It could be an ignition wire that has an intermittent open.

It could be the rider is resting his foot on the kickstand and activating the side stand switch as the RPMs go up..

But as he said he just worked on the carbs..... most I think will limit the suggestions and responses to,, things dealing with carbs and their removal, disassembly and replacement.

Other than a runability symptom which matches a different issue... How did you come to a CCT or cam timing issue?

Perhaps I missed something in an earlier post of the OP's?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by semery98
I guess I will pull it apart again and see. The slides and the springs went back pretty easily for me, so I'm confused as to why they aren't sealed.
It 's just A possibility.

If you're sure as your thread implies the issue is related to recent carb work.

Vac leak
Carb mis-assembly
Damaged, unserviceable carb parts ( seen a brand new out of the package main jet, not drilled)
Or a rag left in the air box (yes seen this more times than I can count)

Those are the first things i would rule out...

Then start the diag process on other items that may have simply failed coincidentally to your carb work.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Squid

All good suggestions. However, I pulled the carbs off last night and sure enough one of the diaphrams wasn't sealed properly. Although it looked sealed, the slide would slam shut after opening. I will install the carbs tonight and see for sure if that was the problem.

This leads me to my second question. As you can see from my signature, would it be beneficial for me to do 8541 Hawk's carb set up, or would my current altitude of 5280 feet make the bike run too rich? I have done quite a bit of research the past week on the different fuel/air circuits in the carbs, so I'm thinking maybe just shimming the needles to provide more mid range power? What do you guys think?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
From his first post:

Originally Posted by semery98
I neglected the fact that I am in Denver, and the bike was running awfully. I couldn't get past 5500 rpm, and getting up to that point was a slow venture.
I guess I was wrong to presume I thought he meant that it was running like this before doing his carb work, because that's how it reads.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Squid

What prompted all this carb work was that after I put my slip-ons on, I hit a flat spot under hard accelerlation around 8k rpm.

Bike was running good (except for the flat spot in the acceleration) before all the carb work.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Even with the base set up 8541 suggests in his thread you only really use it as a guide, each bike will take it different. I'm still fine tuning at sea level and just put in #50s trying to get it to quit running to lean with my stock baffles removed. It's a process.