Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

My Clutch Don't Work!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Squid

trogdorsguitar is on a distinguished road
Angry My Clutch Don't Work!!!!!!!

Hey guys, My first post ever so here goes:
I was replacing the rear wheel on my 98 SHawk and i took the left crank case cover off to do some cleaning. I put the thing all back together and the clutch feels like it's doing nothing (really light when you pull it), and come to find out, it really is doing nothing. When i took off the cover the Rod/Clutch lifter did come out a bit and i pushed it back in. The rod seems like it's not making contact with the spring. Did I mess something up internally?? I have plenty of fluid in the res.

Help Please
Old 12-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Check for the clutch actuator rod laying around on the floor where you were working on it. Or ethier the clutch cylinder is not lined up or tightened correctly when you put the cover back on . I personally never had mine off on the superhawk , but the vf1000r & the 1100 magna I had was this way when taking that cover off. Just a thought?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:08 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
If you go to "General Discussion" in the menu at the top, one of the items in the list is a shop manual or repair manual available for download. If you don't have a copy - get one. Find the clutch/transmission pages and look at the parts. This may give you a clue as to how it all fits together. i doubt that you messed anything up - you just don't have it back together right. Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The slave cyllinder worked its way out and you sucked air into the system. You will need to bleed your clutch. Do a search on "bleed clutch" and you will probably find your answer.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by hrcvf1000r
Check for the clutch actuator rod laying around on the floor where you were working on it. Or ethier the clutch cylinder is not lined up or tightened correctly when you put the cover back on . I personally never had mine off on the superhawk , but the vf1000r & the 1100 magna I had was this way when taking that cover off. Just a thought?
no, it's in there. But i do have another question: Should there be play on the rod, i mean, should it feel like i'm pushing on a spring or should it be solid? Because it's solid feeling when i push it in. Should I be able to push it in with my hand and affect or effect (never quite got all that in english class) the clutch?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
hawkriders right, bleed it thats all it needs
Old 12-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Next time, pull in the clutch and tie it off until everything is buttoned up. I did the same thing and used the gaff to finally buy a brake bleeding kit. It is boxing sale week! Cheers
Old 12-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by bowhawk
Next time, pull in the clutch and tie it off until everything is buttoned up. I did the same thing and used the gaff to finally buy a brake bleeding kit. It is boxing sale week! Cheers
Us yankees have no idea what boxing day is!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Squid

thanks for all the help, i'll try bleeding it. Hopefully it works.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:05 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Bleed the clutch at the slave cylinder, if that doesn't fix it completely you may have to crack the brake line at the master cylinder to get any air caught up high in hte line / master cylinder connection area.

The rod will not be pushable by your hand, this is a hydralic clutch and takes more pressure than your hand can push.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Thumper
Bleed the clutch at the slave cylinder, if that doesn't fix it completely you may have to crack the brake line at the master cylinder to get any air caught up high in hte line / master cylinder connection area.

The rod will not be pushable by your hand, this is a hydralic clutch and takes more pressure than your hand can push.
That is great to know!! Thanks.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Everytime I remove my slave cylinder to change countershaft sprockets I had to bleed the clutch.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
That's why you do what Bowhawk says. By zip-tying the clutch lever, you block off the fluid path for the system to vent, this way there is no way for the slave cylinder to work its way out.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Squid

probably the easiest thing i've done. Thanks guys!! there was a boat load of air in the lines. I think it works better now than it did before.
Much respect for y'all!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 05:11 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Hate to tell you this now, but the old fluid is probably black and junk. When you get time you should flush that crap out with new fluid.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Thumper
Hate to tell you this now, but the old fluid is probably black and junk. When you get time you should flush that crap out with new fluid.
No worries. I did. And yes, it was crappy.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Squid

SkullHeadNoPants is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,

I'm having the same problem and haven't been able to iron out a good fix. In swapping out the chain and sprockets I took off the front sprocket cover leaving the clutch slave cylinder attached to it (i did forget to zip tie the clutch handle). As I pulled off the cover the Clutch lifter rod came fairly far out (not all the way) and I just gently pushed it back in. I swapped out the chain and sprockets, buttoned it back up and I too had no clutch feel what-so-ever. So, I Jumped on our lovely forum and read a ton...I just got done bleeding the clutch and it hasn't made a difference. Could I have damaged the clutch lifter rod? Are there some things I might check through or for to diagnose the cause of my problem. I hate to take her to the shop but I'm running low on ideas.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
99% sure you need to re-do the bleeding...

It's not much you can screw up in there unless you disasemble it further... If the rod went in again without violence it's unharmed... Problem is that you now need to have the hydraulic clutch push it back in, and you have air in the lines resulting in no pressure... Ie up the creek and no paddle...

Did you open up he banjo at the clutch master cylinder? usually there is a big airpocket there...
Old 11-21-2010, 12:08 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I don't understand why the Superhawk clutch is so damn hard to sort out. I finally gave up on anything reasonable and bought a mini-vac. The positive force is required to get the fluid through the master and into the slave. It's a mistake that you will never make again. You cannot let the piston in the slave to come out.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Squid

SkullHeadNoPants is on a distinguished road
I didn't crack the banjo yet and will also teflon tape the bleeder valve
(just in case).....heading out there now. Thanks Tweety!!!