Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

More handguards

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 01:02 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
More handguards

Ok so for anyone who wants to avoid freezing hands is chilly weather, I just saw these and they look good.

May need to shorten the mount arm but I do like the colors.

Motorcycle Motocross Bike ATV 7 8" Handlebar Plastic Hand Guards Handguards C02 | eBay
Old 04-17-2016, 05:12 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I'll give them a shot, I may get 2 pair. The Artic Cat ATV set I bought only works on one side because the clamp for the other is not MC specific. I have not been able to find an alternative or the other side alone, and there is not enough "meat" to modify the odd side.

BTW, shortening the mounts will require plastic welding because they "arms" appear to be polyethylene / polypropylene or fiberglass reinforced nylon (but the latter would be that is unlikely), not metal.

Last edited by skokievtr; 04-17-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:49 AM
MotoGP

Skokie on the artic cats, they replace the back side of the clutch and brake perch. So on one side you just need to drill a hole to line up with the Honda position.

Then you cut the forward reaching arm and drill and bolt it back together at the length and angle that works for you setup. I can take pics. Its not a simple bolt up but once on its pretty invisible.

These do look really nice though. Even color matched.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:38 PM
SuperBike

Hand Guards

Some photos would be great

I ordered the black ones because of the red may not match as well as it may appear

thanks
Old 04-21-2016, 10:36 PM
MotoGP

Ok with much wailing and gnashing of teeth I got some somewhat bad pics. But you should see the ones that didn't make the cut. These just show how I cut the support at the bend, drilled both pieces and created my own angle and length.(sorta)

It also shows how I had to drill to let them act as the back half of the clutch perch. (they come with the holes in the wrong spot)
Attached Thumbnails More handguards-dsc08500.jpg   More handguards-dsc08503.jpg   More handguards-dsc08504.jpg   More handguards-dsc08509.jpg   More handguards-dsc08510.jpg  

Old 04-24-2016, 06:13 AM
SuperBike

Thanks a lot S-Joe!

Of course with with spring finally sprung the need for hand guards has significantly diminished and I'm waiting for delivery of the other plastic framed set but I will evaluate and test install both options. I see you still are running Helibars (or at least that is what I see in your photos). I used Helibars for a few years, then switched to Tommaselli 3-way adjustables for several more years and now are running DanMoto "3D" 3-way adjustables which have a taller rise than the Tommaselli's.

https://revivalcycles.com/products/t...le-clipon-bars

https://www.dan-moto.com/DM_US/3d-cl...oduct-439.html

Consequently, I'm not sure if my clip-ons will make it easier or more difficult to mount hand guards than with the Helibars.

I'll keep posting.

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Ok with much wailing and gnashing of teeth I got some somewhat bad pics. But you should see the ones that didn't make the cut. These just show how I cut the support at the bend, drilled both pieces and created my own angle and length.(sorta)

It also shows how I had to drill to let them act as the back half of the clutch perch. (they come with the holes in the wrong spot)
Old 04-30-2016, 03:00 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
How strong are these things?

Reason I ask is I got hit on the hand by a stone that got spat up by a 4x4. Looks like it has fractured one of my fingers.

Would kinda like this not to happen again. Kinda hurts. A lot.