Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Michelin Pilot Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
you guys are driving me crazy. I've got a brand new set of PP 2CT's that my wife gave me for x-mas, sitting in my car right now waiting to be mounted. I cannot WAIT to try these out. up till now, I've had a a 207 on the rear, and a perelli dragon corse trackday takeoff on the front. (worked very well by the way) this is the first time I'll have new tires on my hawk since I got it. I have no idea what its gonna feel like. can't WAIT!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Running PPs also... only drawback. They are SLICK when they are cold. Let them heat up. Twice now (once ended in disaster) the tire has cut loose on me. May be my fault. I jumped on the Hawk after it'd been sitting for a hour or so at a local joint... lean the bike a little as I roll on power.. not hard, just enough to get it moving.. one time the bike left me laying, another it just shifted under me..

Take it easy on those new ones Swordfish... New tires have a residue on them, and they need scuffed up (riding) before they will hook up well. Too many times have I seen guys get new skins, take off hard, and lay a bike down...
Old 03-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Corona Hawk
I just bought a set of Pilots for my '05 Hawk. The front tire is labeled with the size 120/70 ZR 17 C, the tire dealer said is was made for Yamaha for the R1. Can anyone tell me more about this designation?
From what I understand Michelin built specific OEM Pilot Powers for each manufacturer's bikes. The one you have may slightly differ from off-the-shelf Power Pilots, but it shouldn't be a huge difference. However I'd still prefer the "generics"...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:52 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Cleveland
Running PPs also... only drawback. They are SLICK when they are cold. Let them heat up. Twice now (once ended in disaster) the tire has cut loose on me. May be my fault. I jumped on the Hawk after it'd been sitting for a hour or so at a local joint... lean the bike a little as I roll on power.. not hard, just enough to get it moving.. one time the bike left me laying, another it just shifted under me..

Take it easy on those new ones Swordfish... New tires have a residue on them, and they need scuffed up (riding) before they will hook up well. Too many times have I seen guys get new skins, take off hard, and lay a bike down...

I am aware. believe me I won't be doing anything abruptly until I get some miles on them. and even then, it will be a gradual increase. the upside,(if you want to call it that) is that here in IL, there are no corners per se, so I don't have to worry about leaning too hard. mostly straight lines in all directions. you really gotta look to find some curves on these roads. did I mention I want to move to NC?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Originally Posted by swordfish
I am aware. believe me I won't be doing anything abruptly until I get some miles on them. and even then, it will be a gradual increase. the upside,(if you want to call it that) is that here in IL, there are no corners per se, so I don't have to worry about leaning too hard. mostly straight lines in all directions. you really gotta look to find some curves on these roads. did I mention I want to move to NC?
I didnt mean watch the corners as much as I meant watch your take offs on a cold tire (though that could be indicative of all cycle tires, I wouldnt know). I litterally just started rolling the first time it slipped on me. I had about 1000 miles on it, too.

And NC is nice when its nice.. but I complain about winter here... Only place I know where it gets bone chilling cold, then rains. Rain, not snow. Snow you can brush off, rain soaks in. lol.. but I have been riding ALL winter.. So, I guess I'll just shut up. If you come here, go towards Raleigh or south to Charlotte . I'm in Greensboro, and we get this Apallacian Wedge thing.. clouds and rain rolls in, hits the mountains to the north and west of us, and just hang here for days! The suicide rate skyrockets...lol.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:04 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Where in IL?

Originally Posted by swordfish
Swordfish, where in IL do you live, I'm in Skokie?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 PM
SuperSport

I'm in North Aurora near the Farnesworth exit on I-88. the wife and I always planned on moving out to the Ashville area. and I grew up in upstate NY so any winter where it can still rain sounds like a good winter to me. better than the 2-5 feet of snow I grew up in. IL doesn't get as much snow, but the wind in the winter here is killer. I hate this state.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Squid

hoghead5150 is on a distinguished road
the power tires for the r1 have a different sidewall. it is a little stiffer than the generic tire. the 04-06 r1 had a little different weight bias to the bike. the spec sheets don't really show it, but the shop here weighs all their bikes on digital scales front and rear just for measurement. (**** i know). anyway, according to michelin, the brand specific tire has a different sidewall compound to handle the extra weight usually present under hard braking. as far as anybody other than nicky haden or spies being able to tell, i doubt it!!
Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I didnt mean watch the corners as much as I meant watch your take offs on a cold tire (though that could be indicative of all cycle tires, I wouldnt know). I litterally just started rolling the first time it slipped on me. I had about 1000 miles on it, too.

And NC is nice when its nice.. but I complain about winter here... Only place I know where it gets bone chilling cold, then rains. Rain, not snow. Snow you can brush off, rain soaks in. lol.. but I have been riding ALL winter.. So, I guess I'll just shut up. If you come here, go towards Raleigh or south to Charlotte . I'm in Greensboro, and we get this Apallacian Wedge thing.. clouds and rain rolls in, hits the mountains to the north and west of us, and just hang here for days! The suicide rate skyrockets...lol.
How far from charlotte?? We should hook up and ride someday...
A bunch of us from the CSB board are going to the Gap April 12th-16th...
some of us are doing a mountain run this weekend Sat the 31st, probably hit Old 18 and up 181 etc...
Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
How far from charlotte?? We should hook up and ride someday...
A bunch of us from the CSB board are going to the Gap April 12th-16th...
some of us are doing a mountain run this weekend Sat the 31st, probably hit Old 18 and up 181 etc...
I am in Winston-Salem..I'm on the MAP. Http://www.frappr.com/superhawkforum Hard hour from Charlotte. easy 1 1/2 hour.. I was thinkin bout hookin up w you guys for the Deals Gap thing.. Still am. No ridin for me this weekend, my weekend with the kids. Gotta have my priorities...
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I am in Winston-Salem..I'm on the MAP. Http://www.frappr.com/superhawkforum Hard hour from Charlotte. easy 1 1/2 hour.. I was thinkin bout hookin up w you guys for the Deals Gap thing.. Still am. No ridin for me this weekend, my weekend with the kids. Gotta have my priorities...
Absolutly...I ducked out of a ride today to hang out with my 12 yr old...damn but they grow up fast...I may end up not doing the run this weekend do to the extra patrolage going on up there right now...they been passing out tickets like water...don't need any highway usage coupons...

Do you have the link for the "Wake the Dragon" thread? if not here it is...

http://www.charlottesportbikes.com/m...73fadf4642a796

R