Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

manual cct adjustment intervals

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Squid

joedirt5 is on a distinguished road
manual cct adjustment intervals

Just wondering what mileage everyone who has manual ccts is checking them at. Is it by sound, mileage, or somthing else. Thanks for the help, I tried looking it up and it seems like this may have not been covered yet. Thanks for the input Drew
Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Most people report that they have never needed adjustment. Just check them when you check the valves.. You are already in there.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1 on checking camchain tension when you check the valve clearances provided the manual CCT's were adjusted properly when they were installed
Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yruyur
Most people report that they have never needed adjustment. Just check them when you check the valves.. You are already in there.
That's been true for me (no adjustment needed), although I usually find myself checking them anyway whilst doing other stuff. You know, just to make sure. Probably happens about once a year.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Squid

joedirt5 is on a distinguished road
Ok Thanks for the input. It is at the shop now getting the valves checked and the manual cct's installed. The service manager called me and thought they would need constant attention. It was suprising he did admit they have seen quite a few failures on inline 600's. He also admitted that Honda has done nothing to make them better, but we all new that anyways.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Back Marker

HisHawkiness is on a distinguished road
Im about to install the Ape CCT's on my bike while its town completely down.... the idea of checking the valves kind of slipped my mind, how often do you have to do this? maybe its in the knowledgebase ill have to check
Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Do you guys adjust by noise or go fingertight minus a 1/4 turn? I've never adjusted valves, maybe I should

Yesterday I did the latter, then the bike shop owner scolded me and told me not to listen to idiots on the internet.

So just now I had the bike warmed up and backed the rear one out a full turn and didn't hear any extra noise, so I just put it back where it was.

FWIW, the previous owner/installer had them about 3/4 out beyond where I have them now. Is 3/4 turn within reason for say, 20k miles worth of wear?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I go lightly finger tight with the motor running and warm. Estimate the torsional/axial force of the stock CCT with the spring and that's about right. As long as there's no slapping noises and it's not so tight that the idle drops then you're probably okay. People stress over this so much and I don't understand why. I'm fairly confident that there's a wide band of acceptable adjustable range on these little guys.