Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

lowered the front, handling greatly improved

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
The mains shoulnd't affect the lower end that much. I think you need to start wtih the pilots and move up. Also the mains IIRC you said were dynojet mains which for the same size orfice have a larger number. Hence why I hate trying to deal with them. IMHO you are best to go back to stock on the mains but I think you need to make sure what the pilots are at, I forget without going back through the thread and looking, and then work your way up from there to adjusting the needles then the mains. The mains may have a slight affect on the lower systems but it shouldn't be so much that it's not letting it run well at all.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by blamecanada
runs like crap pretty much everywhere, I can barely get the bike to go above 3000 RPM...gotta really twist open the throttle and even then it bogs down really bad.

I think the ridiculously huge main jets I have are probably the issue, going to go back to stock and tune from there.
I can totally understand why..... with the stock bits and some minor tweaks the bike will pull really hard but I guess you already knew my opinion on that....

The stock needles are very good, if I didn't have the set of needles I am running (which are pretty much unobtainium now) I would have a set of stock needles in my bike.

So plug the extra lift holes and put the stock stuff back in there and you will be much happier.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Banned
MotoGP

So now to pull the thread back on topic.... about pulling the forks up so much and why I said it was a band aid fix....

What you have done by pulling them up like that is made the bike sit properly but the forks are topped out.

With a proper set up you would have approx. 35mm of sag on the front, for the street. So with the forks up 40mm you are right in the range of proper sag and the forks up 5mm in the triples.

The down side is that the forks can't extend for a dip in the road or if the front tire happens to loose traction in a corner.

So what happens is now the whole front of the bike drops instead.

This can lead to some bad things as you can unsettle the chassis at the worst possible moment.

So do yourself a big favor and cut the spacers to the proper length and get the sag set correctly and you will be surprised at how much better the front end will feel and work.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
So now to pull the thread back on topic.... about pulling the forks up so much and why I said it was a band aid fix....

What you have done by pulling them up like that is made the bike sit properly but the forks are topped out.

With a proper set up you would have approx. 35mm of sag on the front, for the street. So with the forks up 40mm you are right in the range of proper sag and the forks up 5mm in the triples.

The down side is that the forks can't extend for a dip in the road or if the front tire happens to loose traction in a corner.

So what happens is now the whole front of the bike drops instead.

This can lead to some bad things as you can unsettle the chassis at the worst possible moment.

So do yourself a big favor and cut the spacers to the proper length and get the sag set correctly and you will be surprised at how much better the front end will feel and work.
If I lift the front with the clamps tight, the forks extend outward, and conversely they compress when I brake or press down...they work correctly, but are just too stiff. I don't think the earlier presented hypothesis about not having cut the spacers is correct.. when I took the forks to a more reputable suspension shop they said that what had been done cannot be undone or fixed without buying new parts (including springs).

I'm not going to mess with the stock forks, they're shitty anyway...the bike goes over bumps perfectly right now....

If I find I want front end improvement I will try to find a different front end to swap in...from what I've seen other forum members have had excellent results from doing that.

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I can totally understand why..... with the stock bits and some minor tweaks the bike will pull really hard but I guess you already knew my opinion on that....

The stock needles are very good, if I didn't have the set of needles I am running (which are pretty much unobtainium now) I would have a set of stock needles in my bike.

So plug the extra lift holes and put the stock stuff back in there and you will be much happier.
I didn't mess with it originally, and don't have the stock stuff...or I would have done that already...the bike stock is powerful enough for me....I have some stock jets in a variety of sizes on the way. If I had stock needles I would put them back in as well and plug the extra hole.

---

8541Hawk, I really do appreciate your concern with respect to the suspension and safety...we literally rode through bumpy mountain roads that would be uncomfortable in most cars, at a 'slow A group' type pace...I had the whole bike bounce on me while leaned over going through turns at speed...if there was an issue that would cause me to crash I would have crashed already.

That said - would your suggestion make for an improvement? Probably? I'm not familiar with motorcycle forks and I'm not going to mess with the internals until I've learned more about them.

Last edited by blamecanada; 05-23-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Mike great advice.

Another avenue you can try nick is to contact indierocker and ask him for his carb set up info. He was running Yoshi pipes. So I'm guessing it would work ok'ish with your single muffler. Also with the port & polish and ignition advancer. His carb info would really be a plus?

Good luck. Steve
Old 05-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Front end? Why don't you try a 16" CBR900RR front wheel for those really tight hair pin turns. LOL.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Banned
MotoGP

If I find I want front end improvement I will try to find a different front end to swap in...from what I've seen other forum members have had excellent results from doing that.

Yeah a USD front end makes it a whole different bike. The stock stuff can be made to work pretty good and sorry yours is fubar'd.

I know the RC front end I have is just amazing... of course it could be because its stuffed with Ohlins bits but even stock it would be worlds better than the forks the bike comes with, then the bigger brakes just add even more.

So start hunting for a 1000rr front end (or whatever flavor you like) and you really will like the improvement.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
Mike great advice.

Another avenue you can try nick is to contact indierocker and ask him for his carb set up info. He was running Yoshi pipes. So I'm guessing it would work ok'ish with your single muffler. Also with the port & polish and ignition advancer. His carb info would really be a plus?

Good luck. Steve
that's the funny thing actually he was running the stock jetting with a K&N filter, so we'll see what happens when I try that same setup.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Well that depends on if it's jacked up due to to long of spacers or to stiff of springs. If the springs are to stiff then no matter of longer or shorter spacers are going to help and vice versa. Do you know what they did to jack up the suspension? Trying to set proper sag with to soft of a spring will result in a ton of preload and the bike will not have any sag unlaiden. Conversely if you have to stiff of springs you'll have them backed off so far that there will be to much unlaiden sag.

Sounds like he either stuffed to big of spacers in, and/or got to stiff of springs for the stock spacers that was in it.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
Also with the port & polish and ignition advancer.
Well I have both those on my bike and it really didn't change much as far as the carbs are concerned, then again every bike is different.

I made a change to the exhaust system that actually made more difference but that is another story....
Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
if there was an issue that would cause me to crash I would have crashed already.
Not to sound offensive, but you've got ingredients to a recipe that I wouldn't want to try. It only takes once. Are you saying that you test everything by riding it, and if you don't crash you consider it good? Or in another light, you make changes until you crash and then revert to the last non-crashed setup?

I'm not going to mess with the stock forks, they're shitty anyway...the bike goes over bumps perfectly right now....
You only know the best that you've tried!

You're the only one riding and feeling the bike, so have a much better idea of what's going on and I may just be overly cautious here, but wanted to throw my impressions out there.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Superstock

7moore7, all logical points...haha, I like the way you phrased it "are you going to make changes till you crash and then revert?"

I don't plan on making any other changes, except maybe raising the rear a tiny bit more; I should mention I have another bike setup for racing with good quality suspension stuff on it, an 03 CBR600RR, and the hawk now feels closer to the handling of it than it ever has...the best since I got it...am I denying there might be room for improvement? no, but I think spending some coin is required and I'm not about to do that when the I like where the bike is at.

I need to get the engine running right and then just keep trying to improve my riding, I'm not a retired superbike racer, I've only been riding since October of last year...can't justify dumping tons of money on the equipment when the rider is what needs upgrading.

Last edited by blamecanada; 05-23-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
...I've only been riding since October of last year...
and you altered the geometry that far? You're a brave soul.

You must carry your ***** in a wheelbarrow.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok after going richer one notch the bike runs much much worse, trying to go WOT results in hesitation and the bike going nowhere.

Looks like I need to get the jets and go from there
Here is a link to the DynoJet Installation Sheet. Read through it, I want to be sure that we are talking about the same needle position.

Keep in mind this is a Stage 1 kit, calibrated for a stage 1 engine (pistons, cams, valves) The best you will get with a stock engine will be excellent throttle response, 6k - redline will scream(K&N and larger mains), and cruise will be smooth with great mileage. But full throttle roll on from low revs will have a flat spot between 4-6k due to over richness. It should not sputter or surge, just be a bit soft but very smooth in this range.

That single pipe will also kill the midrange and likely produce an overly rich mixture. Leaning the needles may be the fix for your setup.

I am just trying to help you get the best out of what you already have to work with.