Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

D2 moto lowered their price on FZ1 mirrors - $29!! (And I have a ?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
D2 moto lowered their price on FZ1 mirrors - $29!! (And I have a ?)

http://www.d2moto.com/Items/m018-car...cing%20Mirrors

I just received mine yesterday. The above link is for Carbon fiber, but I think they had black too.

So my question is to anybody that has done this already, did you use the mounting bracket from the FZ1? or did you unscrew it and re-use the bracket from the stock mirrors? It looks like I will have to bore the hole out and add some washers to reuse the old bracket - just want to make sure I am not making a mistake.

Thank You
Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I came up with this mod.

Yes, use the stock VTR mounts and drill out the FZ1 mirror stalk hole to fit. Add enough washer/spacers to fill in the gap. It's great to have another pair of hands or be prepared to pick up the falling pieces when putting it all together. grrrrrr LOL

DON'T go crazy on the bolt torque or you can break the cheap pot casting metal mount. Use a lock washer(s) instead.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I used the entire FZ1 mirror. I didn't even have any of the original Honda mirror parts. I've seen it done with the Honda mounts and it doesn't look right.

I drilled the rivet out and replaced it with a bolt and nut with locktite and two star washers to keep it from loosening up at speed. The mirrors come with detents, but that holds the mirrors in too far for the SH.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 PM
MotoGP

Oh BTW, those are "carbon look" mirrors. HUGE difference in price and quality between those and the real thing.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
Oh BTW, those are "carbon look" mirrors. HUGE difference in price and quality between those and the real thing.

Yes good point, I'm not sure I even want to know what "real" carbon fiber mirrors would cost. hehe
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I drilled the rivet out and replaced it with a bolt and nut with locktite and two star washers to keep it from loosening up at speed. The mirrors come with detents, but that holds the mirrors in too far for the SH.
If the star washers hold it from reaching the detent and they should, then I say do it this way as centralcoaster did. Just like my mod, you'll still need to drill out the pivoting pin and replace as he advises.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by HawkFanatic
Yes good point, I'm not sure I even want to know what "real" carbon fiber mirrors would cost. hehe
I only know of one source and they are from Japan: $400 per set. Thank you very much.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 PM
SuperSport

If the star washers hold it from reaching the detent and they should, then I say do it this way as centralcoaster did. Just like my mod, you'll still need to drill out the pivoting pin and replace as he advises.

Before that I tried just scuffing up the shiny paint between the sliding surfaces as it was helping it slip, but that wasn't enough. The star washers really dig in, yet you can still move the mirror if you have to. There's some bevel washers in there, I reused those too.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:57 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Maybe FZ1 mirrors but

I came up with this mod.

Yes, use the stock VTR mounts and drill out the FZ1 mirror stalk hole to fit. Add enough washer/spacers to fill in the gap. It's great to have another pair of hands or be prepared to pick up the falling pieces when putting it all together. grrrrrr LOL

DON'T go crazy on the bolt torque or you can break the cheap pot casting metal mount. Use a lock washer(s) instead.
Long before the FZ1 came out I had already grafted R1 mirrors to Don Herve's beautifully billet machined and black anodized VTR mirror entenders.

See below...
Attached Thumbnails D2 moto lowered their price on FZ1 mirrors - !! (And I have a ?)-vtr-2.jpg   D2 moto lowered their price on FZ1 mirrors - !! (And I have a ?)-vtr-1.jpg  
Old 09-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
will those mirrors fit on the superhawk?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 AM
MotoGP

I thought I wrote a "how-to" thread on this mod but I can't find it so maybe I didn't. Here's an older thread with some pics showing the difference between the R1 and the FZ1:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=15075

HTH
Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Byrdman
will those mirrors fit on the superhawk?
Yes, the R and FZ1 mirrors have the same bolt spacing, so they bolt right up. The fairing is at a different angle though, so then end up angled in too far on the SH. The fix to this is pivoting the arms outwards and securing them so they stay there, or as the other guy showed, adapting them to the SH mounts instead. The mirrors come foldable on the Yamahas.