Low speed turnin stumble...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Low speed turnin stumble...

Just recently the engine on my Hawk has been exhibiting a minor stumble when leaning to make a sharp low speed turn, such as into a driveway or when making a tight 180. It's only a momentary hiccup that happens at low RPMs and goes away with throttle application...this occurs when turning in either direction.

Anyone experience this and/or know what the fix is?...don't want the engine dying on me in this situation...

Last edited by oahu hawk; 02-24-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 AM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

bump...
Old 02-25-2009, 11:10 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Mine did it too, back in the dark ages, symptom went away after extensive modifications including high compression pistons and sport cams.

You might want to check your idle adjustment or carb balance. Huge throats on those things, when the engine speed drops and the velocity of the air goes down, the venturi effect weakens. Idle too low and/or balance being just a little out will cause what you describe.

Good luck out there.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:37 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

Carbs were balanced not too long ago, maybe need to check them again...idle speed is 1200 rpm...

Tks for your reply...
Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
mycarbs where stumbling at low rpms when i first got the bike but after a jet kit was installed the mechanic said the carbs were dirty and that was most likley the cause? after the jet kit a cleaning and a synch no more stumbling.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I wonder if you don't have some water in the bottom of your float bowls...slow speed, steep angle turns would cause it to enter to low speed jet. Perhaps.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:17 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
next fill up put some seafoam in there and burn through it. I've heard it works wonders. it was discussed recently on here too.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Check fuel filter in tank?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kevink2
Check fuel filter in tank?
I want to jump in here since you mentioned tank filter. Is there a certain procedure for removing the petcock/filter? I have sputtering, backfiring, stalling since I took the air cleaner off to find a couple bolts i dropped. I tried to remove the petcock and couldn't get the filter out. Didn't want to force it/
What's the trick?

thanks, Nathan
Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
stretched/distorted throttle cable?

At a dead stop turn the handlebars all the way left and right and see if that affects idle.

I had this problem on my old VFR
Old 02-27-2009, 11:05 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by oahu hawk
Just recently the engine on my Hawk has been exhibiting a minor stumble when leaning to make a sharp low speed turn, such as into a driveway or when making a tight 180. It's only a momentary hiccup that happens at low RPMs and goes away with throttle application...this occurs when turning in either direction.

Anyone experience this and/or know what the fix is?...don't want the engine dying on me in this situation...

The fuel level in the float bowl may be creeping up when the bike is at an angle. Check the float needles for wear.

Any other symptoms?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by inderocker
The fuel level in the float bowl may be creeping up when the bike is at an angle. Check the float needles for wear.

Any other symptoms?
no other symptoms...bike has just over 14K miles and otherwise runs great...
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
I want to jump in here since you mentioned tank filter. Is there a certain procedure for removing the petcock/filter? I have sputtering, backfiring, stalling since I took the air cleaner off to find a couple bolts i dropped. I tried to remove the petcock and couldn't get the filter out. Didn't want to force it/
What's the trick?

thanks, Nathan
I too had the same problem. I didn't want to risk tearing the mesh, so I pulled it out as much as possible and cleaned the bottom of the filter as best I could. I'm told I just need to man up and remove it. Anyway, it seemed to get rid of a stalling problem I was having, turning right, up a steep driveway.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kevink2
I too had the same problem. I didn't want to risk tearing the mesh, so I pulled it out as much as possible and cleaned the bottom of the filter as best I could. I'm told I just need to man up and remove it. Anyway, it seemed to get rid of a stalling problem I was having, turning right, up a steep driveway.
thanks kevin, I didn't want to destroy it without justification, but mine was totally clean. I wanted to get it loose and take the petcock apart to see how it worked. Anyway, It must be okay since i did the TPS, the air mixture and shiimed the needles and it runs well from idle to max rpms.

thanks, nathan