Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

low rpm...no power

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Squid

ckoscin is on a distinguished road
low rpm...no power

started this year after i took her out. put stable in gas last winter. been trying to trouble shoot it and nothing.

i had a buddy of mine take off the carbs and clean them.

it will idle at about 12-1300 rpm and after about a minute go to about 800 rpm. runs funny for a bit then back to normal.

when i give it the gas going down the road is studders and puts till about 6000rpm. then it will wake up and ride normal from 80 mph or above.

i dont really know much about motors. i know how to change the oil and brakes that sort of stuff. i can run a multi meter to check things ?

what do you guys suggest..?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 AM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Given the problem only started after winter storage I would say the carbs would still be the most likely culprit. The low speed circuit controls idle and low speed running, and has really fine orifices that are easily blocked. I would say that you need to get back into the carbs and pay very close attention to the pilot jets, and then to the circuits that flow from the pilot to the tiny ports in the floor of the carb under the butterfly.

You may also want to check some of the electrical connections for corrosion, I had an issue with the red connector that feeds power to/from the right bar switches and then to the coils. This gave a nasty misfire in the midrange because the voltage was too low for healthy sparks.

Here's the manual section for more guidance:

Last edited by Cadbury64; 07-22-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:39 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Carbs have very very small passages in certain places, the idle "circuit" as it's called is one of them. I'd have them rechecked. My bet is one or more of those holes is blocked.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:40 AM
Squid

My buddy who "cleaned" my carbs took the Jets out inspected them. Cleaned them. Before he put everything back together he blew all the pathways out with air...

I hear it's almost better to just buy new jets then to clean them...? If so where do I but them. I think they are stock (45)...

How do you suggest cleaning the carbs. As I have never done this. I watched my buddy pull them apart. So I am confident in doing this myself.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:56 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Just my personal preference so take it FWIW. After removing the jets, I like to fill the bowl with carb cleaner and soak them in it for a while. Then compressed air and whatever else it takes till you can see through the passages. We have very small wire cleaning tool similar to this:

You have to be careful to not change the hole in any way, just clean it. Sometimes air doesn't get the job done. A decent paint brush bristle or similar can work too.

It happens to everyone who does it a lot. I recently had to pull the carb off a scooter at work twice.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:04 AM
Squid

When he was done. I asked to see the Jets. Just because I have never seen them before. I did a look over. When I looked at all the holes. None of them appeared to be blocked or restricted. Everything on the bowl side looked clean/new. No build up of gunk..

I wouldn't mind taking off the carbs again and spraying/soaking it with cleaner?

When I take off the carbs I pinched off the antifreeze lines . At my buddy's house he had tools to do that. As I do not have them is this step necessary to do ?