Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

location of main air jets

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Squid

rich.m is on a distinguished road
location of main air jets

hey everybody

Can anybody tell or show me the location of the main air jets. I know they are one of the little brass things that you see on the top of the carb, but which one?

I appreciate your help, thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Name:  P1190627.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  137.8 KB

It's the jet that the screwdriver is not in (the one with a flat head on it)
Old 09-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Sounds like someone is installing a flow commander....
The air bleed is on top, If I remember correctly it is the center one of the three but it has been a long time since I've mess with them....
Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Squid

7moore7 are you sure that's not a fuel jet? the way I understood it is the ones on the air box side are the air jets. very nice pic though

not installing a fuel commander, the jet kit I bought requires drilling the main air jets. you(8541hawk) posted on the last thread I stared about this, that's how I know that they are one of the brass things you see when looking at the carb from the air box. But which one? is a main air jet the same as a air bleed?

Thanks for your input guys

Last edited by rich.m; 09-22-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by rich.m
7moore7 are you sure that's not a fuel jet? the way I understood it is the ones on the air box side are the air jets. very nice pic though

not installing a fuel commander, the jet kit I bought requires drilling the main air jets. you(8541hawk) posted on the last thread I stared about this, that's how I know that they are one of the brass things you see when looking at the carb from the air box. But which one? is a main air jet the same as a air bleed?

Thanks for your input guys
Yes Air Jet & Air Bleed are pretty much interchangeable terms.
Though, like the last thread, I wouldn't recommend drilling them out.

If you really want to do it anyways, the easiest way to tell is look through or shine a small light through the emulsion tube (where the main jet screws in) and see which hole on top lights up.

That would be the air bleed.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Squid

cool man thanks for clearing that up for me.
It would be nice if they just screwed out so you could try different sizes without consequences but that would be to easy right? I'm still tempted to try it.
Factory pro insists that it is not just for higher tuned engines but gives better tuning on all engines(but of course they would say that).Who knows maybe it's the secret to jetting this bike with an aftermarket filter. I'll pass on the info if I end up giving it a try
Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned
MotoGP

They don't screw in but are a fairly light press fit.

So what you could do in take a pair of diagonal cutters and lightly grab the air bleed and lever it out ( this is how they are removed and the plugs installed for running a ram-air set up)

Then you could have someone (if you don't have access to a lathe) turn up a couple blanks and drill different size holes in them to try different set ups.

If it doesn't work, you could then reinstall the stock bleeds.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rich.m
cool man thanks for clearing that up for me.
It would be nice if they just screwed out so you could try different sizes without consequences but that would be to easy right? I'm still tempted to try it.
Factory pro insists that it is not just for higher tuned engines but gives better tuning on all engines(but of course they would say that).Who knows maybe it's the secret to jetting this bike with an aftermarket filter. I'll pass on the info if I end up giving it a try
Well... According to your other threads, you have a pair of slip-ons and a BMC Street airfilter...

The slip-ons barely changes the equation at all from stock... And that airfilter actually flows a lot less than both the K&N and the BMC Race airfilter... So essentially, tuning for that filter, I'd tune the bike like with a stock airfilter, and perhaps adjust the mixture screw a tad... It's not even remotely close to the K&N in how you tune the bike...

BUT, it is infact more free flowing than stock... So opening up the air bleeds to a larger diameter in conjunction with that filter, isnt a great idea... Infact, the only word that comes to mind as a description, is "stupid"...

The only result you will get with the jet kit you have mentioned on a bike that is apart from those two bolt-on mods completely stock, is doubled fuel consumption and a big hole in the powerband... Doesn't matter what the manufacturers says... It's a fact that is easily proven by physics & mathematics, and it can easily be verified by a dyno...

You could try it... The dyno will prove me right... Or you could just believe us when we tell you... After all, we are trying to save you the hassle of putting it back to stock afterwards...

There is no free lunch... More power = cost money...
Old 09-22-2011, 03:54 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
Well put! You won't get HUGE gains over the factory setup. True that a set of pipes and the wrong filter can cause problems. Then some creative jetting can get it to run better again.

Of the two dozen bikes I have owned the VTR is the most difficult for some reason. But once it runs properly it is like a dream bike. At least it is for me.

Miguel