Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Kaput Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Squid

john2kvtr
Kaput Battery

Well after 4 years and 50,000 miles my battery is needing to be replaced. I went to start it up yesterday and I wouldn't crank. I hooked up a charger and got her running. But I figure she'll leave me stranded if I don't replace it, plus the fact that the battery is so old. I probably should swap it out.

Any recommendations for a good cheap battery source or brand. Should I just get one from Walmart or order one from Cycle Gear?

Thanks,
Old 01-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I ordered a Yuasa from Terra Powersports (www.terra-powersports.com/). The cost was $54.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
Re: Kaput Battery

I've had good luck with these guys

http://www.westcobattery.com/

I'm on my third battery, counting the original, but I replace them early.
The last one I 'recycled' by putting it in my KLR and it's still in service after a year in the KLR.
I travel on the shawk so need the insurance a less than 3 yr old battery buys me.
These Westco's give strong cranking power needed more on a V-twin than a IL4.
The last battery was cranking slower in the shawk, but spins the KLR easily.

~Jeffers
Old 02-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Squid

john2kvtr
Just an update: I picked up a BikeMaster battery from Cycle Gear and a Battery Tender. Pretty easy to prep and install. Pour the acid in the battery and out with the old and in with the new battery.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:45 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought my battery was kaput and bought another Yusa. Turned out it was the R/R
Old 02-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Squid

Stoley

The same thing happened to me….the battery was 4years old so I replaced it….next ride the new battery was dead….ended up push starting it…thankfully someone stopped and helped….not an easy bike to bump start.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stoley";p=&quot
ended up push starting it…thankfully someone stopped and helped….not an easy bike to bump start.
Can you explain this process? I've tried bump-starting my bike before, but I can't seem to get her to turn over.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:29 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

You need a bit of a hill to work up some speed. Then coast down and pop it into 3rd (2nd might work). Throw your weight down on the seat at the same time you pop it in gear for more traction on the rear. Give it a bit of gas at the same time and volia! bike should start. Hang on though hehe
Old 02-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Squid

Stoley

NOrrTH is exactly right…..the only problem I had was no hill….thankfully some passer by felt sorry for me and offered to help push…..the funny thing was he thought I should put it in 1st gear….I politely said lets try third first
Old 03-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

In a practical sense, I would substitute the term "cost-effective" in place of "cheap," as far as choice of batteries goes. (I hate Yuasa batteries, the most "affordable" replacement battery that I could find for the VTR, which also happens to be the OEM battery.) I choose instead to go with DEKKA gel-cell batteries. For an extra twenty-to-thirty dollars, the DEKKA offers a battery that will likely last three-to-four-times longer than the Yuasa and will also provide more cold-cranking amps for cold-weather starts.

For example, since SuperChicken II had WebCam racing cams and JE forged pistons installed, the OEM Yuasa battery had a heck-of-a-time cranking the bike over at temperatures of 50 degrees F or below. On the other hand, the DEKKA with which I replaced the Yuasa had no such problems, racing cams and all. (That was a comfort to me, as I live in Atlanta, and, here, you just can't leave a sport bike sitting unsecured for very long: Thugs and thieves are thick in Atlanta, and the police are notably ineffective in combatting the rampant motorcycle theft.)

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 03-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

mamisano is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't have one, definately look into a batter tender. Used it on my 'Hawk for the winters and once a few times a week during the season.... never ran into any issues.