Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

K&N vs. HiFloFiltro

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
K&N vs. HiFloFiltro

Nah, you knew I wasn't going to let it go. I got a HiFlo after hearing all the smack talk about K&N, whose filters I've used for decades without problems. This is the first time I have ever heard of a stock air filter being the hot ticket.
I planned on dropping it in on the current state of tune wich I know nothing about.
Mystery cans(more about those later)
Mystery carb tuning
K&N air filter

I just put a few hundred miles on the bike this last weekend without incident or hiccup of any kind up to my terminal velocity of the day of 100 or so. Except for a MILD flat spot from 2k to 3.5k. I can keep a parade pace going on this thing with no prob at 2k rpm.

So in she went when I installed the Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit(more about that later)

I knew the bike was going to run differently, could be better or worse.

The bike fired up a little easier, still needing full choke.
Choke was off sooner and the bike seemed to idle "stronger"
Then came the throttle blips when the temp was around 210
my normal blip took it up to 4500 instead of 3000, I almost grinned.
the idle at full temp was rock solid 1200, a little healthier feel too. I did not get to test ride but I fail to see how this could translate negatively to the street.
But probably no ride until 26th or so. Dang. I will report back so this may help someone someday somehow.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
And I'm back. The above description of events still holds true. I put about 65 miles on this evening and it does run better in every way and I haven't been into the carbs, all I did was swap in a stock type filter. I report 45mpg for my run as I was riding through deer country at dusk and dark, barely hit a 100.
One day I will go thru the carbs and see what is what, but for now it runs too dang well to justify that. I am seeking to sync the carbs tho.

So after all the discussion about air filters I say if you have a question then pony up for the filter you don't have and find out for yourself. I am glad I did.:viol in:
Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
seems like a good turn out for a stock item.now with the sync and a very minor tune,you should be golden.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Nothing like reviving an old thread. I am in the same boat as Glock here. I have an K&N currently, and am getting a HiFlo today. Ill post up my seat of the pants results.