Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

K&N Oil Filter - Comments Please

Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 AM
  #1  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 74
ruajohnson is on a distinguished road
K&N Oil Filter - Comments Please

Any suggestions on this? Should I stay with the Honda OEM filter or is the K&N a good replacement?
ruajohnson is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 AM
  #2  
the boss
SuperBike
 
saige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: largo,fl
Posts: 1,182
saige is on a distinguished road
i use K&N,and i like it.it sucks it cost twice as much,i never had any problem with them at all.if you dont mind the money.i think there better to use.
saige is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:24 AM
  #3  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 74
ruajohnson is on a distinguished road
thanks for the quick reply. I wanted to switch over to the KN filter and the Mobil 4T oil. Any suggestions on a type of brake fluid to use? I know it's DOT4 but is there one brand that is better than the rest?
ruajohnson is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:33 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
killer5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,728
killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I use whatever is the cheapest filter I can find for an older Mazda Miata. 3 bucks or so. I have a Bosch #3300 filter on there now.
I wouldn't pay twice as much as an OEM Honda filter for a K&N, but if it makes you sleep better then go for it.

Last edited by killer5280; 08-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.
killer5280 is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:51 AM
  #5  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ruajohnson View Post
Any suggestions on a type of brake fluid to use? I know it's DOT4 but is there one brand that is better than the rest?
How much do you want to spend???

But if you don't want to spend hundreds on a bottle of brake fluid the try some Motul RBF600.
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:52 AM
  #6  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 74
ruajohnson is on a distinguished road
How often does everyone here change their oil? The manual says every 8k miles but that seems super high to me.
ruajohnson is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:52 AM
  #7  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 74
ruajohnson is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk View Post
How much do you want to spend???

But if you don't want to spend hundreds on a bottle of brake fluid the try some Motul RBF600.
I swear you always have a good reply for everything! I was thinking something realistic. lol
ruajohnson is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
scottiemann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: boston
Posts: 1,252
scottiemann is on a distinguished road
I used the k&n filter a few times and like it but it is pricey... now I use the bosch filters because I can get a discount on them (I work at a parts store)... I wouldnt go with a cheap fram or stp or equivelent but thats just me...

in other words if you want "top of the line" go with a k&n... they make it specifically for bikes so you know your getting a good k&n product with the right flow characteristics..

As for brake fluid I use castrol, I forget the exact name, but its made for motorsports... however if you change your brake fluid regularly and dont tract your bike every weekend you shouldnt have a problem with standard dot 4...
scottiemann is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
scottiemann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: boston
Posts: 1,252
scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ruajohnson View Post
How often does everyone here change their oil? The manual says every 8k miles but that seems super high to me.
I change mine atleast once a season if not twice depending on how much riding I do and how hard I ride on a consistent basis... basically every 1500-4000 miles
scottiemann is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 04:01 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
VTRumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 187
VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Here you go:
Motorcycle Oil and Filters

It's actually a pretty good read.
Check out some of the links in the page, like all about oil, and all about oil filters. Also the link on the left about break-in.
VTRumble is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 05:05 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Belgium, WI
Posts: 1,611
autoteach is on a distinguished road
ATE Super Blue!!
autoteach is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canmore, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 13
Vegiepower is on a distinguished road
I have a brand new K&N filter available. I bought one before realizing my newly purchased bike already had one...

Torie
Vegiepower is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 10:53 AM
  #13  
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike
 
CrankenFine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,430
CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRumble View Post
Here you go:
Motorcycle Oil and Filters

It's actually a pretty good read.
Check out some of the links in the page, like all about oil, and all about oil filters. Also the link on the left about break-in.
+1 After reading this info I basically decided there's no reason to use anything other than the Mobil 1 filter & oil - both easy to find and reasonable in cost.
CrankenFine is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 321
davidka is on a distinguished road
Rotella T non-syn and Supertech filter from Wal-Mart for me. Bike runs and shifts great.
davidka is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
Old Yeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Big Lick
Posts: 1,090
Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
A filter thread is almost as good as an oil thread.

I use Fram filters and Mobil 1 synth MC oil and change them every 2500 miles.

As for brake fluid, I buy the auto shop brand. I change mine very regularly.
Old Yeller is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:12 PM
  #16  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well they are handy if you safety wire your filter, as they make it real easy.

Though I use the filter I like and the oil that makes me happy.....
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:16 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Squid
 
darkember's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 25
darkember is on a distinguished road
Do remember if you go for the super high flow versions & are using aftermarket cans you will probably need to rejet.
darkember is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles & Winston Salem
Posts: 430
speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
I use the K&N filters, I like that its real easy to safety wire them. Also easy to remove and install. I change oil every 3000 miles, and oil fliter every 6000 miles. Brake fluid, any better quality motorcycle fluid.
speedkelly@aol.com is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
7moore7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,867
7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by darkember View Post
Do remember if you go for the super high flow versions & are using aftermarket cans you will probably need to rejet.
And oil jets are damn expensive and hard to install, so keep that in mind
7moore7 is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM
  #20  
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike
 
CrankenFine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,430
CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7 View Post
And oil jets are damn expensive and hard to install, so keep that in mind
But aftermarket oil cans are easy to find, so it all works out about the same right?
CrankenFine is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
7moore7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,867
7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine View Post
But aftermarket oil cans are easy to find, so it all works out about the same right?
None of it is very worth it unless you also get a custom oil map for your ECU to match the system, though haha!
7moore7 is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 886
1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
This is as funny a thread as, AS the DAM oil threads..
IMO- WHY would you put a oil filter on your motorcycle that is produced by the same manufactor that produces the Purolator.
There are only a few Manufactors of filters(oil, air, hydro). And K&N is not one of those Manufactors..
An if you beleive that any other company spends as much time(racing, research) as Honda, or Toyota, Suzuki has spent over the past decades(over 50 years)..
Then please, use the CHEAPER quality.. The money you save for the oil, filter changes.. Put in your Piggy Bank for the bearing replacement later...

Besides you could comeand take a look at the TWO (2) S-hawk engines that are taken apart in the shop, Both engines had aftermarket oil filters... ("NOT OUT of Any of My Bikes")
1971allchaos is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
killer5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,728
killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 1971allchaos View Post
This is as funny a thread as, AS the DAM oil threads..
IMO- WHY would you put a oil filter on your motorcycle that is produced by the same manufactor that produces the Purolator.
There are only a few Manufactors of filters(oil, air, hydro). And K&N is not one of those Manufactors..
An if you beleive that any other company spends as much time(racing, research) as Honda, or Toyota, Suzuki has spent over the past decades(over 50 years)..
Then please, use the CHEAPER quality.. The money you save for the oil, filter changes.. Put in your Piggy Bank for the bearing replacement later...

Besides you could comeand take a look at the TWO (2) S-hawk engines that are taken apart in the shop, Both engines had aftermarket oil filters... ("NOT OUT of Any of My Bikes")
Who makes OEM Honda filters?
Here's an interesting site.
OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - ACDelco
killer5280 is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 3,447
VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by darkember View Post
Do remember if you go for the super high flow versions & are using aftermarket cans you will probably need to rejet.
And don't forget to check the muffler bearings. If one of those suckers seizes up, your exhaust flow is screwed.
VTRsurfer is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Belgium, WI
Posts: 1,611
autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280 View Post
Who makes OEM Honda filters?
Here's an interesting site.
OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - ACDelco
Toyo Roki, and it seems like they have nothing but good things to say about them. After my experience with fram filters, I will not advise anyone to use anything but OEM filters for their bikes. I 100% stand behind this endorsement of what may seem to be overly expensive filters.
autoteach is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
killer5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,728
killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach View Post
Toyo Roki, and it seems like they have nothing but good things to say about them. After my experience with fram filters, I will not advise anyone to use anything but OEM filters for their bikes. I 100% stand behind this endorsement of what may seem to be overly expensive filters.
Yes, but there are others equally as good. The assertion was that aftermarket filters caused engine failure. I am doubtful.
The K&N gets especially high marks from this guy.

Last edited by killer5280; 08-08-2011 at 09:05 PM.
killer5280 is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
geekonamotorcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 521
geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
I started using motul 5100 at my last change and it burns off much slower than the motul natural oil.
geekonamotorcycle is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 3,447
VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach View Post
Toyo Roki, and it seems like they have nothing but good things to say about them. After my experience with fram filters, I will not advise anyone to use anything but OEM filters for their bikes. I 100% stand behind this endorsement of what may seem to be overly expensive filters.
+1

I've seen the quality of Fram products decline over the years. For example, 20 years ago Fram was all US made. I used them all the time for my trucks back then. No more... I use only OEM Toyota or Wix.

I've only used OEM Honda since I've owned my Superhawk, and Pro Honda 10w40... 50,987 miles.
VTRsurfer is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
killer5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,728
killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer View Post
+1

I've seen the quality of Fram products decline over the years. For example, 20 years ago Fram was all US made. I used them all the time for my trucks back then. No more... I use only OEM Toyota or Wix.

I've only used OEM Honda since I've owned my Superhawk, and Pro Honda 10w40... 50,987 miles.
This really is like an oil thread.
killer5280 is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
7moore7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,867
7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I'm starting to get the hang of this. So pretty much the more regularly that something needs to be replaced, along with the number of options that are available, the more it will be discussed without definite conclusions...

What kind of toothpaste does everyone use?
7moore7 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N Oil Filter - Comments Please


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands