SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   K&N Oil Filter - Comments Please (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/k-n-oil-filter-comments-please-26312/)

ruajohnson 08-06-2011 10:17 AM

K&N Oil Filter - Comments Please

Any suggestions on this? Should I stay with the Honda OEM filter or is the K&N a good replacement?

saige 08-06-2011 10:22 AM

i use K&N,and i like it.it sucks it cost twice as much,i never had any problem with them at all.if you dont mind the money.i think there better to use.

ruajohnson 08-06-2011 10:24 AM

thanks for the quick reply. I wanted to switch over to the KN filter and the Mobil 4T oil. Any suggestions on a type of brake fluid to use? I know it's DOT4 but is there one brand that is better than the rest?

killer5280 08-06-2011 10:33 AM

I use whatever is the cheapest filter I can find for an older Mazda Miata. 3 bucks or so. I have a Bosch #3300 filter on there now.
I wouldn't pay twice as much as an OEM Honda filter for a K&N, but if it makes you sleep better then go for it.

8541Hawk 08-06-2011 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ruajohnson (Post 310857)
Any suggestions on a type of brake fluid to use? I know it's DOT4 but is there one brand that is better than the rest?

How much do you want to spend???

But if you don't want to spend hundreds on a bottle of brake fluid the try some Motul RBF600. ;)

ruajohnson 08-06-2011 10:52 AM

How often does everyone here change their oil? The manual says every 8k miles but that seems super high to me.

ruajohnson 08-06-2011 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 310862)
How much do you want to spend???

But if you don't want to spend hundreds on a bottle of brake fluid the try some Motul RBF600. ;)

I swear you always have a good reply for everything! I was thinking something realistic. lol

scottiemann 08-06-2011 10:59 AM

I used the k&n filter a few times and like it but it is pricey... now I use the bosch filters because I can get a discount on them (I work at a parts store)... I wouldnt go with a cheap fram or stp or equivelent but thats just me...

in other words if you want "top of the line" go with a k&n... they make it specifically for bikes so you know your getting a good k&n product with the right flow characteristics..

As for brake fluid I use castrol, I forget the exact name, but its made for motorsports... however if you change your brake fluid regularly and dont tract your bike every weekend you shouldnt have a problem with standard dot 4...

scottiemann 08-06-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ruajohnson (Post 310863)
How often does everyone here change their oil? The manual says every 8k miles but that seems super high to me.

I change mine atleast once a season if not twice depending on how much riding I do and how hard I ride on a consistent basis... basically every 1500-4000 miles

VTRumble 08-06-2011 04:01 PM

Here you go:
Motorcycle Oil and Filters

It's actually a pretty good read.
Check out some of the links in the page, like all about oil, and all about oil filters. Also the link on the left about break-in.

autoteach 08-06-2011 05:05 PM

ATE Super Blue!!

Vegiepower 08-08-2011 09:57 AM

I have a brand new K&N filter available. I bought one before realizing my newly purchased bike already had one...

Torie

CrankenFine 08-08-2011 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by VTRumble (Post 310878)
Here you go:
Motorcycle Oil and Filters

It's actually a pretty good read.
Check out some of the links in the page, like all about oil, and all about oil filters. Also the link on the left about break-in.

+1 After reading this info I basically decided there's no reason to use anything other than the Mobil 1 filter & oil - both easy to find and reasonable in cost.

davidka 08-08-2011 10:56 AM

Rotella T non-syn and Supertech filter from Wal-Mart for me. Bike runs and shifts great.

Old Yeller 08-08-2011 12:56 PM

A filter thread is almost as good as an oil thread. :D

I use Fram filters and Mobil 1 synth MC oil and change them every 2500 miles.

As for brake fluid, I buy the auto shop brand. I change mine very regularly.

8541Hawk 08-08-2011 02:12 PM

Well they are handy if you safety wire your filter, as they make it real easy.

Though I use the filter I like and the oil that makes me happy..... ;)

darkember 08-08-2011 02:16 PM

Do remember if you go for the super high flow versions & are using aftermarket cans you will probably need to rejet.

speedkelly@aol.com 08-08-2011 03:16 PM

I use the K&N filters, I like that its real easy to safety wire them. Also easy to remove and install. I change oil every 3000 miles, and oil fliter every 6000 miles. Brake fluid, any better quality motorcycle fluid.

7moore7 08-08-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by darkember (Post 311018)
Do remember if you go for the super high flow versions & are using aftermarket cans you will probably need to rejet.

And oil jets are damn expensive and hard to install, so keep that in mind :eek:

CrankenFine 08-08-2011 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 311025)
And oil jets are damn expensive and hard to install, so keep that in mind :eek:

But aftermarket oil cans are easy to find, so it all works out about the same right?

7moore7 08-08-2011 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 311026)
But aftermarket oil cans are easy to find, so it all works out about the same right?

None of it is very worth it unless you also get a custom oil map for your ECU to match the system, though haha!

1971allchaos 08-08-2011 08:15 PM

This is as funny a thread as, AS the DAM oil threads..
IMO- WHY would you put a oil filter on your motorcycle that is produced by the same manufactor that produces the Purolator.
There are only a few Manufactors of filters(oil, air, hydro). And K&N is not one of those Manufactors..
An if you beleive that any other company spends as much time(racing, research) as Honda, or Toyota, Suzuki has spent over the past decades(over 50 years)..
Then please, use the CHEAPER quality.. The money you save for the oil, filter changes.. Put in your Piggy Bank for the bearing replacement later...

Besides you could comeand take a look at the TWO (2) S-hawk engines that are taken apart in the shop, Both engines had aftermarket oil filters... ("NOT OUT of Any of My Bikes")

killer5280 08-08-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos (Post 311052)
This is as funny a thread as, AS the DAM oil threads..
IMO- WHY would you put a oil filter on your motorcycle that is produced by the same manufactor that produces the Purolator.
There are only a few Manufactors of filters(oil, air, hydro). And K&N is not one of those Manufactors..
An if you beleive that any other company spends as much time(racing, research) as Honda, or Toyota, Suzuki has spent over the past decades(over 50 years)..
Then please, use the CHEAPER quality.. The money you save for the oil, filter changes.. Put in your Piggy Bank for the bearing replacement later...

Besides you could comeand take a look at the TWO (2) S-hawk engines that are taken apart in the shop, Both engines had aftermarket oil filters... ("NOT OUT of Any of My Bikes")

Who makes OEM Honda filters?
Here's an interesting site.
OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - ACDelco

VTRsurfer 08-08-2011 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by darkember (Post 311018)

And don't forget to check the muffler bearings. If one of those suckers seizes up, your exhaust flow is screwed.

autoteach 08-08-2011 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 311054)
Who makes OEM Honda filters?
Here's an interesting site.
OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - ACDelco

Toyo Roki, and it seems like they have nothing but good things to say about them. After my experience with fram filters, I will not advise anyone to use anything but OEM filters for their bikes. I 100% stand behind this endorsement of what may seem to be overly expensive filters.

killer5280 08-08-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 311057)
Toyo Roki, and it seems like they have nothing but good things to say about them. After my experience with fram filters, I will not advise anyone to use anything but OEM filters for their bikes. I 100% stand behind this endorsement of what may seem to be overly expensive filters.

Yes, but there are others equally as good. The assertion was that aftermarket filters caused engine failure. I am doubtful.
The K&N gets especially high marks from this guy.

geekonamotorcycle 08-08-2011 09:06 PM

I started using motul 5100 at my last change and it burns off much slower than the motul natural oil.

VTRsurfer 08-08-2011 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 311057)

+1

I've seen the quality of Fram products decline over the years. For example, 20 years ago Fram was all US made. I used them all the time for my trucks back then. No more... I use only OEM Toyota or Wix.

I've only used OEM Honda since I've owned my Superhawk, and Pro Honda 10w40... 50,987 miles.

killer5280 08-08-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 311061)
+1

I've seen the quality of Fram products decline over the years. For example, 20 years ago Fram was all US made. I used them all the time for my trucks back then. No more... I use only OEM Toyota or Wix.

I've only used OEM Honda since I've owned my Superhawk, and Pro Honda 10w40... 50,987 miles.

This really is like an oil thread.:)

7moore7 08-08-2011 10:09 PM

I'm starting to get the hang of this. So pretty much the more regularly that something needs to be replaced, along with the number of options that are available, the more it will be discussed without definite conclusions...

What kind of toothpaste does everyone use?