Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

K&N/Dynojet tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 10:22 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
K&N/Dynojet tuning question

Since installing my Dynojet/K&N I've been happy with the "seat of the pants" results. She definitely pulls harder at the top and bottom end. However the power curve isn't as linear as before in that there is a somewhat of flat spot 5-6k at times. For instance if your hard on it you wont notice it but if you put it in a high gear and give it some gas, you can feel its not pulling as hard through that rev range. Not a big deal though, but it would be nice to tune out. I also get pretty good exhaust popping on deceleration.

So I thought I was running rich and did the plug chop test (full and half throttle) and the weird thing is that both plugs looked very close to the same, very clean with light tan or no color on only one side of the electrode insulator. The plugs didn't change front one test to the other in that they still looked the same. My pipes are fairly black and smudgy. Engine runs cool, fires up instantly and idles perfect. Great throttle response.

Any ideas?

Sea level
PAIR system disabled
K&N
Dynojet: 185 front, 190 rear, AF mixture 2.5 turns out, needle on the 5th clip
Old 07-04-2005, 10:30 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
You're probably having a problem in the transition from needles to mains. You may need to go one size bigger on the mains.

I describe a lean condition as being like a cough or stumble and a rich condition as being like clearing your throat or a burble.

Think of your jetting in terms of throttle opening. Closed to crack open is the idle circuit. Crack open to, say, 2/3 open is the needle circuit. Wide open is the main circuit. These are your three main variables in carb tuning. Things like emulsion tubes and float levels can also affect tuning. But jets and needles are the main tunable items.

Jetting is notoriously hard to do on the internet, though, so I'm hoping this explanation can help you to describe what you are seeing.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:49 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: K&N/Dynojet tuning question

Thanks for your help. I thought the plugs were going to be black, especially the rear.