Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Just replaced CCT, now bike runs like crap??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tebs
Hello, what do you mean by check the petcock with a vacuum? Can you please explain the process?
The VTR petcock is open and closed using engine vacuum.

If faulty.. it can:

Not open, or open all the way.
Leak vacuum to atmosphere causing a lean condition.
Leak vacuum causing raw fuel to be drawn into the vac ports on the head (so that making unmetered fuel getting in to the intake)
Fuel leaking to the ground (you'd see --smell that one)

Use a vac source like a mity vac tool, and apply a vacuum to the petcock port.. it should hold steady.. if it drops or bleeds off you have a problem, also check for fuel flow when you have a vacuum on the petcock port.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Thanks E, I'll double check petcock vacuum when I get home tonight.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Back Marker

What a humbling and time consuming experience this has turned out to be. I followed the posted instructions to a T and looks like the cam did jump a tooth - perhaps 2. These are the best pics my camera will take - I know it is hard to see but its the cam on the right (intake I believe) that is further clockwise a tooth or 2 compared to the cam on the right.

I'm going to read through the instructions to see if there is anything I can do to remedy this situation - feel free to chime in. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Just replaced CCT, now bike runs like crap??-dsc00662.jpg   Just replaced CCT, now bike runs like crap??-dsc00663.jpg  
Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
I took the bridges off and spun the sprockets back into place while lifting the chain.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:00 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kardiac996
I took the bridges off and spun the sprockets back into place while lifting the chain.
+1 you can sort of inch the chain over the sprockets.

Because it's not 180 out or anything it must have just skipped a tooth when removing the old CCT.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Back Marker

I'm doing something wrong - I removed the bridge, loosened the manual CCT all the way back out and I cant seem to get enough slack in the timing chain all the way around the sprocket to reset the cam.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Back Marker

I'm doing something wrong - I removed the bridge, loosened the manual CCT all the way back out and I cant seem to get enough slack in the timing chain all the way around the sprocket to reset the cam.

Take the spark plug out should release some pressure in the cylinder. I think i spun mine with it out and in neutral. Are you in gear?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
MotoGP

Hmmm, is there any slack on the non-cct side?

Edit: What Kardiac said.... the cam drive gear at the bottom has to be able to rotate so you can pull all the slack to the CCT side.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Back Marker

Yeah I am in gear and the spark plug is in. I'll put in neutral and remove the spark plug then retry. I appreciate your help!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Back Marker

Should be the in gear that's stopping you. I just happen to pull plugs when working on cams. I like to check how they are looking as well.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you definitely have slack in the chain under the crank gear. Very easy to do when swapping out CCT's. Do whatever you need to do to get the cam timing aligned, by having it in neutral, and the spark plug out, but MAKE SURE you then double check your crank timing after the cam timing looks right. Then when you do tighten the cam chain tensioner, make sure you turn over the motor through multiple strokes by hand to makes sure you don't have and more slack trapped below the crank gear.

The safest way to do this, and easiest to manipulate cam timing, which I had to do anyway since i had to pull cams for valve adjustment this summer, is to do as the manual states and unbolt the the cam gears from the cams. Then you can mount the gears in the cam chain and rotating on the the end of the cams (just not bolted directly to them), and not risk any contact with valve to piston while trying to get timing just right. Just do one cylinder at a time, so you have a known reference.

-R
Old 09-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Back Marker

Looks like wyldrice suggestion may be the only option at this point. Spark plug removed, bike in neutral and I still cant get the chain to move one single tooth. ARGH!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you get at it by dropping the pan?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thetophatflash
Can you get at it by dropping the pan?
Way easier just to undo the cam bolts so that the gears can sort of tilt down than to do this IMO. (like Mr. Wild Rice said)

Just make sure to torque them back down correctly when you're done.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Back Marker

Do I need to unblot both or just one? If I remove both how will I know I will be at the correct timing? (Its still at TDC for the front cylinder).
Old 09-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
PM sent.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:29 PM
MotoGP

I would try to just unbolt the one closest to the CCT first. Keeping all of the slack out of the non CCT side ensures that you keep timing. Even if you take the cams all of the way off you can re-set it with this process.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Back Marker

Thanks again everyone, I'll update tomorrow as I'm diving in the beer pond the rest of the evening. So close.....
Old 09-07-2012, 06:02 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I had to remove my cams when I needed to reset the timing, its easier than spinning the crank and having to recheck the crank timing. Just put them back in so they are timed, the mark's will not line up perfectly with the head but they should've extremely close.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:21 AM
The Pirate Sportbiker
Squid

VTArrrgh! is on a distinguished road
Guys, if the cam jumps time, does it advance or retard? If it advances, isn't this where his running condition is coming from? If the cam is advanced but idles, but doesn't run worth a damn with throttle, would it be because the TPS is also advancing the ignition? You know what I'm gettin' at?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:59 AM
aja
SuperSport

Either way it doesn't matter, its still out of time with the crank and other cam, giving him this condition.

Timing advancing or retarding is achieved by changing the degrees before TDC that spark is provided, not the actual timing of the engine. You can't position the cams however you want and make up for it by advancing ignition.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Back Marker

I just tried to fart around with this again and I can get to 3 out of 4 cam bolts easy enough its just the forth one (of course on the intake cam - the one that needs to move one tooth) is going to be a reach to get to. Taking it off is one thing, lining it up and putting it back without dropping the bolt in the casing is another.

I dont know, going to think it over again before I start removing cam gear. Much more of a project than I wanted to get into that is for sure.(Too bad it isnt gear driving like my VFR was!)
Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

I just tried to fart around with this again and I can get to 3 out of 4 cam bolts easy enough its just the forth one (of course on the intake cam - the one that needs to move one tooth) is going to be a reach to get to. Taking it off is one thing, lining it up and putting it back without dropping the bolt in the casing is another.

I dont know, going to think it over again before I start removing cam gear. Much more of a project than I wanted to get into that is for sure.(Too bad it isnt gear driving like my VFR was!)
What, what, 4 bolts?.. your not trying to remove the cam sprockets from the cams are you?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Presumably you are deep down & dirt on the front pot?

Stuff some intact rag down open orifices to catch any loose items from doing any further harm.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:49 PM
aja
SuperSport

Dont remove the sprockets. Remove the covers that hold the cams in place and the entire cam and sprocket easily moves. You only need to remove one cam to move the chain.

I second the rag idea. I dropped the chain guide bolt into my rear head when I did my ccts, that was a HUGE pain in the *** that involved dropping the oil pan and getting lucky with a magnet stuck up into the engine.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Back Marker

Okay dont remove the sprockets just the cams I misunderstood- update coming soon.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Back Marker

UPDATE: Okay zipped tied exhaust valve (just in case) removed cam bolts, moved intake cam one tooth and reinstalled. Put cam retainer on, cam chain guide, reinstalled cct, (bike in neutral - will not go into gear -any gear at this point???) and checked timing. Found RT rotating the crank - dead nuts on!!

Rotated crank 450 degrees (1 1/4 turn counterclock wise) NO CLICKs NO FUNNY NOISES and found TDC on front "FT" mark - still one tooth off.

Could it have jumped 2 teeth to begin with earlier in the week and I only thought it needed one? Maybe, so I'll repeat the steps tomorrow and do it all again. Beerthirty done for the day!

Again THANK YOU guys for all your support I feel like youre in the garage with me! Update tomorrow....
Old 09-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

did you loosen those cam sprocket bolts? If so, you not have a further issue to deal with.. Cam timing....
Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
its good to see you almost there.
i had the same problem when i did mine.mine was 2 teeth off.
i was able to loosen chain,i did things super turtle slow to not move anything else,rotated 2 back.and ran like charm.
good luck,and have a beer for me.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Back Marker

Thanks Saige! I'm not setting any land speed records and thank god I'm not a flat rate mechanic! Warsteiner Dunkel work for you?

Quick Reply: Just replaced CCT, now bike runs like crap??