SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Just replaced CCT, now bike runs like crap?? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/just-replaced-cct-now-bike-runs-like-crap-29136/)

Tebs 09-05-2012 12:52 PM

Just replaced CCT, now bike runs like crap??

Hi everyone,

I posted an earlier thread about my APE CCT replacment so I wont rehash everything but my bike runs like abxolute sheet after doing so!

My timing was perfect I know because I triple checked everything along the way. REPEAT the timing was perfect I triple checked everything.

I now tore down everything again to make sure everything was connected (air box, fuel lines, fuel on etc) and all was connected. I reconnected everything and its starts fine, idles fine (with and without the choke) but as soon as I give it the slightest bit of throttle it pops through the airbox and or just effing dies. REPEAT it idles perfectly...

I'm frustrated beyond frustrated. I never touched the PAIR removal as I simply wanted to one thing at a time. Based on the symptoms above anyone have advise on what to do next? I appreciate your help in advance.

aja 09-05-2012 12:56 PM

Did you remove the carbs when you changed the cct?

Tebs 09-05-2012 01:00 PM

Hello, no I never removed the front timing cover nor carbs - just the rear timing cover. The only thing carb related I removed were the velocity stacks little in the front tall one in the rear. All airbox connections are connected. Something is blocked or not connected that was before but I just cant find it.

7moore7 09-05-2012 01:16 PM

PVLIR? make sure the little vacuum hose that goes to the petcock runs to the back/sideways nipple and not the breather vent pointing down.

Erik S. 09-05-2012 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 341321)
PVLIR? make sure the little vacuum hose that goes to the petcock runs to the back/sideways nipple and not the breather vent pointing down.

Glad you posted, I couldn't remember the acronym, but I knew the symptoms.

Tebs 09-05-2012 01:18 PM

I think you are onto something.....I will head to the garage and report back. I appreciate it.

kardiac996 09-05-2012 01:25 PM

I ran into a similar dilemma on first tear down but I also think its the way the tank was reconnected as 7moore7 suggested.

superchickencornermonster 09-05-2012 01:30 PM

I am also guilty of messing up the vacuum actuator.

Tebs 09-05-2012 01:44 PM

Well I did have that connected wrong, and I thought that was it, but after starting it back up it now has the same symptoms (idles fine runs like crap when I twist the throttle) and now a tick tick tick coming from the rear of the bike. Fudge now what?

Tebs 09-05-2012 01:52 PM

Now things are turning for the worse. It wont even start even with the choke all the way out. Its like its not getting fuel although the petcock is turned to ON and all hoses are (now) correctly connected. Whats next any suggstions?:confused:

E.Marquez 09-05-2012 01:57 PM

The obvious point to recommend checking is one your insistent you have right..
Timing.
The problem is,, the same person that set the timing is the one that cheeked it two more times... If your understanding or procedure is wrong,, you’re not going to find the mistake. Have another person experienced or not.. have then read though the timing procedures.. Remove BOTH valve covers so you can see the cam positioning, and check the timing again.

Tebs 09-05-2012 02:04 PM

Looks like I'm going to have to head that direction. But if it was timing that was off, why did it run in the first place and then get worse AFTER I correctly hooked up the vacuum to the petcock? It barely turns over now with the choke all the way out and then dies after a few seconds. Damn I was being so careful to avoid this.

E.Marquez 09-05-2012 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tebs (Post 341333)
Looks like I'm going to have to head that direction. But if it was timing that was off, why did it run in the first place and then get worse AFTER I correctly hooked up the vacuum to the petcock? It barely turns over now with the choke all the way out and then dies after a few seconds. Damn I was being so careful to avoid this.

It may not be timing,,, but it is the most critical thing it COULD BE that you need to rule out as part of the diagnostic process..

HRCA#1 09-05-2012 02:16 PM

If you were wrong on the timing that ticking your hearing may be a bent valve, and no it won't run for long.

Begin at the begining, follow E.Marquez's advice and you will identify the problem.

Tebs 09-05-2012 02:20 PM

I hear ya, starting tear down now...

Tebs 09-05-2012 02:52 PM

Okay tear down started, rear cover off, crank sitting at the RT on the crank mark. I'm at TDC for the REAR and I am sure because the RT is on the line, and the valves RI vavle is set at the 3 oclock position to the right (just above the case) and RE valve is set at the 9 oclock position on the left (just above the case). (IE they are 180 degress apart and therefore at TDC for the REAR - right?)

So can we all agreed I am correctly on TDC for the rear on the compression stroke? (If not this is where my problem begins).

If so the next step is to find the FT so we (I) can find TDC for the front correct? (Going to grab a bit in the kitchen back in 15 mins).

7moore7 09-05-2012 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Tebs (Post 341340)
So can we all agreed I am correctly on TDC for the rear on the compression stroke? (If not this is where my problem begins).

Cam lobes look like this for the rear cylinder at TDC:

Attachment 24255

Which it sounds like you lined up the marks correctly to do this.

Tebs 09-05-2012 03:19 PM

Exactly ! Now I turn the engine counter clockwise 450 degrees (1 and 1/4) to find TDC of the FRONT aligned with the FT mark correct?

aja 09-05-2012 03:25 PM

How can you be sure you had the timing correct the first three times when you didn t remove the front valve cover and you are not sure about the cam positions?

7moore7 09-05-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tebs (Post 341343)
Exactly ! Now I turn the engine counter clockwise 450 degrees (1 and 1/4) to find TDC of the FRONT aligned with the FT mark correct?

Correct.

Tebs 09-05-2012 03:34 PM

Agreed but I went off the directions (find rear TDC, cams look just like the ones in the above pic,replace CCT, rotate 450 degrees counter clockwise 1 1/4 turns and I should be at TDC on the FT for the front - per the SH forum instructions.)

So tonight I will remove the front cover and confirm front TDC.

I believe it is somehow not getting fuel (even though the petcock was open). Back in a half hour - keep the replys coming as I really appreciate all the help.

Tweety 09-05-2012 03:57 PM

It's likely that you tore the petcock diaphragm when you hooked it up wrong...

TJ91 09-05-2012 04:34 PM

Wish I could help but im just learning all of this but glad this thread came up. Learning alot from this Best of luck man, keep us posted! Wonder if Tweety is right about the diaphram

Tebs 09-05-2012 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I'm back now and must put the remainder off until tomorrow. I just did a search and couldnt find a post that had the easiest way for front cam cover removal. Please advise if you do and I'll update tomorrow with regard to timing. Perhaps we could take a poll to see if I got it right :) - just kidding.

I'll check ebay and perhaps call a Stealership to see if anyone has a petcock in stock. Again thanks for all your help and keep it coming!

BTW here is a pic as the rear cams at TDC on the compression stroke - half way there!

VTArrrgh! 09-05-2012 05:54 PM

The hardest part of removing the front cover is getting at the top cam cover bolts. If I remember right, I didn't do anything but "remove" the oil cooler. I was able to fight my way to both the upper bolts and remove 'em, then wrestle the cover outta there. I put "remove" in quotations, because I didn't actually disconnect it from the bike, I just removed it from its mount and let it drop down and out of the way.

Good luck, buddy. My front cams jumped time when I replaced the front CCT. It scared me and pissed me off, but really, it was a pretty easy fix. Just a lot of effing around...

zxbud 09-05-2012 06:36 PM

Hoses

Originally Posted by Tebs (Post 341352)
Okay I'm back now and must put the remainder off until tomorrow. I just did a search and couldnt find a post that had the easiest way for front cam cover removal. Please advise if you do and I'll update tomorrow with regard to timing. Perhaps we could take a poll to see if I got it right :) - just kidding.

I'll check ebay and perhaps call a Stealership to see if anyone has a petcock in stock. Again thanks for all your help and keep it coming!

BTW here is a pic as the rear cams at TDC on the compression stroke - half way there!

Fuel should run out of the hoses when you pulled them off the petcock. Did it?

Tebs 09-05-2012 07:24 PM

The only time fuel ran out of the hoses is when I disconnected them for the very first time - 3 days ago. I'm going to pull the front cam cover and post a pics of the cams to see if we have correct timing. If timing is correct on to the fuel issue. Thanks for the replys - feel free to chyme in if you have any more thoughts.

BTW the bike is a 1998 with just 15,303 miles.

aja 09-05-2012 07:37 PM

Ya, remove or move the oil cooler, and you will need a 6 inch extension. It takes some twisting and shifting to get it off and on, but it will.

Did you have a cct fail or is this just preventative?

Tebs 09-05-2012 08:02 PM

Hi aja, I just replaced the stock CCTS with APE (preventative) last night and got everything buttoned up this morning. Then had the running rough issues.

Tebs 09-06-2012 09:29 AM

Hello, what do you mean by check the petcock with a vacuum? Can you please explain the process?