Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Jet Kit Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 AM
Squid

hondahawk is on a distinguished road
Jet Kit Recommendations

So I went to my local mechanic, who used to do a lot of tuning on bikes and one superhawk for a colleague of his.

The PO removed a set of baffles from the stock exhaust and the mechanic said that I should be able to take care of the problem(no/very little power between 6 and 7k RPMs) with the new jet kit.

I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for the new jets. I believe it has the stock set in which should be 45 pilot and 170 main?

Thank you
Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Squid
Squid

franz125 is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-set-up-24769/
Read this thread and you got your answers.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
And buy Jack's adjustable mixture screws...

James
Old 03-19-2015, 07:06 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedeatons
And buy Jack's adjustable mixture screws...

James
+1
Old 03-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Squid

Well... opened up the carbs after receiving my jet kit and found a nice thumb sized split/hole in my front diaphragm... always something else
Old 03-21-2015, 04:28 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
You bought a jet kit? What kind?

Seriously, the best results from hundreds of people on this forum is to simply change the pilots, and adjust the fuel mixture screws... Assuming you only have a modded exhaust.

Did you read that jetting thread?

James
Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 AM
Squid

Yea, it seemed to be solving more of the low-end problem rather than my mid/high end, plus I hope to keep adding aftermarket parts on the bike so the Dyno kit seemed like the best long-term solution.

PS. This is the correct site for krieger CCT's right? I guess its linking the header. Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners
Old 03-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
"Yea, it seemed to be solving more of the low-end problem rather than my mid/high end, plus I hope to keep adding aftermarket parts on the bike so the Dyno kit seemed like the best long-term solution."

You may want to read it again.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:46 AM
Superstock

"PS. This is the correct site for krieger CCT's right? I guess its linking the header"

Yes, just email him (bottom of page) and he will send you a quote.
I just installed mine last night as a matter of fact. I give Krieger excellent reviews based on my experience with him.

The '98 originals held up for nearly 40k miles.
Name:  krieger2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  94.5 KB

Also, if you would, let us know where you end up buying new carb diaphrams.

Last edited by Hangfly; 03-23-2015 at 07:52 AM. Reason: more questions, comments
Old 03-23-2015, 07:06 AM
Squid

Save 25% on OEM Motorcycle Parts | MotoSport there's the link to the list of them. Should all be the same part for each year from what I'm seeing. They had the cheapest I could find at $82 a piece where most places were showing $100 or so. Also free shipping.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Hangfly. Based on the photo of the installed Keiger CCTs you posted, I'm thinking that unless they come with a shorter adjusting bolt now, yours is way too tight. Mine doesn't look anywhere close to your. I could be way off on this, but it's something that gave me cause for concern.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:18 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by xeris
Hangfly. Based on the photo of the installed Keiger CCTs you posted, I'm thinking that unless they come with a shorter adjusting bolt now, yours is way too tight. Mine doesn't look anywhere close to your. I could be way off on this, but it's something that gave me cause for concern.
Thanks for the "heads up" fellow HG pilot. Krieger's instructions say to install the short one on the rear chain, but I may be wrong. The adjuster is not too tight since I pulled the cover and looked down at my work. The adjustment is "finger tight" . But I may have to swap them. I need to add lock tight any way.
Dan
Old 03-23-2015, 07:38 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Hangfly
Thanks for the "heads up" fellow HG pilot. Krieger's instructions say to install the short one on the rear chain, but I may be wrong. The adjuster is not too tight since I pulled the cover and looked down at my work. The adjustment is "finger tight" . But I may have to swap them. I need to add lock tight any way.
Dan
The rear does get the short one, but I have about a half inch of thread showing. The front is about twice that. If you had the covers off and the slack in the chain was OK, then.....
Don't want you to launch not clipped in.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Superstock

The rear does get the short one, but I have about a half inch of thread showing. The front is about twice that. If you had the covers off and the slack in the chain was OK, then.....
Don't want you to launch not clipped in.
Maybe my chains are loosey goosey.

Unhooked, Oh boy. Only did that once. Luckily is was during a tow and I avoided disaster.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 AM
SuperBike

My apologizes for the thread hi-jack.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by hondahawk
Save 25% on OEM Motorcycle Parts | MotoSport there's the link to the list of them. Should all be the same part for each year from what I'm seeing. They had the cheapest I could find at $82 a piece where most places were showing $100 or so. Also free shipping.
Does this below include the diaphram?

1998 Honda SUPER HAWK - VTR1000
PISTON, VACUUM (16111-MBB-640)
Old 03-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Superstock

My apologizes for the thread hi-jack.
Yes, same here. I started the hijacking.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Squid

Does this below include the diaphram?

1998 Honda SUPER HAWK - VTR1000
PISTON, VACUUM (16111-MBB-640)
Save 20% on 1999 Honda SUPER HAWK - VTR1000 OEM Carburetor Component Parts | MotoSport

Yes, here is the whole carb assembly diagram. Part #22 links to what I listed above, the diaphragm and the piston are all 1 piece.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Re-read the carb setup thread.

I'd save your Dynojet Kit $$$, keep stock needles (and maybe add a 0.20" #4 brass washer as a shim if you need to), keep stock #45 pilots, and increase your main jet sizes slightly ($15 for a pair of mains) and you'll be good to go. I ended up at 178F, 182R and could have done one step richer on both, but didn't feel like another trip into the carbs.

Make sure you have a stock filter and airbox first, and synch your carbs, or all this goes out the window.

The jack flash thumb screws are a nice addition for adjusting your idle mixture. I put them on my bike and it is handy.

A Dyno run with exhaust gas monitoring can help you make these decisions pretty cheaply.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Dan
Since you have to pull them off again anyways, follow this tutorial here and make sure you have the correct tension on the cam chains. It really helps seeing pictures of everything.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by AndyMX47
I'd save your Dynojet Kit $$$, keep stock needles (and maybe add a 0.20" #4 brass washer as a shim if you need to), keep stock #45 pilots, and increase your main jet sizes slightly ($15 for a pair of mains) and you'll be good to go. I ended up at 178F, 182R and could have done one step richer on both, but didn't feel like another trip into the carbs.

Make sure you have a stock filter and airbox first, and synch your carbs, or all this goes out the window.

The jack flash thumb screws are a nice addition for adjusting your idle mixture. I put them on my bike and it is handy.

A Dyno run with exhaust gas monitoring can help you make these decisions pretty cheaply.
Already received and installed the Dyno jet kit, it recommended a 180F and 185R with my stock airbox, filter, and my modified exhaust. Carbs should be synched but thats on the list when I figure out the cheapest/best sync method.

The Dyno's needles are adjustable in the height department. What you're recommending seems like what I'll be doing, "shimming" the needle and going up on mains. But I'll also be drilling that hole in the vacuum piston which is making me nervous now($160 in parts)... and putting shorter springs in.

I don't know how many times I can read that carb setup guide. I understand what they're talking about. It's all trial and error so either way I'm learning how my bike will react. Maybe changing the pilot and shimming would have done it, hopefully this will also. Thanks again. Will keep updating.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hondahawk
Already received and installed the Dyno jet kit, it recommended a 180F and 185R with my stock airbox, filter, and my modified exhaust. Carbs should be synched but thats on the list when I figure out the cheapest/best sync method.

The Dyno's needles are adjustable in the height department. What you're recommending seems like what I'll be doing, "shimming" the needle and going up on mains. But I'll also be drilling that hole in the vacuum piston which is making me nervous now($160 in parts)... and putting shorter springs in.

I don't know how many times I can read that carb setup guide. I understand what they're talking about. It's all trial and error so either way I'm learning how my bike will react. Maybe changing the pilot and shimming would have done it, hopefully this will also. Thanks again. Will keep updating.
Through the years being on this site, I have seen quite a few people epoxy that Dyno Jet hole shut after having issues. Not saying don't do it, but just thought I would throw that out there. Try it out before you drill the hole.

Edit: Here's a fantastic guide to tuning a Dynojet kit...click here.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 03-23-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Information
Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Squid

For sure, it sounds like I shouldn't drill the holes or put the shorter springs in, more wasted monies... Hopefully it all works the first time with the new mains and lifting the needles. Lol the odds...
Old 03-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Back Marker

My fearless predictions:

The DJ 180/185 mains you have will be close to right or slightly rich (DJ mains flow slightly more than stock mains) and the needles will also be close or slightly rich in the mid-range (they have a different taper than stock).

Try how it runs without drilling the extra lift holes - they can be added for free, and epoxied shut for $5 if you decide they are an error.

I bought my bike used with K&N, TBR pipes and DynoJet kit with drilled slides.

Tossed the K&N - instantly better bottom and mid, ran great, was so rich at cruise (4,000 rpm) anyone riding behind me could smell it.

Fought the Dynojet needle clip settings, pulled out the DJ needles, epoxied the extra slide holes shut, replaced with stock needles with one extra shim front, two shims rear, installed stock main jets (175/178). Stinky richness gone, slight hesitation when whacking the throttle wide open.

A run on the Dyno showed a brief lean surge when whacking the throttle (slides moving too slowly), slightly too rich at cruising rpm under steady state, slightly lean at WOT high rpm.

End result:

Re-drilled the extra lift holes (to fix MY momentary lean surge - your results may vary), pulled a needle shim from the rear needle (now both have 1 extra shim over stock), went to 178F/182R main jets = runs like a raped ape, wheelies any time you whack the throttle above 3,500rpm in 1st, power wheelies at about 6,500 under WOT.

Reminder:

Only fix the problems you know you have - I'd start with replacing the slide with the torn diaphragm, and see how it runs. If the bike runs or acts lean at certain RPM, adjust accordingly - pilot and fuel screw primarily for idle and low rpm and low throttle settings, needle height for mid-range, lift holes to adjust how quickly slides open, main jets for WOT and high rpm.

Realize each portion of the carb affects the others.

The $70 I spent with a good Dyno operator (he knew what I wanted to achieve - good all around performance and throttle response, not just WOT top end HP) with an exhaust gas meter saved me two or three more trips into my carbs that it would have taken using trial and error.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Squid

Sounds good thank you thank for the tips! Ill stick with my 180F, 185R, and lift the needle according to the kit. I won't be drilling the hole but should I install the shorter springs that came with the kit, I know mine could be different but you mentioned a lag in the lift on yours?
Old 03-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Back Marker

I stayed with the stock springs.

The DJ springs are shorter in length, but appear to have the same # of coils per inch, and same thickness wire (as measured with my cheap-o calipers), which would indicate they are probably the same spring rate.

Rumors on the 'net say don't use the DJ springs, they are softer than stock, but I'm not sure there is a conclusive advantage or disadvantage to them.

From what I can see they shouldn't make much of a difference either way - but that is my very unscientific analysis.

They are easier to install because they are shorter. I reverted to primarily stock to eliminate as many variables as possible.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Back Marker

There definitely is something weird with that CCT - I have the Kreigers, and my rear CCT has about 1/2" of thread showing like Xeris does.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Superstock

There definitely is something weird with that CCT - I have the Kreigers, and my rear CCT has about 1/2" of thread showing like Xeris does.
I did run the threads to the very top of the acorn nut. This way I have a triple locknut. Could that be the odd part?
Do you guys run the locknut against the acorn?
Old 03-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Squid

A run on the Dyno showed a brief lean surge when whacking the throttle (slides moving too slowly), slightly too rich at cruising rpm under steady state, slightly lean at WOT high rpm.
This is why I was asking about the Dyno springs, why did you re-drill the lift hole and not try the other springs? My mechanic was saying the springs should make the slides move easier. I understand there is a difference between speed and ease, just trying to gather as much info on this as possible.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Back Marker

I didn't try the other springs for two reasons (not saying I'm right, but it did work - on my bike):

I measured the springs - number of coils per inch, and coil thickness were the same for stock and DynoJet, only the length of the springs is different- so, other than pre-load, they are the same spring rate. Now, how much the 4" of pre-load on the stock springs vs. the 1" of pre-load on the DJ springs affects everything - who knows!

The Dyno operator I was working with recommended the "lift hole with stock springs" approach, and I believed him. Is that approach "right?" - its working pretty well for me, BUT, every engine is slightly different, and we're adjusting portions of the carb circuit at a time, so your results may indeed vary

Sooo, feel free to try the DJ springs first, with no lift hole. If you get a slight hesitation when you whack the throttle wide open - add the lift hole - you can always epoxy it shut. Just come to grips with the fact that you'll probably be making more than one trip into the carbs, depending upon how **** you are!

I could have left my bike well enough alone, and it would have been set up like yours will be, and run quite well, it just would have been stinky rich during cruise. I think it's more responsive and crisp as is, but it took several trips into the carbs and about 8 different pulls on the dyno to get it right.

Last edited by AndyMX47; 03-24-2015 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Jet Kit Recommendations