SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   It's my turn. CCT broke, bad consequences! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/its-my-turn-cct-broke-bad-consequences-25527/)

lazn 07-19-2011 04:32 PM

Well with a manual CCT there is only one step different on the install vs the auto CCTS.

That is: on the Auto CCTs you retract the CCT using the retaining key, install it, then remove the retaining key and you are done.

On the manual CCts you retract the CCT by turning the main bolt, install the CCT then tighten the retaining bolt to the proper tension, then you are done.

It is the "to the proper tension" that makes some people nervous. Really it can be anywhere within 4 or 5 turns of the correct tension and you won't damage anything, just make a lot of noise. But if you WAY over tighten it, or don't tighten it enough, bad things can happen.

Edit: on both you have to properly remove the old CCT, this is the very important don't mess it up, easy to get wrong, hard part of the job.

klx678 07-19-2011 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 309399)
Sometime it feels like I am not even speaking English here.....
It is funny how you latched on to the 5.8% number when it was actually changed to 1.6% to show what is actually on this forum and that number can actually be made smaller if I wanted to take the time and weed through the search as things like the "Post Whoring Newbie Thread" show up in it. I'm just trying to keep the error on the high side to show how small the number really is.

Also that 1.6% number is with no maintenance. I wonder if you never changed the oil and you stood a 1.6% chance of blowing the engine if you would also say the engine or the oil was defective?

The car analogy is also very poor. Most bikes don't see anywhere near the mileage a car does. For most riders 30K is more than they will ever put on there bike or it will take years to get to that mileage (though you conventionally just skipped right past the 6 years or more the "average" rider would need to get to that mileage) so for most it would be a one time thing to replace them.

Also I never said I have a preference either way. In fact I have stated repeatedly that either type of tensioner will do the job just fine.

This whole thing is because of statements saying the stock units should never be used and you have nothing but hysteria to back up your claims.

Like I stated before the whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

You win!

But tell all those poor riders who had their tensioners crap out before the maintenance interval that Honda fabricated, "It is all a problem blown out of proportion." Then You Da Man!

Honestly, the 5.8 was just a cool looking number and I just couldn't resist. I'm thinking Toyota throttle recall was based on less than 1% and was considered an overblown non-issue until Toyota finally 'fessed up. But hey, the numbers are fun.

klx678 07-19-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 309418)
It is the "to the proper tension" that makes some people nervous. Really it can be anywhere within 4 or 5 turns of the correct tension and you won't damage anything, just make a lot of noise. But if you WAY over tighten it, or don't tighten it enough, bad things can happen.

To add a final two cents to your comment...

Based on the instructions given - "finger tighten then back out 1/8-1/4 turn" - the only way one can overtighten them is to ignore that term and use a wrench to tighten down the adjustment as some have done. If one can't follow that simple an instruction for adjustment based on mechanical principles, I regret to say it, one should not be working on one's own bike.

8541Hawk 07-19-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by klx678 (Post 309435)
You win!

But tell all those poor riders who had their tensioners crap out before the maintenance interval that Honda fabricated, "It is all a problem blown out of proportion." Then You Da Man!

Honestly, the 5.8 was just a cool looking number and I just couldn't resist. I'm thinking Toyota throttle recall was based on less than 1% and was considered an overblown non-issue until Toyota finally 'fessed up. But hey, the numbers are fun.

Well it looks like you really can't back up your statements so you feel being condescending and also throwing in a Toyota issue (which isn't a maintenance issue) or the Honda "fabricated" a maintenance interval (but then again, they "fabricate" all their maintenance intervals now don't they, I mean they have to come from somewhere) is a way to save some face, well then more power to you.

Though IMHO it does make you look a bit closed minded and unwilling to look at the true facts of the issue.