Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

integrated tail light issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Squid

willz is on a distinguished road
integrated tail light issue

Hi all!
Got a small electrical issue I hope the wise members of this forum can help me with. So I've had an integrated tail light sitting in a box for a while (like 2-3 years) and thought I'd stick it on today. I read some of the threads on here and watched some youtube and got it all hooked up.

The problem I have is that when I turn a left or right signal on, it turns on and stays on. In other words, it doesn't flash, but is constantly on. Not sure what to do about it. I have stock front signals if that makes a difference. Also, I used to have different LED turn signals in the back that came with my undertail (and have since broken), so I installed an aftermarket resister thing (don't know technical term) up near the R/R a few years ago to slow down the blink rate. Its an '05 Superhawk.

Thanks for any help!
Will
Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by willz
The problem I have is that when I turn a left or right signal on, it turns on and stays on. In other words, it doesn't flash, but is constantly on. Not sure what to do about it. I have stock front signals if that makes a difference. Also, I used to have different LED turn signals in the back that came with my undertail (and have since broken), so I installed an aftermarket resister thing (don't know technical term) up near the R/R a few years ago to slow down the blink rate. Its an '05 Superhawk.

Thanks for any help!
Will
Lets begin with the basics. You mentioned you had led lights prior to this new install, did they flash ? Do the fronts flash, and only the rears stay on ? If so, you've got it wired wrong. If the fronts stay on like the rears, you may have screwed the flasher relay (the thing you installed near the RR).

If you have a multi meter, check voltage when blinkers are on at the bikes green wire connector.

Since you still have stockers up front, you may want to try and remove one from the front, and plugging it in the back, and see what happens then, if you are not equipped with multi meter.

I may be overlooking something, but this should get you going according to what you've given as info.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Lets begin with the basics. You mentioned you had led lights prior to this new install, did they flash ? Do the fronts flash, and only the rears stay on ? If so, you've got it wired wrong. If the fronts stay on like the rears, you may have screwed the flasher relay (the thing you installed near the RR).

If you have a multi meter, check voltage when blinkers are on at the bikes green wire connector.

Since you still have stockers up front, you may want to try and remove one from the front, and plugging it in the back, and see what happens then, if you are not equipped with multi meter.

I may be overlooking something, but this should get you going according to what you've given as info.
Hi Jack. Thanks for the response.

The LED lights I had on before did flash for a while (as did the fronts), but the right solder in the rear kept breaking so I gave up fixing it after a few tries, hence the need for the change. I did always remove the light and wire from the bike before soldering. I'm the first to admit that my soldering skills could use work. So after the last time it broke, the turn signals all just stayed on (without flashing) when I turned them on. Well specifically, the rear ones stopped working and the fronts stayed on. Since then I've just been using hand signals.

Now with the new unit they stay on in the front and the back without flashing. The fronts still stay on as running lights as they always have and get brighter without flashing when I switch on a turn signal.

Hope that gives a little better picture. Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2015, 04:23 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Man I gotta first say to not ride a bike without turn signals. Biking is dangerous enough but it you turn and a car drives into you from behind it will really ruin your day.

Sounds like your flasher has failed. You should either replace it or check it by itself to see if it flashes a light. (it probly wont).

Swapping in a new flasher should solve it and an auto parts store should have one.

But trust me on how dangerous riding without signals is. You should avoid it at all costs.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:46 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Man I gotta first say to not ride a bike without turn signals. Biking is dangerous enough but it you turn and a car drives into you from behind it will really ruin your day.

Sounds like your flasher has failed. You should either replace it or check it by itself to see if it flashes a light. (it probly wont).

Swapping in a new flasher should solve it and an auto parts store should have one.

But trust me on how dangerous riding without signals is. You should avoid it at all costs.
Thanks for the response Joe.

I'm actually starting to think its part of a broader electrical issue with the bike. I'll try replacing the turn signal relay first, and if that doesn't work I'll probably replace the whole wiring harness. The other electrical issue is every time I turn the bike on, the digital trip meter and clock are reset on the dash ('05 model). So there's another problem that also needs to be addressed (and may be part of this issue). Should have included that in the original post to give a better picture.

As far as riding with no turn signals, I understand your concern and agree with you for most riders. Personally, I've ridden sportbikes in heavy city traffic for over 20 years and am comfortable without them. In my neck of the woods, having your turn signals seen is the least of your worries. I currently use hand signals and have for the past 5 years or so. Personal choice...
Old 01-05-2015, 07:56 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Not sure if doing the whole harness is the solution. You more likely have a bad ground connection. The whole harness is a very big job and may not solve the issue.

Check for parasitic loss or a wire worn or not grounded. Look at the connections from the battery and junctions under front of seat, near tail light and at main fuse & regulator rectifier.

And sorry to seem disagreeable but no matter what you think, conspicutity is always a big deal on a bike. Unless you have a problem on the road and have to limp home you are being foolish to not fix that issue.

I have ridden every day here in NYC for 30+yrs & 270K miles in rain, snow etc. Not being seen is a big deal. I have 2 sets of turn signals front and back & would stay up late fixing them if I had to ride the next day.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Squid

Thanks again for the response Joe. Good ideas. I'll definitely check around for a bad ground and worn wires.

As far as turn signals go, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I agree that being seen by other motorists is a big deal, I just don't agree that turn signals vs. no turn signals makes any measurable difference. Its a personal preference to me rather than a safety issue, and non-existent in my risk analysis. Like I said, I'm very comfortable without them. Anyway, we're all entitled to our opinion I suppose. Stay safe out there and thanks again for the advice.