General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Sprocket Cover ??????

Old 03-06-2008, 04:29 AM
Back Marker

smack doogle is on a distinguished road
Sprocket Cover ??????

Alright, got my new SuperHawk (got it almost two weeks ago) changing the chain and sprockets. I've read the manual and searched but I still come up with the same qeustion. When removing the front sprocket cover you have to zip tie the clutch lever to the grip. Yet doing this the clutch rod hangs on when I try to remove the cover so I can only take the cover out a few inches. Is this right? I have room to remove the front sprocket but only from the bottom. I won't mess anything up by leaving the rod in there like that will I? I thought it would disconnect and the cover would come right off. That front sprocket nut is on there also, won't budge and I stripped my socket wrench (not the nut) trying to break it loose. Anyway, any suggestions? Comments?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 AM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Correct me if I'm wrong somebody...but you don't have to zip tie your clutch lever to the grip. I didn't when I installed my front sprocket.
As long as you don't leave the cover off too long you should be alright.
As for the nut...its a toughy! My hawk is a '98 and that nut had never been messed with...so it was tight. I sprayed WD-40, put back on the cover, and let it sit......and repeated this process a few times. After multiple applications of WD-40 I got it to budge. I used a socket wrench and, this might seem excessive but it was all i had, a 10 foot long pipe. I slipped the pipe over the wrench, gave it a tug, and the nut came loose right away.

used the pipe and wrench for my rear sprocket as well.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Back Marker

smack doogle is on a distinguished road
Okay, nevermind, got the sprocket off just fine. Lots and lots of WD40 loosened it up and after two days of sitting it just took a lil muscle. Now I just have to find someone with a damn chain tool to connect my chain and I'll be set. Anyone want a case of beer?