Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Improving Stock Suspension (Front)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Squid

Babelfish is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
The stock shimstack and springs are a joke. The valves themselves can be made to work very well.
Could you give me some details on that greg? Living in Norway I'm obviously not sending a pair of forks to the US for some work, but I know a suspension wizard, and alltough he actually sell race tech and Ohlins stuff I'm sure he wouldn't mind improving on the original instead, and I'm just in the process of removing the forks for service.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Well, that wouldn't exactly be fair to all the guys who have paid me to revalve their forks, now would it? I'll say this much, if you compare the stock Showa valves to those of the Ohlins kit you'll find some definite similarities. Do some heavy research and you might be able to find some decent shimstack data for the Ohlins valves. Or you can do as I have done and do some trial-and-error as well to find out what works, what doesn't, and why.

....Or send your forks to a local professional who makes a living doing it. If this guy you know is worth a damn he will know what to do with the stock valves.