inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
They're all the same.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
They're all the same.
cool thanks does it come with the plastic piece or do I have to remove the filter from the plastic housing? if so do i have to get a tool?

sorry I tried running and search and came up blank.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:39 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Assuming that 03 and 05 are the same, I just replaced mine for the 2nd time 3 weeks ago, and the OEM part number is 17210-MBT-D10 with a list price from the Honda dealer of $54.95.

Are these aftermarket filters they are selling online? For $5 more I'd go for OEM, plus you can always talk the dealer into giving you 10% off on parts.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by supermonie
cool thanks does it come with the plastic piece or do I have to remove the filter from the plastic housing? if so do i have to get a tool?

sorry I tried running and search and came up blank.
It comes as a unit, with the plastic. Hence the high price.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

nah they are the oems i was hoping that the high price meant it came with the housing I would hate to do a fabrication job for something important like inside the airbox its just confusing that they listed three item numbers

thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
$45 at Ron Ayers. Have you tried your local Honda dealer?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Originally Posted by HondaJim
$45 at Ron Ayers. Have you tried your local Honda dealer?
I will do Ron Ayers next time, The guys at my local Honda are kind of jerks, they get all up tight when you ask for a part. I do not think thats a way to run a business so I try to avoid them.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

I will do Ron Ayers next time, The guys at my local Honda are kind of jerks, they get all up tight when you ask for a part. I do not think thats a way to run a business so I try to avoid them.

Bummer. The local dealer here is great to work with, and their prices are cheaper than I can find online for all OEM stuff, and most aftermarket stuff.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:22 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
I have brand new a hiflowfiltro filter (same as stock K&N style).. Ill sell it for $30 shipped if anyones interested..
Old 03-06-2009, 03:43 PM
MotoGP

It's hard to believe, isn't it. You're in business to sell things to customers, but if you drive all your customers away, you're out of business. That's how it should work anyway.

I've dealt with many dealers, car and MC, and it's incredible how many parts salesmen are stuck-up ********. I'm lucky that our local dealer, Mission Motorsports in Irvine, CA, is run like all businesses should be, with employees that treat their customers with respect.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem at my local Honda dealer . On two separate occasions , I have called and asked for OEM parts for a 99 VTR1000f . They put me on hold for a few minutes and come back and say we dont have it , but we can order it ! Then I drive up there and ask for the same part for a 2005 VTR1000f and all the sudden they Have It ! I have come to the conclusion that the minute they here it's a 10 year old bike , that they dont even bother looking ! This happened with a air filter once & then for the crush washers on the bottom of the forks . THEY SUCK ! This is why I only use the dealer if I need the part right then !
Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Bummer. The local dealer here is great to work with, and their prices are cheaper than I can find online for all OEM stuff, and most aftermarket stuff.
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
It's hard to believe, isn't it. You're in business to sell things to customers, but if you drive all your customers away, you're out of business. That's how it should work anyway.

I've dealt with many dealers, car and MC, and it's incredible how many parts salesmen are stuck-up ********. I'm lucky that our local dealer, Mission Motorsports in Irvine, CA, is run like all businesses should be, with employees that treat their customers with respect.
Originally Posted by HRCVTR1000
I have the same problem at my local Honda dealer . On two separate occasions , I have called and asked for OEM parts for a 99 VTR1000f . They put me on hold for a few minutes and come back and say we dont have it , but we can order it ! Then I drive up there and ask for the same part for a 2005 VTR1000f and all the sudden they Have It ! I have come to the conclusion that the minute they here it's a 10 year old bike , that they dont even bother looking ! This happened with a air filter once & then for the crush washers on the bottom of the forks . THEY SUCK ! This is why I only use the dealer if I need the part right then !
There is one guy there that is professional and friendly! but when there are five other jerks behind the counter it is just a waste to see if the guy is there.

I am with you guys nothing would please me more to talk to a decent person behind the counter and give them my money to keep them around but when there is no customer service screw it internet wins that way you dont get an attitude.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
The guys behind the parts counter at my closest Honda dealer are pretty sharp,
but they seldom have what I need in stock and take three days to get it.

The real problem is the stupid owner won't let us order over the phone. Have to make one trip to order and pay, go back in three days to pick it up. Screw that.

Order it on the web I pay less for the part, don't pay sales tax and get it as quick anyhow.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:23 AM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
The guys behind the parts counter at my closest Honda dealer are pretty sharp,
but they seldom have what I need in stock and take three days to get it.

The real problem is the stupid owner won't let us order over the phone. Have to make one trip to order and pay, go back in three days to pick it up. Screw that.

Order it on the web I pay less for the part, don't pay sales tax and get it as quick anyhow.

Here's how easy it is at my dealer. He bought a Nextel because a few of us have them. I two way or text him the part I need. (I usually look up the part number online first) He'll two way or text back the price, when it will be in (if not in stock it's usually a couple of working days). I'll let him know to order. No money up front.

Several times if it's a really low priced part (<$15 or so) he'll just put it on a tab and get the money from you next time because he says he's too lazy to print out an invoice for $15.

He also set up paypal for people who want to order over the phone and he doesn't know them. They can just paypal him the money and he'll place the order. Or you can put it on a credit card.

This place has excellent pricing and does a really good parts/gear business. I ordered a pair of Mesh Tex pants for the wife Thursday and he sent me a message they were in yesterday. One day. He also added he'd been in her pants.

Having four bikes keeps me busy because I do all my own work on them. Having a local dealer like that really helps. I'm lazy too so I just order all my bolts and hardware I need. Easier, and cheaper considering gas and my time, than trying to find the stuff.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:40 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Here's how easy it is at my dealer. He bought a Nextel because a few of us have them. I two way or text him the part I need. (I usually look up the part number online first) He'll two way or text back the price, when it will be in (if not in stock it's usually a couple of working days). I'll let him know to order. No money up front.

Several times if it's a really low priced part (<$15 or so) he'll just put it on a tab and get the money from you next time because he says he's too lazy to print out an invoice for $15.

He also set up paypal for people who want to order over the phone and he doesn't know them. They can just paypal him the money and he'll place the order. Or you can put it on a credit card.

This place has excellent pricing and does a really good parts/gear business. I ordered a pair of Mesh Tex pants for the wife Thursday and he sent me a message they were in yesterday. One day. He also added he'd been in her pants.

Having four bikes keeps me busy because I do all my own work on them. Having a local dealer like that really helps. I'm lazy too so I just order all my bolts and hardware I need. Easier, and cheaper considering gas and my time, than trying to find the stuff.
You've got a smart dealer. I don't. I wouldn't object to paying with a CC up front- as long as I could do it on line or over the phone. Or they could take the info and hold it until the part came in and I showed up with cash.

It's insisting that customers make two round trips to the dealership that's stupid.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:04 AM
Back Marker

bigpat123
my local honda dealer SUCKS...they act like i need a presidential injunction to get off their asses to look for something. And now that they changed the name of the dealer so they can sell those ugly can am pieces of...

And they wont even honor the honda rider club discount at that location or their sister location (which is a Honda named dealer) They now say they do a discount night once a month...

Ill stick with online retailers any day at least i get some respect from them..and better prices.

I wish my local honda car dealer offered motorcycle parts those guys bend over backwards for us..We needed a part for a 1990 civic hb project but was unsure if it was the right part so they handed it to us and said go check it out and if it works let us know next time and we will get you whatever else you need.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Picking up on the dealer commentary ... I did a cross-country trip some time back on my SH and I frequently encountered condescending receptions by dealers in the Midwest (I was living on the West Coast at the time), like they hadn't seen a Superhawk before, and that anything too far astray from 'rolling thunder' was not cool. I was looking to replace a rear tire in Kentucky when I got this attitude (nothing against Kentucky here).

Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Picking up on the dealer commentary ... I did a cross-country trip some time back on my SH and I frequently encountered condescending receptions by dealers in the Midwest (I was living on the West Coast at the time), like they hadn't seen a Superhawk before, and that anything too far astray from 'rolling thunder' was not cool. I was looking to replace a rear tire in Kentucky when I got this attitude (nothing against Kentucky here).

There's good and bad dealers everywhere. I was touring on the 919 in Arizona and had a tail bulb go out. Rode to the dealer which was a mile from where I was staying and asked if they had a bulb. "Don't know, but were trying to do inventory. Think you could come back later? We don't have anybody who could install it right now anyway. He's working on a Gold Wing." I started to suggest he inventory the rear bulbs for a 919 and if he had any subtract the number of teeth he had in his head from that number, but obviously this was above his ability. I didn't even discuss the fact I didn't need someone to install a light bulb.

Went to an auto parts store and got one. Sorry I bothered them.