Carb Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy
Carb Cleaner?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried to use any kinds of carb cleaners (fuel additives, not the spary cans) to have the carbs cleaned? Will the carb cleaners for cars also work on our hawks? Will this do more harm than good?

The carbs on my hawk are running fine right now but I just wanted to have a preventive maintenace done so I won't have to worry about taking the carbs apart to get them cleaned in the future.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
diesel. in 5 galons .25 galon of diesiel for bikes. for cars do about 1 gallon on a full tank of gas. dont let it sit for months. like over winter. you want to get it ran through in a reasonable amount of time.... i do it to mine first fuel up after winter storage. actually i do it to everything of mine. all of my bikes and my fuel injected cars... not all the time, about once a year is plenty. most of the cheep fuel system cleener bottles at like auto p[arts stores are iether diesel based or jet fuel based. the jet fuel based ones are a lot harder on the plastics in the float and stuff... would still hav to sit quite a while to hurt anything though.

(note: my personal experience, YMMV. if YOUR bike explodes into millions of little pieces, dont park it so close to the fireworks factory)
Old 04-18-2007, 07:13 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Careful, diesel lowers dramatically the octane rating of gasoline, not much knowledge on the cleaning effect, but all I know for sure is don't go crazy on the throttle is you ever do this, the detonation from a WOT pass can take chunks of your piston, blow your headgasket, kill bearings and all sort of good stuff like this.
Beside, all the cleaner effect is concentrated in the helmet, not much in the carbs, the psychological effect like the sugar pills can definitely be felt like the oil change, higher octane gas on the VTR (not RC51). There is much detergents in the gas(to avoid lawsuits) that you can't barely clean anything. I have never got a glimpse of varnish or and gas related goo. The carb will more likely need a rebuild before it gets dirty.
A 6 $ invested in booze is, to me, a wiser investment.
My humble opinion tough.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:43 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gboezio
The carb will more likely need a rebuild before it gets dirty.
I recently pulled my carbs while troubleshooting a case of poor running (sticking slide). They haven't been apart since a jet kit two and a half years ago. Clean as a whistle. I can ride year around so it doesn't sit much.

General advice for cleaners I've read is to make sure techron is listed as an ingredient.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have had good luck with Berrymans B12 Chemtool (bottle - not the jet spray) in my trucks and bikes. Walmart usually carries it for around $2.40 a can. Folks on the Chevy truck forums give it a thumbs up.

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=140

2nd item down, the 15oz can
Old 04-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I use Seafoam in everything, car, truck, motorcycle, lawnmower, boat, you name it...directions on the can tell you how much for each item....one can will do the bike, mower, and pour the rest in full tank on the car...Cost $6 at Autozone, or other such stores....My father used it, his father used it....never an issue, all ways kept stuff in fine working condition..

My .02 worth!!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
diesel has a higher flashpoint then gas. especialy when presurised.

the gasoline from the pumps around here varnishes a carb bowl in a few months especialy when sitting in cold weather. unless u get the 10% E10 stuff but it has other negative effects to it.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
+1 on the B-12 Chemtool. I use it in ALL vehicles, and works like a charm!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Squid

thedawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gboezio
A 6 $ invested in booze is, to me, a wiser investment.
My humble opinion tough.
Just don't dump your investment of booze into your tank!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:10 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedawk
Just don't dump your investment of booze into your tank!
Ethanol ain't bad at all, but don't worry, my bike gets as much treats as a dirty 3 legged brown dog. The rider gets it all !!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy
Thumbs up

Guys, thanks a lot for the info! I think I will try using the B-12 carb cleaner the next time I fill up my tank. Thanks again!!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
I use Seafoam in everything, car, truck, motorcycle, lawnmower, boat, you name it...directions on the can tell you how much for each item....one can will do the bike, mower, and pour the rest in full tank on the car...Cost $6 at Autozone, or other such stores....My father used it, his father used it....never an issue, all ways kept stuff in fine working condition..

My .02 worth!!
+1.. Don't recall ever hearing a bad thing about this stuff.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:44 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
+1 for Techron

I use the Chevron Techron full-strength (not the diluted mix) at 1 oz/gallon every 8~10 tank fulls.

Just pulled apart my carbs to rejet (Hawkrider: Somehow I thought I had 185f/188r in there but found 178f/180r so I left them in) and they were clean as a whistle too. What a PITA for nothing, eh?

Originally Posted by superbling
I recently pulled my carbs while troubleshooting a case of poor running (sticking slide). They haven't been apart since a jet kit two and a half years ago. Clean as a whistle. I can ride year around so it doesn't sit much.

General advice for cleaners I've read is to make sure techron is listed as an ingredient.