Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

I have an issue I really could use some help with

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Squid

SuperhawkWolf
I have an issue I really could use some help with

I bought my 98 Super hawk used 3 (2004) years ago, and it has had a charging system since the day I bought it. The first year I had it, I blew a R/R on it, totally cracked and spewed the liquid in it all over the place. and the top far right yellow wire burned off at the same time.

So I bought another rectifier fixed, the wire, replaced the battery at that time. Rode the remainder of the 2004 season, no problems.

2005, blew yet another rectifier, and broke the wire again, so this time, I ordered a new Stator from Electro sport, and got another rectifier from E Bay. I replaced the stator, replaced the rectifier, replaced the battery, fixed the wire, and rode all of the 2005-2006 season with no problems.

2007, pulled it out of winter storage last week, battery stone dead removed from bike, charged overnight, put it back in the bike, started and ran for one day, before a float got stuck filled the engine with gas (another issue). Go to ride it 2 days ago, and it is dead again, go back out later that same day, fires right up, let it warm up, right it up and down the length of my 2.5 mile street probably 4 times, parked it, went in the house in anticipation of riding the next day. Go out the next morning, DEAD again.

Here is what I have done thus far this year. Printed the electrical system troubleshooting guide from Electro sport. Pulled the battery, recharged, verified, 12.5 volts in the battery, put it back in the bike, attach the multimeter to it, hit the start button, turns over once and the battery is dead, 10.2 volts in the battery.

So I hooked the jumper cables up to the truck, jump starts very easily. Hook up the multimeter again, 12.5 volts on the meter, bring the RPMs up to 2500, goes to about 12.8 volts. Weird.

So I then of course move to the next step in the troubleshooting guide, which asks to verify the # of wires coming out of the R/R, so I pull the tail section off the bike, and low and behold the wires is burnt off again!! I don't get this problem. It is the same wire every time, and the rest of them are fine.

Please Help.

If pics are needed, I can provide them.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/...g_replace.html

that should take care of part of the problem..

as for the dead battery, batterys dont like sitting dead for long. like over winter in the cold especially. best thing is a battery tender for long sits. mines the same as yurs, if i dont get the bike fired in a couple cranks battery is dead. just makes me really get at getting the choke exactly right on cold fires, otherwies im stranded. i need a new battery and im bettin you do to. swapping the R/R should cure the wire problem.

and when testing voltage the voltage will increase a bit with engine RPM, thats just how that works. yur voltages look fine other then the second reading off the battery after you tried to start the bike.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:24 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Excellent Link...I hope I never have this issue...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:31 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Here's what I did about 2 & 1/2 years ago. Still running like a champ:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...gsxr+regulator
Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Have you hydro locked the engine ???? What happened when you filled the cylinder with gas ??? did you heard a ping-like sound if the engine locked ??
Old 03-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Squid

SuperhawkWolf
I did hydrolock the motor when it filled with gas, but it did not hurt anything.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
When mine went out, I purchased an aftermarket R/R that has heatsinks on it, it plugged in with no modifications and I hope have no problems.. Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:52 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SuperhawkWolf
I did hydrolock the motor when it filled with gas, but it did not hurt anything.
Well you MAY have bent a rod, this is how my ZX-9 died in flames one month later, even after many 280 km/h passes, a stupid 180 ride for 30 mins and kaboom, windowed block and flames from the oil splashing on the red-hot exhausts, rear oily wheel sled for quite a bit until I pulled the clutch, flames turned to a huge trail of smoke.
If the cylinder was half full, no big deal, but if around the combustion chamber volume, the starter have it's force multiplied by a lot (lots of crank degrees, compared to low piston rise).
If it vibrates in a funny way at certain RPM's shut it off before too late, it's scary trust me.
Good luck on this, I just hope it's ok
Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Electrical Stuff..

Every bike I get..old or new.. I take the time to pull all connectors apart..WD 40..cleaning and then dielectric grease in all connectors...Honda has had many issues with moisture buiding up corrosion then resistance and then trouble...good winter project...As for Hydro lock... The Honda Valkyrie is the all time hydro-lock champ...Has the Wing starter..strong enough to run reversing system..plus six carbs...I had a Valk..never had it happen, but used to live in dread...not uncommon... So guys..prevention..get the connectors clean and lubed..save some grief and cash..

Take Care
Dave