Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

i have the carb farts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:05 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
All I can say is mine never does anything like what you guys are talking about..... so IMHO you are dealing with a set up issue not an inherent problem with this bike.....

My bike does occasionally have the odd carb fart, usually if I go off throttle to abrubtly... But not often enough that I can relate to what others here talk about...

If a bike behaves like this, it's setup the wrong way, as simple as that... And 9 times out of 10, the VTR's i have come across is set too rich... Syncronisation or lack there of does make the bike act up a lot, so I'd start there... And BTW, the spec that the manual states as "OK", is where i start when mine are out of sync... You can get the difference down to nearly zero without too much effort, and it's well worth it...
Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by msethhunter
I would say more like an inherent setup issue with the superhawk. It seems to be a very common problem with the bike. Mine had it bad when I first got it. After some fiddiling, all is well. It seems like the carb synch was what helped out the most.
They're finickey carbs, as are all high performance carbs. That isn't an inherent defect in the carbs themselves, that's in the person who messed something up to begin with hahahaha.

I've been rebuilding carbs (and tuning them) for years and the superhawk that I own and work on almost daily still has some issues in the carbs. It takes a little bit of time and some work to get them to where as they're perfect, like everything else.

With the variety of mods done to these bikes, there's no cut and paste solution to every carb, only general help tips and places to look to see how to solve your particular problem.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Young Hawk!
Squid

DrewMan996 is on a distinguished road
i have similar problems, but only when i rev it from idle, quickly. How do you sync your carbs?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Old 01-27-2012, 03:14 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Oh mercy... Tweety! You've been called!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:29 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DrewMan996
i have similar problems, but only when i rev it from idle, quickly. How do you sync your carbs?
You should start by purchasing/downloading the service manual.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Ok, Does anyone here actually have a Superhawk that does not FART once in awhile? I've owned three and they all seem to do it to. You can tune them to run really smooth, but your still going to get a hicup or fart every now and then.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
i use a car carb sync gauges it works pretty well but not science.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Superstock

my issue is not the farts so much any more but it is the damn rattle in the carbs during acceleration that is driving me nuts now.....
Old 01-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 3amta3
my issue is not the farts so much any more but it is the damn rattle in the carbs during acceleration that is driving me nuts now.....
Sounds like the slides are worn. A common problem if the foam filters get left out of the air box. They are not cheap but if it really bugs you, replace the slides.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
Ok, Does anyone here actually have a Superhawk that does not FART once in awhile? I've owned three and they all seem to do it to. You can tune them to run really smooth, but your still going to get a hicup or fart every now and then.
Mine does it once and a great while but yeah they all can do it from time to time.

When it's common, then there is a problem
Old 01-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
I have none of these issues on a 39k mile used bike. I have not checked the synch but it is on the short list. The bike has hiccuped slightly a couple of times at idle over the last few thousand miles, but nothing I would complain about unless it did get chronic.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Also don't mistake a "fart" for a lean "cough" or you could get in trouble
Old 01-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Superstock

it is a lost cause with this damn bike. i give up, i am tired of chasing a ghost
Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Never had it happen again once i swapped the pilots for a larger size and set the carbs per this thread.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:17 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I had the same performance issue in the 2-3k rpm range because this is the range where the pilot (meaning first) jets hand off to the mains. If the mains don't come on strong enough at that handoff the engine starts to run out of fuel and it clatters. I ride my Superhawk primarily around town so I use that 2-3k rpm band alot.

After just a few short rides, I took it back to my tech. He rode it up the parking lot and back down. Put it in the shop. "I'll call ya when it's ready."

I get back to the office, check in w/everybody and barely get my *** in the chair, Tim is on the phone. "It's ready." I go up to the shop and he says go ride so I get out on the service road, roll it on, good through first, smooth into second, on ramp to the freeway coming up and I think - why not? The roll on from 45mph in third to 110 was just like sitting on a rocket. Full on. I get back and find out he used the 45's and went to the 48's - IIRC. Huge difference in performance - no more dead spot.

At that moment I understood the tuning dynamic of the Superhawk. It runs and breathes like a tractor. The more you unleash it the more fuel and air it needs. And yes, I think my current build would rev until it blew. I don't think this monster runs out of torque until that very moment.

This is worth getting right.

Lots of things make a Superhawk, cough, puke up through the carbs or clack. The carbs have to be synced everytime you take them off. Don't use premium grade fuels. They hate being cold and the more they're hopped up the worse it is. They don't like being overly hot either. The heat causes them to run lean at idle.

If you're new to the Superhawk these noises are a reason for concern to you. As you get more time on the bike it's no big. Little wrist action to clear the carbs and pissoff the bitches on their phones - you're good to go.

Last edited by nuhawk; 01-27-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:10 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jay956
you shouldnt be riding at 2-3k rpm
why not?

my bike runs great in this range, doesn't feel like its lugging, and I usually shift between 3k and 3500 if I'm just putting around on the street...I'll rev a bit higher if I'm riding 2 up so the engine doesn't have to work hard at lower rpm.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Squid

FireHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Ok, I know this is an really old thread but I just got my bike run again after not running for a year. Carbs were beyond gunked up. I bought a can of Berryman's stripped them down to nothing (done this several times), replace the pet **** cover assembly (made a huge difference) and not my bike is carb farting until it warms ups. I have NEVER turned the air/fuel mixture screws (they are still at factory settings) and I am using factory jets. I synced the carbs with a vacuum gauge albeit, I am not sure if that was the best method. Has anyone synced carbs with a single vacuum gauge? Also, how did you adjust the sync screw with the airbox still on? I shut the bike down, used a small wrench and turned the screw, then started it back up and checked vacuum on each port until I got close to the same vacuum while holding idle at 3k.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:14 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FireHawk996
I have NEVER turned the air/fuel mixture screws .
Im hoping you mean adjusted, not that you tried to clean the carbs with the mixture screws in place.

Did you strip the carbs down completely? Or dunk them together?

There is an access hole in the plastic deflector on the right side that you can reach the sync screw. I use a 1/4" drive driver handle an extension and a flex joint socket.
Doing it once with the tank off so you can better see what your doing will make it easier to figure out the needed tools from what you have or need and the technique.

I cant imagine getting a correct Carb Sync the way you described doing it.....It really needs to be running and the Sync done with your choice of dual gauges. There are Home made Manometers all the way to electronic digital stuff. I am using these right now https://www.carbtune.com
Old 10-04-2018, 06:05 PM
Squid

Yes, I have never removed the idle/air screws. I have always been told not to. I will try to fabricate a sync tool. I really do not want to buy anything for this bike as I am selling it. I have owned if for 15 years, it has never been wrecked or dropped, or raced (with the seldom gentle wheelie), and as of lately I have dumped more money into than I care to think about.

it does backfire on cold starts for some reason. Could this be related to carb sync?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Squid

What does a "lean cough" sound like? I am thinking my bike might be running slightly lean due to the backfire on cold start ups.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:59 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
It sounds very lean to me. Did you try running it with the choke slightly pulled to see if it improves?

I had a terrible issue recently and used the jack flash thumb screws to richen the mixture and it now runs like new.

For what they cost its worth it. Otherwise you are removing the carbs every adjustment. A week of that and you may be in good shape but I am not that patient. Plus I need to ride the bike daily.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:20 AM
Squid

Ok, I think I found the problem. I have an intake leak. I replaced the carb boots this last time around. I sprayed carb cleaner around the boots. it revved up, then died. I had a feeling they were not set when I installed them. could this be the culprit? Anyone had this problem before?
Old 10-06-2018, 09:35 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FireHawk996
Ok, I think I found the problem. I have an intake leak. I replaced the carb boots this last time around. I sprayed carb cleaner around the boots. it revved up, then died. I had a feeling they were not set when I installed them. could this be the culprit? Anyone had this problem before?
Likely cause - last time I had leaky carb rubbers was on a GPz600R and it led to dodgy running which was easily fixed with new uns clamped up securely.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:33 PM
MotoGP

Had the same problem on my race bike this past weekend. You really need them very tight to get the bike to run right.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:18 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Had the same problem on my race bike this past weekend. You really need them very tight to get the bike to run right.
Only when they get Old and hard...normally two things that do not go together,. but are common on motorcycle rubber intake manifolds. Replace them once and awhile with new ones, and the need to tighten the band clamp to within an inch of its limitations goes away.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:24 AM
MotoGP

Not sure if the boots on any of my bikes are still available but will look. I am all for replacing old parts.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Squid

Ok, I am struggling here. I THOUGHT I had the front boot tighted down pretty good. I check back this more, and the damn thing has come unseated. Now and I have a really high idle (major intake leak). I used a little bit of motor oil on the rubber to make it easier to seat otherwise, its so tight it wont go on. Any idea to fix this? I am just before junking this bike that I have spent 1000 dollars on in the past year and have not put one mile on it.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:07 AM
Squid

Ok, I pulled the carbs BACK off for the 7 time. took carb cleaner to the METAL and cleaned the engine and carb body. Washed the carb boot in dish detergent and water. Will put back together. Just for future reference, do NOT use motor oil on the carb boots. its cause you not to be able to get tight and the essentially slip off the engine.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:25 AM
MotoGP

You may have trouble getting sympathy around here if you threaten to junk a Superhawk. Just my opinion.

Keep trying youll get it. I've use Vaseline to seat them & never had an issue. Silicone spray also.

Quick Reply: i have the carb farts