How Odo calculates - Sprocket Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:23 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
How Odo calculates - Sprocket Change Question

Ok...

how does our bike calculate miles on the odo???

I changed to a 15/43 not to long back, and like it, but it seems like i'm reading more miles per tank of gas than every... that can not be possible, since in theory, i am running at higher rpm's than normal all the time...

So... Does the bike calculate from the front sprocket? or does overall gearing change it....

I was toying with putting the 16T front back in anyway, just to help for the highway speeds, and keeping the 43T rear... Will this correct my odo, or is this all in my head anyway....

In the lifted truck world, where you are going to bigger tires, you leave it alone because you start to decrease how fast your mileages calculates.. but I would hate to think i'm racking up mileage faster than normal... thats no good...

thanks for the input...
Old 06-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/order.htm
Old 06-10-2008, 06:19 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Yea, I have seen that... But I couldn't care less how far off my speedo is, i'm talking about the odo...

What actually calculates my mileage on the odo, and what effect does the sprocket change have on that? in addition, will going back to stock front, but staying 43 rear return the odo to stock counting? or is it even off now?

thats what i am after...

thanks though
Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
It is electronic and is calibrated with stock gearing. Shorter gearing has the effect you are experiencing; it racks up the miles quicker and makes you think you're getting better mileage.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yes it is run off the front sprocket. You removed the sender unit when you were changing the gearing. Only one sender for both speed and odo. A speedohealer or comparable can increase or decrease the signal. So you can set it for one or the other but not both independently.

Typically, the VTR odo is fairly close while the speedo is 10% off. So, your odo may be an exception.

Since you say you could care less about the speedo, unplug the sending unit and get a sigma BC1200 for $25 which can be very accurate if set up correctly. Not real ethical tho'.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:13 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

So by returning front to 16T, but leaving 43T in the rear, I am helping the cause, but not curing it?

SuperBling...

This BC1200 does what? I don't care about my speedo being accurate, but would still like it working as I can judge by where it reads vs other vehicle speeds to get an idea how far away i am, which is fine with me...

I am not 100% against the Speedohealer, however hate to spend money on something like that if there is another alternative...

All i really care about is not racking up the miles faster.... Not a HUGE issue, but it does help with resale...
Old 06-10-2008, 07:19 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by joshuatest
So by returning front to 16T, but leaving 43T in the rear, I am helping the cause, but not curing it?
Correct.

SuperBling...

This BC1200 does what? I don't care about my speedo being accurate, but would still like it working as I can judge by where it reads vs other vehicle speeds to get an idea how far away i am, which is fine with me...

I am not 100% against the Speedohealer, however hate to spend money on something like that if there is another alternative...

All i really care about is not racking up the miles faster.... Not a HUGE issue, but it does help with resale...
I'm not Superbling, but I think he's saying that you can disconnect the stock VTR speedo/odo sending unit and hook up a Sigma bicycle odometer which is calibrated from wheel rotation.

Last edited by killer5280; 06-10-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

ok... so forgive the ignorance...

but will using this Sigma unit going to allow me to use the odo on the stock cluster, or is this its own unit?

I've got a 03, which has the odo on the digital portion (not sure about all years)... and would really like that one to be as close to accurate as it can...

If i can fix that with the Sigma, i'm in... but if now, i may resort to the speedohealer as a fix... hmmm..
Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
SuperBike

You CAN unhook the VTR system all together and install a bicycle computer which will tell you speed and distance, etc. These can be had for 20 bucks and up. It's just not too ethical to unhook the VTR's system.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
If you check to see how far off your speed is, that is how far off your odometer is as well. If you are 10% Slow, you are putting on 10% more miles. I've never liked the mileage deal. I'd rather know how many times a motor rotated and in how many hours it did this rotating. That could tell you a lot about how the bike was ridden.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:25 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

But if i do this, does it still who up on my digital portion of my cluster???
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
The bicycle speedo they refer to here is a completely separate and independent system from the original unit that is on your motorcycle now. Disconnecting your speedo/odo sensor (it's the same thing, they work from a single signal) and then installing a bicycle unit will leave your stock dash unit reading ZERO all the time.

Any change in your gearing will affect the speed signal proportionately. This includes any combination of front sprocket , rear sprocket , and tire/wheel diameter.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Well ****... Scratch that from the list... I want my stock set up to work for that purpose...

Well... I guess I will swap back to the 16T front, then figure out today exactly how far off the odo really is, and ifs its enough to really notice, I may just have to order a SpeedoHealer...

I was really hoping that keeping the front sprocket stock would be my magical cure.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Well ****... Scratch that from the list... I want my stock set up to work for that purpose...

Well... I guess I will swap back to the 16T front, then figure out today exactly how far off the odo really is, and ifs its enough to really notice, I may just have to order a SpeedoHealer...

I was really hoping that keeping the front sprocket stock would be my magical cure.
Magic is what the speedo healer does
Old 06-11-2008, 05:23 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Magic is what the speedo healer does

I know... Its a shame nobody suggested the speedohealer in the first place...
Old 06-11-2008, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
There are cheaper alternatives; yellowbox and daktronics are a couple I've used.

The sigma is great for its other uses such as a second tripometer, clock for those VTR's with analog dashes, high speed recall, etc. GREAT bang for very few bucks. Reads a magnet you attach to the front wheel so it's not affected by gearing changes.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

now these yellowbox and daktronics units will allow me to continue use of my stock cluster, but cure the odo too?

i will have to research them... i honestly only care about the odo, so the cheapest fix is best i guess...
Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
When you order a Speedohealer the dealer will ask what type of motorcycle you plan to use it on. They will then include a plug-and-play wiring harness adapter with the unit, allowing you to easily install without destroying your stock harness. At the time I made the purchase, the other alternative correction devices did not have such a thing. That sealed the deal for me. I have no regrets 3 years later, and would do it again to another bike if needed.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Look on the bright side...Your bike gets more oil changes!
I worried about mileage for a while cause I did the "QA" conversion. But with 30K on the clock, it really doesn't matter. And when I think I'm speeding and I'm not, well that's a good thing too.

Officer- "Sir do you know why I pulled you over?"
Me- "I must have been going a little fast sir"
Officer- "Actually you were going 15 under and creating a hazard. Have you been drinking?"

The bike computer is pretty accurate. Reaper has one.