Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Sprocket change...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Squid

GoBlu
Sprocket change...

Stupid question, I know.... I have never changed the sprockets on a bike with a hydraulic clutch system. Do I have to drain the system before I remove the clutch? I haven't really looked yet, but I figured it would be just as easy asking some who already knows.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Remove...the...clutch? To change your sprockets? Ummm, that's not required.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:57 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Sprocket change...

Why are you removing the clutch? No need when replacing the front sprocket.

Your guestion indicates you probably need to read the service manual. Search for a link to a downloadeable link here on the forum.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Squid

GoBlu
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot
Remove...the...clutch? To change your sprockets? Ummm, that's not required.
Ummm, the clutch slave cylinder is attached to the guard/cover for the drive sprocket. To remove the cover, you must remove at least 2 of the bolts that secure the slave cylinder to the cover.

And, I didn't realize that I had to be so specific with my part names..clutch----clutch slave cylinder...I assumed that it was obvious that I meant the slave cylinder.

And as far as me needing a service manual, chain and sprocket removal are not in the service manual..

Plus, I am not some mechanical rookie. I have rebuilt everything from a 68 Camaro to a GSXR750 to an AV8B Harrier.

But thanks for the help though..
Old 03-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Ahhhh, yeah, that thingy. I thought you might be referring to that, but just wanted to make sure.

I believe the SM instructs you to not touch the clutch while the slave cylinder is out. I found the info from my SM...
Old 03-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Squid

petev
I belive the manual will be of some help! It would, for instance,tell you to tie off the clutch lever to the grip.If you dont it will force the piston out of the cylinder.But you knew that,right?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Squid

GoBlu
Originally Posted by petev";p=&quot
I belive the manual will be of some help! It would, for instance,tell you to tie off the clutch lever to the grip.If you dont it will force the piston out of the cylinder.But you knew that,right?
Actually, I did not know that...but I am thru with my rant...

I have the Honda SM, but I did not see anything about removing the front sprocket. I did see the procedures for removing the slave cylinder. So I guess that brings me back to my original question. Do I have to drain the fluid and remove the slave cylinder since it appears that 2 of the bolts also secure the sprocket cover to the engine?

Oh yeah, I am replacing the chain and sprockets because they are finally worn out. They are OEM and I have 16000 miles on them.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:50 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
[quote="GoBlu";p="18672"]
And, I didn't realize that I had to be so specific with my part names..clutch----clutch slave cylinder...I assumed that it was obvious that I meant the slave cylinder./quote]

OK, who let my wife sign up? :P

IMO, this is where a FSM isn't all the great of a resource. It assumes a certain level of knowledge on proceedures that the other brands of repair manuals DON'T take for granted. Plus they will tell you how to make or work around special tools. That's why I like to have both.

No, you don't have to drain the clutch fluid. After removing the slave and sprocket cover, put the front wheel against a wall, place a large piece of pvc pipe between the swingarm and a rear wheel spoke, put tranny in first gear and use a breaker bar and cheater pipe on the front bolt. It should be a real bear if it's the first time.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Back Marker

Utah996
Oh and I'm glad this post cam up because its time for me to change my chain and sprokets as well. Anyone know where I can get the rivet tool for a rivet style chain? stock length.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
SuperSport

Loco
This may be obvious, but don't remove the chain until you have loosened the front sprocket bolt. I've done that before, and it's possible still, but a major pain in the ***.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by petev
Should I pull in the clutch lever & zip tie it to the bar before taking the slave cylinder off.

Or do I just need to immobilize the lever so the clutch lever can't be pulled in while I have the clutch slave cylinder off.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:00 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Do not tie the lever to the bar. That will pressurize the slave cylinder. Simply remove the slave cylinder, then DO NOT touch the clutch lever. I've done many slave cylinders on cars, both on a lift and laying on my back. With the lever released, or clutch pedal released on a car, there is no pressure in the slave. The piston will not pop out and you will not have to bleed it.

Getting ready to do my chain and sprockets, and after reading other threads and posts, ignore the advice above (although it's true with cars). Evidently some have had the slave cylinder piston "creep" out of its bore after removal if the lever is not tied to the bar.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 08-06-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: did further research on the subject
Old 09-27-2008, 06:31 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks. It seems like common sense now, but just wanted to make sure.