Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

how to change the clutch fluid???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Squid

merlyn is on a distinguished road
how to change the clutch fluid???

Hello everyone!I am a 98 vtr 1000 firestorm owner from about a year!I dont know what is the age of the clutch fluid and I want to change it! I want to learn how to do this step by step !I dont want to go in service because in my area the mechanics are not good!
Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
http://www.superhawk996.net/Honda_VT...ice_Manual.pdf

That's a link to the manual online. It should be in there, it's a simple process though. Just like bleeding the brakes. Even uses the same fluid.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Squid

thank s for the manial... I read the section clutch fluid 3-23 but the information is poor to me...
Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Try section 9-4 (page 175)
Old 05-22-2009, 05:56 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
You will need:

DOT 4 Fluid.
Teflon tape.
Some rags and disposable latex gloves.
shitty towels to cover the plastics and painted surfaces.
I would recommend you buy a 'Mighty Vac'....about 30 bucks at Pep Boys.

COVER ALL PAINTED SURFACES AND PLASTICS!! with old beat up towels. This **** is worse than paint remover!

Turn your handles so that the reservoirs are as level as you can get them. Pop the tops and clean the rubber diaphragms. Leave the tops and diaphragms off, and DON"T TOUCH the clutch lever.

Remove your bleeder screws from the caliper and have a helper plug the hole with their finger. Clean them off and wrap the threads with the teflon tape. Screw them back in. (you have to do this to make sure no air makes its way through the threads into the system.)

Get your Mighty Vac and attach the hose to the bleeder. Pump on it to get some good suction, then crack open the bleeder screw until the nasty old fluid starts to fill the container. (Make SURE the line always has vacuum when the bleeder screw is open. Also, your help needs to pour fresh fluid in the res. just as you suck it out the bottom.) keep at it until the fluid that drains turns clear! then, tighten everything back down...you're done!

The brakes and clutch system are done the same way, with the same fluid.

I just did this recently, so Its all fresh on my mind. I will help you as much as I can.

Last edited by j shizzy wizzy; 05-22-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:15 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The salesman that my wife and I have bought 3 bikes from, including my VTR, is from Romania. His name is Adi.

Bleeding the clutch is best done with 2 people.

Since brake fluid damages paint, put something under the master cylinder to catch any spills. A piece of cardboard with a towel or rag on it.

1. remove as much old fluid as possible from the master cylinder using a syringe.
2. fill the master cyl with new fluid.
3. have your helper pull on the clutch lever slowly until it touches the handgrip and hold it there.
4. open the bleeder screw at the top of the clutch slave cylinder for not more than 2 seconds, then close it. (attaching a small hose to the bleeder screw and putting the end in a container will prevent spraying fluid on your bike)
VERY IMPORTANT: If the lever is released with the bleeder open, you will get AIR in the system. Your helper should not release the lever until you have closed the bleeder....do not over tighten the bleeder screw.

Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the fluid is clear. This should not take more than 5 or 6 times.

Keep the master cylinder filled with brake fluid while bleeding. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:25 PM
MotoGP

merlyn, the method given by shizzy is called "Vacuum Bleeding". The one I mentioned is called "Manual Bleeding". Either method will work.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:49 AM
Squid

When I attaching a small hose to the bleeder screw how should be the clutch lever_?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:01 AM
MotoGP

The hose is only used to prevent brake fluid from spraying all over your paint and other parts that could be damaged.

Use a piece of vacuum hose long enough to put the other end into a container to catch the old fluid.

Again the main thing is do not release the clutch lever with the bleeder open or air will get into the system. And keep the master cylinder reservoir full.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
The best 50 bucks I ever spent was on a vacuum bleeder pump, every now and then you will get a bike that for some odd reason will absolutely not bleed out when trying to use its own master cylinder. The cheap hand operated pump never fails to bleed the system, regardless of other brake or clutch system problems.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Squid

thanks a lot!respect