Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Honda pilot screw adjustment wrench

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Back Marker

senecagreen
Honda pilot screw adjustment wrench

Has anyone bought one of these? If so, what is the part number and what did you have to pay? Has anyone made one? If so, what was the process?

I have a machine shop avaliable to me at work and I have the dynojet adjusment tool that I could adapt to whatever I made. I guess Honda wanted to make sure no one would be able to mess with these screws.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:24 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Last I checked, I think it was 180 bucks.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:10 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Honda pilot screw adjustment wrench

I bought the Motion Pro one too but found the stupid "D" socket shape of the Honda adjustment screw sux!
THe next tiem I had the carbs off I cut a slot in the mixture adjustment screw with a dremel tool cut off wheel to make it a screw driver type adjustment. I left it so the "D" fitting could still be used.
Bench set it to 2 1/2 turns out & reinstalled.
The Motrion pro tool with the screw driver bit worked much better than the "D" bit.
BUT I found the adjustment so close to 2 1/2 turns it was hardly worth the effort & expense!

hope this helps you
Old 02-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Back Marker

senecagreen
I was able to cut down and machine the dynojet tool to fit inside a 1/4" drive, 1/4" socket. I made it as short as possible and glued it in the socket before giving it to my buddy who owns the local shop. It will now fit the quarter inch drive right angle tool he has just like the other quarter inch drive bits he has (he didn't have the honda bit)

The good thing is I get my carbs adjusted free using his exhaust gas analyzer ( my mixture was below 1% when it should be around 2%) for 20 minutes of work on my part in the machine shop and he gets a tool he can use to make money on stock honda's that really don't need a jet kit just the idle mixture adjusted.

I couldn't justify buying the special tool for the one time I would probably use it so it was a winning situation for both of us. The guy is really a good mechanic so I try to give him what jobs I can to help him stay in business. That's not too hard because I have 3 dirt bikes besides the Superhawk.

He said my bike is so lean at idle that that is probably the reason why it dies often idling at stoplights. I will let everyone know it the dying problem is eliminated by adjusting the mixture as I am sure everyones bike came super lean at idle from the factory just like mine.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:06 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Honda pilot screw adjustment wrench

Good job !
Wish I oculd have gotten you to make me one before I spent $100 on the Motion Pro tool