SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Honda pilot screw adjustment wrench (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/honda-pilot-screw-adjustment-wrench-8095/)

senecagreen 02-05-2006 07:59 AM

Honda pilot screw adjustment wrench

Has anyone bought one of these? If so, what is the part number and what did you have to pay? Has anyone made one? If so, what was the process?

I have a machine shop avaliable to me at work and I have the dynojet adjusment tool that I could adapt to whatever I made. I guess Honda wanted to make sure no one would be able to mess with these screws.

jschmidt 02-05-2006 11:24 AM

Last I checked, I think it was 180 bucks.

cozart02 02-05-2006 07:36 PM

Re: Honda pilot screw adjustment wrench

I tried making the "homebrew" one that another member of this forum provided instructions for making. I found it worked ok, but it was pretty hard to be at all precise as there was quite a bit of play in the cable and not a lot of feel as to what was taking place at the mixture screw head. (This is not a knock at the guy's idea - it was miles ahead of anything I could have every thought of, and it worked well enough I didn't throw it away).

I ended up buying the 90 degree carb tool from motion pro which came with several bits including the honda one. It is light blue anodized in color and can be found on motion pro's web site. You should be able to get someone to sell it to you for around $100, maybe less. The only trouble I had is the screw securing the front intake boot doesn't leave enough room for the tool, so I loosened the screw and rotated the clamp out of the way while I worked on it.

CNI Dawg 02-11-2006 08:10 AM

I bought the Motion Pro one too but found the stupid "D" socket shape of the Honda adjustment screw sux!
THe next tiem I had the carbs off I cut a slot in the mixture adjustment screw with a dremel tool cut off wheel to make it a screw driver type adjustment. I left it so the "D" fitting could still be used.
Bench set it to 2 1/2 turns out & reinstalled.
The Motrion pro tool with the screw driver bit worked much better than the "D" bit.
BUT I found the adjustment so close to 2 1/2 turns it was hardly worth the effort & expense!

hope this helps you :D

senecagreen 02-16-2006 02:20 PM

I was able to cut down and machine the dynojet tool to fit inside a 1/4" drive, 1/4" socket. I made it as short as possible and glued it in the socket before giving it to my buddy who owns the local shop. It will now fit the quarter inch drive right angle tool he has just like the other quarter inch drive bits he has (he didn't have the honda bit)

The good thing is I get my carbs adjusted free using his exhaust gas analyzer ( my mixture was below 1% when it should be around 2%) for 20 minutes of work on my part in the machine shop and he gets a tool he can use to make money on stock honda's that really don't need a jet kit just the idle mixture adjusted.

I couldn't justify buying the special tool for the one time I would probably use it so it was a winning situation for both of us. The guy is really a good mechanic so I try to give him what jobs I can to help him stay in business. That's not too hard because I have 3 dirt bikes besides the Superhawk.

He said my bike is so lean at idle that that is probably the reason why it dies often idling at stoplights. I will let everyone know it the dying problem is eliminated by adjusting the mixture as I am sure everyones bike came super lean at idle from the factory just like mine.

CNI Dawg 02-16-2006 04:06 PM

Good job !
Wish I oculd have gotten you to make me one before I spent $100 on the Motion Pro tool :cry: