Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Fuel screw setting (pilot jet change)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Fuel screw setting (pilot jet change)

Alright, thanks for my Trans-Atlantic friend Markus (a.k.a. Tweety), I be giving #48 pilots a try. While my bike runs flawlessly as it is, I have been known, on occasion, to experiment with new settings, all in the name of perfecting my beloved VTR. MY question, then, is the following:

- how much would one have to reduce the fuel screw setting to get an equivalent fuel flow with a larger #48 pilot (compared to stock 45). IN other words, if I am currently set at 2 5/8 turns out, what fuel screw setting would give me similar fueling with the 48 pilots in place?

thanks all
Old 04-05-2010, 05:09 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I love riddles? is this a riddle? beware the dwarf is my answer.

honestly I wouldn't change it. I didn't notice a lot of correlation between changing my pilots and a/f screw settings. I think the a/f is almost completely the idle circuit and the pilots are much more of the low end/needle impact. So I would say to slot your A/F screws, don't change them and get a motion pro right angle jobbie tool and then once you have it back on see if you can optimize anything at that point. I think you're more likely to find changes to just small on/off throttle transitions at the lower third of the throttle range. At least that has been my experience. And of course, never change more than one thing at a time - or you are sure to screw yourself up. I make that mistake over and over and over again. slotting the A/F screws and having that tool at least takes the worry out of it because you can adjust while idling which is ideal
Old 04-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
While Bill is correct, I have mine set at 2 turns out on the front and 2 1\8 turn out on the rear. They could be opened another 1\8 turn each but I don't have the tool and don't feel like pulling the carbs right now.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:23 PM
MotoGP

Hi gents,

my experiemntal streak was awakened by this posting by Tweety:
"tune it with a slightly rich idle, a wee bit lower on power at the top end and you get a punch in the middle of the powerband that makes you ask yourself what you where doing before... The bottom then becomes clean and grunty, the middle has a much wider area where you get loads of torque and the top end rolls of further down than an IL4 but with a less sharp roll of...

The middle of the powerband that felt "fine" before is now several steps beyond "fine"..."

May try it (going to 48s). Worse case I go back to how it is now (as it's working fine; but one never knows what is left on the table unless you experiment a little)
Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM
SuperBike

I certainly won't argue with tweety about tuning but not sure how much you can shift the powerband with merely carb changes aside from trying to get the ideal. In general the only thing that appears to matter much at WFO and high end is the main jets so not sure what relationship there is to the other things. I would just tune for the strongest midrange and the smoothest low end and transitions you can get. Agree you never know till you make a change on either side of perfect - thus make one change at a time.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I have tried 48's but ultimately had to go back to 45's to get it to run right down low. This coincided with the change of my intake set-up. I was running 50's, but after change back to a K&N filter it was too rich and no amount of screw adjustment would get it right on the 50's or 48's.

Lots of factors involved in this of course, such as different exhausts etc, so 48's might be the go for you.

As for the mixture screw position, I dunno if there is a straight answer to be found. I would start at about 1.75 turns out and experiment from there.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I also went back to #45 pilots after experimenting with the larger #48. The difference in mixture screw settings between the 2, as best as I can remember, was probably 1~1.25 turns. I used the procedure for highest/smoothest idle while running. In both cases, after getting it just right, the engine will idle steadily at 1,000 rpm without ever dying. Pull in the clutch while downshifting, or at an intersection and it just idles perfect. There is a definite warm-up period involved though.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
rule of thumb i've always read was 3 turns.

tim
Old 04-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by trinc
rule of thumb i've always read was 3 turns.

tim
The rule I've used is if you are 3 turns or more out, go to the next larger sized pilot jet. 1 turn or less out, go down 1 size.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Hi gents,

my experiemntal streak was awakened by this posting by Tweety:
"tune it with a slightly rich idle, a wee bit lower on power at the top end and you get a punch in the middle of the powerband that makes you ask yourself what you where doing before... The bottom then becomes clean and grunty, the middle has a much wider area where you get loads of torque and the top end rolls of further down than an IL4 but with a less sharp roll of...

The middle of the powerband that felt "fine" before is now several steps beyond "fine"..."

May try it (going to 48s). Worse case I go back to how it is now (as it's working fine; but one never knows what is left on the table unless you experiment a little)
mikstr that was in direct reply to uchi's tuning, so a bit out of context... Which from what he described was more done like a typical IL4 with a smooth long and "thin" powerband with a high peak... I highly doubt that your bike is tuned like an IL4, so the difference for you should really be minimal... You might gain from the #48's... You might also loose some... My bike liked them, the other more stock bikes I tried preferred the #45... If you try it, make note of your current setting...
Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
The rule I've used is if you are 3 turns or more out, go to the next larger sized pilot jet. 1 turn or less out, go down 1 size.
Actually, that's about what I do as well...
Old 04-06-2010, 02:02 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
...They could be opened another 1\8 turn each but I don't have the tool...
I need to get to this at some point. My bike runs ok as it is, so no real rush. What "tool" are you referring to - a screwdriver won't do it? If I need a special tool I want to order it before I tackle this job. Thank you. JB
Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 AM
SuperBike

its a right angle screw driver that is usually gear driven so you can rotate the action head by turning the handle. Motion pro sells one. You have to be sure to get the D-shaped adapter - to fit the AF screw head. It still doesn't work that great and you are better to slot the screws next time carbs are off so you can use a straight screw driver tip instead. works better.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 AM
MotoGP

Thanks again.

My bike runs more than fine as it is but one never knows if there is some improvement left untapped unless I try it. (BTW, this line of reasoning, I am told, is a sure sign of OCMD, lol). Given the minimal cost involved and the fact taht I have the carb removal routine down to a fine art, I will give this a try in the near future.

cheers
Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
According to the Factory Pro website:

Rule of thumb....
If you go 1 size larger or smaller on the size of the pilot jet, you will change the fuel screw ~1.5x richer or leaner to retain the original idle mixture -
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 AM
MotoGP

thanks, that is precisely what I was looking for
Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by residentg
I need to get to this at some point. My bike runs ok as it is, so no real rush. What "tool" are you referring to - a screwdriver won't do it? If I need a special tool I want to order it before I tackle this job. Thank you. JB
You can use the one at the top @ 37.95 or the one at the bottom @ 109.95 or you can do like Bill suggested and slot the pilot screws and use one of the less expensive 90 degree screw drivers or if you're poor (or cheap) just pull the carbs to make the adjustment.....

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Pilot...ools_C2297.cfm
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 AM
MotoGP

Would this one work:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARBU...motiveQ5fTools

The ad notes it doesn`t work on Hondas but I fail to see how it differs from anything else so long as the head shape fits (virtually same as Motion Pro whch makes no similar exception)...
Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Would this one work:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARBU...motiveQ5fTools

The ad notes it doesn`t work on Hondas but I fail to see how it differs from anything else so long as the head shape fits (virtually same as Motion Pro whch makes no similar exception)...
They list it as not working on Honda because it has a std screwdriver end not the "D" shaped end. If you have slotted your pilot screws, it will work just fine.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 AM
MotoGP

Thanks again bud. So are Honda alone in using the D shaped screw head then?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Thanks again bud. So are Honda alone in using the D shaped screw head then?
Well it's a Keihin thing which by default makes it a Honda thing but you do find it on other makes from time to time.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Decided to bring this thread back to life....sorry. I've been reading much of the threads concerning the D shaped screws to have my eye ***** bulge outta my head. One thing I have never found is the methode used to notch/groove the screw to use a screw driver.

After driving the '98 for a few years, never did anything to it, but simple maintenance. But with this one, I have begun to suffer form OCMD, like most of my fellow Hawkers.
That being said, I now have my carbs on my work table, and, unless I am brain dead, the only way I see to groove the screw is with my dremel. However, this will also damage the housing around the screw itself. Question : Is there another, cleaner way that I'm over looking to groove
the screw ?

Hawk, being the undisputed carb expert, perhaps you may sheed some light for me....
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
If I can recall, I just used a hemostat/tweezer to turn it out and dremeled a slot
Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Thanks nath. So if I understand, the screw is pretty loose and not jamed
in the housing. It should turn easy ?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 AM
MotoGP

oh yeah, it turns easily. Turn it out with a tweezers and clamp a little vicegrip or pliars on the tweezer if you can't squeeze it tight enough.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Thanks Nath, I'm on it tonight.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
A note... It might be nice to make anote of your current setting before you start playing with the dremel... So lightly seat it, while counting rotations... Then take it out, or long enough out to slot...
Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Thanks Tweety. I had begun thinking about that before playing
with it to make sure I know where I am, and where I need to go.

I did the TPS earlier this week, and made sure I took precise readings before playing with it. I was at 900omhs, so, I knew where I need go
before removing it.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I just saw this. Not sure if it would work but hand adjustable would be sweet

Parts & Accessories - Cycle Gear - Motorcycle Gear and Motorcycle Accessories

Quick Reply: Fuel screw setting (pilot jet change)