Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

HICCUPS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
HICCUPS!

What actually causes the occasional minor backfire (Hiccup) through the carbs? It usually happens when blipping the throttle at low RPMs. Is it caused by Fuel screw adjustment, Pilot jet size, needle height, slide lift rate, or a combination of the aforementioned circuits. Too Rich or too lean? Just wondering. Any, or all, thoughts welcome.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CaryDG
What actually causes the occasional minor backfire (Hiccup) through the carbs? It usually happens when blipping the throttle at low RPMs. Is it caused by Fuel screw adjustment, Pilot jet size, needle height, slide lift rate, or a combination of the aforementioned circuits. Too Rich or too lean? Just wondering. Any, or all, thoughts welcome.
I think lean. Jumping up the pilot help?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Not saying this is your cause, but my bike had the exact same issue as yours, and after syncing the carbs, the problem went away almost completely.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
K&N filter?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Back Marker

996thehawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insulinboy
K&N filter?
I have a K&N and mine does it at least once every time I ride. I'm switching to OEM this winter.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
my 2002 hawk was doing that and driving me nuts! I finally got it tuned out by carefully adjusting the air screws. These carbs are finicky and very sensitive.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Helped, but...

Originally Posted by jerryh
I think lean. Jumping up the pilot help?
Carbs synced, #48 pilots help but feels fat (rich) off idle, played w/ fuel screws little change. Does it more with #45 pilots then it does with #45S (Honda Proprietary). #45's feel crisper so I'll just get used to it as I'm rarely near idle!
I am one of those SH owners that like s the DJ/K&N set up. It took a while to get it where I liked it as they rely on mains and needles leaving the off idle, small throttle opening a tuning challenge. That said I ordered new OEM springs and needles to try Hawks set up. I'm getting very proficient at carb removal and installation!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Carbs synced, #48 pilots help but feels fat (rich) off idle, played w/ fuel screws little change. Does it more with #45 pilots then it does with #45S (Honda Proprietary). #45's feel crisper so I'll just get used to it as I'm rarely near idle!
I am one of those SH owners that like s the DJ/K&N set up. It took a while to get it where I liked it as they rely on mains and needles leaving the off idle, small throttle opening a tuning challenge. That said I ordered new OEM springs and needles to try Hawks set up. I'm getting very proficient at carb removal and installation!
Hey Cary my bike rarely sneezes. Seems like when the engines cold or not quite up to temp
Old 10-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Squid

OhYouJest is on a distinguished road
Ride around with the choke on, just a little. If it runs better, you're running too lean. Diagnose from there.