SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   HICCUPS! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/hiccups-31300/)

CaryDG 10-23-2013 12:01 AM

HICCUPS!

What actually causes the occasional minor backfire (Hiccup) through the carbs? It usually happens when blipping the throttle at low RPMs. Is it caused by Fuel screw adjustment, Pilot jet size, needle height, slide lift rate, or a combination of the aforementioned circuits. Too Rich or too lean? Just wondering. Any, or all, thoughts welcome.

jerryh 10-23-2013 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by CaryDG (Post 364357)
What actually causes the occasional minor backfire (Hiccup) through the carbs? It usually happens when blipping the throttle at low RPMs. Is it caused by Fuel screw adjustment, Pilot jet size, needle height, slide lift rate, or a combination of the aforementioned circuits. Too Rich or too lean? Just wondering. Any, or all, thoughts welcome.

I think lean. Jumping up the pilot help?

CruxGNZ 10-23-2013 01:34 AM

Not saying this is your cause, but my bike had the exact same issue as yours, and after syncing the carbs, the problem went away almost completely.

insulinboy 10-23-2013 08:13 AM

K&N filter?

996thehawk 10-23-2013 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by insulinboy (Post 364364)
K&N filter?

I have a K&N and mine does it at least once every time I ride. I'm switching to OEM this winter.

twist 10-23-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by CaryDG (Post 364357)

my 2002 hawk was doing that and driving me nuts! I finally got it tuned out by carefully adjusting the air screws. These carbs are finicky and very sensitive.

CaryDG 10-24-2013 01:26 AM

Helped, but...

Originally Posted by jerryh (Post 364358)
I think lean. Jumping up the pilot help?

Carbs synced, #48 pilots help but feels fat (rich) off idle, played w/ fuel screws little change. Does it more with #45 pilots then it does with #45S (Honda Proprietary). #45's feel crisper so I'll just get used to it as I'm rarely near idle!
I am one of those SH owners that like s the DJ/K&N set up. It took a while to get it where I liked it as they rely on mains and needles leaving the off idle, small throttle opening a tuning challenge. That said I ordered new OEM springs and needles to try Hawks set up. I'm getting very proficient at carb removal and installation!:lol:

jerryh 10-24-2013 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by CaryDG (Post 364411)
Carbs synced, #48 pilots help but feels fat (rich) off idle, played w/ fuel screws little change. Does it more with #45 pilots then it does with #45S (Honda Proprietary). #45's feel crisper so I'll just get used to it as I'm rarely near idle!
I am one of those SH owners that like s the DJ/K&N set up. It took a while to get it where I liked it as they rely on mains and needles leaving the off idle, small throttle opening a tuning challenge. That said I ordered new OEM springs and needles to try Hawks set up. I'm getting very proficient at carb removal and installation!:lol:

Hey Cary my bike rarely sneezes. Seems like when the engines cold or not quite up to temp

OhYouJest 10-24-2013 08:08 AM

Ride around with the choke on, just a little. If it runs better, you're running too lean. Diagnose from there.