Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Help for an Aussie Storm owner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Squid

ericaa is on a distinguished road
Help for an Aussie Storm owner?

Can anyone tell me if mineral Delo 400 multigrade 15w-40 chl-4 PLUS works well in the Superhawk?
Another Ozfirestorm member suggested posting here for advice?
This is the only oil I have found so far, thats exactly the same in the States and here.
Its also readily available in Aussie.
The prefix PLUS is not rated c-4 Alison,so has anyone had probs with slipping clutches?
Any other comments about this oil would be really appreciated, as we really dont use this stuff for bikes down here(oil company marketing strategies etc maybe )?
Im after a good quality mineral oil that meets or exceeds the protection of the mineral bike
specific stuff for my 2007 Firestorm.I normally change my oil at around 3500 klms or so.
Thanks in advance--
Cheers-Eric NSW Australia

Last edited by ericaa; 04-24-2008 at 12:02 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-24-2008, 12:58 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I haven't used Delo, but I think most any CI-4+ 15w40 is fine for most any bike. The most popular here is the Shell Rotella. I'd guess that the 15w40 Shell Rimula Super down your way is the same oil except for the name. Some people shy away from the Delo because it has a bit of moly in it, about 200 ppm. I don't know that moly ever actually made a clutch slip, and even if it did I don't think 200 ppm would do it. Everything else being equal, I'd probaby go with the Shell as it has been used here by so many riders for many years with good results, but the Delo would probably be fine.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:06 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Wink

The best way to make sure to use a proper oil is to call your favorite retard buddy and tell him about that awesome oil, wait till he did the switch and if he's running it without problems go for it.
Your engine is a very special one, That particular year, they tried new experimental bearings are Bio oil compatible, you can run basically everything from high pressure grease to WD-40, fryer oil, KY, but in your specific aera, you may need a wider viscosity range than most of us, so I'll stick to a 5 W 70 full synthetic mineral based oil with moly ATF, all in one, with stator safe additives
This will suit your wide service intervals.
I had problems to find the right viscosity here, so I took regular 5W30 and added corn starch to it until I reached the desired viscosity, still well to avoid clumps.
A friend of mine is putting sandblast sand in his oil between oil changes to scrub the engine clean, his bike is a blast to drive.
Oil filters are dishwasher safe per Kyoto standards, if you took it off using the screwdriver technique, leave the screwdriver in place to avoid massive leaks, it makes a nice handle to put it back anyway.
I stopped using mineral oil because of clutch slippage while holding the leftmost lever and I was loosing oil pressure with the engine off
I always haul a few gallons of spare oil and a clean filter, because we never know when or where the next 2000 km oil change will happen, I had to stop in the tunnel in Montreal for an oil change, let me tell that flipping a bike upside down in a crowded tunnel like this ain't no easy task.
Anyway I wish you the best luck on your journey to find the best oil that bring you happiness and peace.

Last edited by gboezio; 04-24-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Squid

gboezio,your reply was well worth the effort it took me to write the post,what can I say, but thank you--what an excellent reply!
rk1-Thanks for the tip-will check out.
Cheers-Eric
Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
It cracks me up every time, it made my morning coffee more enjoyable
Old 04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
LOFL
Awesome. And from the peanut oil gallery, no less.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:02 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry Eric. Please don't take it personally.

Oil threads are a standing joke around here. That oil should be fine.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Squid

I havnt laughed so much for ages!!-------I will pass that reply around for sure--its good to see a bit of fun happening!!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
haha thats great you should of mentioned fish oil/olive oil combo.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I was going to suggest going to bitog for serious responses from guys who've used Delo, but I see you've figured that out already.