Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Headlight/Third light ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
Headlight/Third light ?

My low beam and third light went out at the same time yesterday when I started the bike. I checked the Headlight fuse and it was good. Even switched it to be sure. Can blowing one light cause the other not to work like in a series circuit? I'm going to check the readings in a bit to see if the R/R is working ok. Hope it's not going bad. I just got back from Daytona and riding down main street heated up the frame pretty good. Might have hurt the R/R.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

R/R tested out fine. Tapped the LED that is in the third light socket and it started working again. Replaced it anyway since I have 9 other backups. Tomorrow I'll probably swing by and get a new headlight even though I pretty much only use the high beam anyway.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Squid

FLETCH is on a distinguished road
If the start button does not fully pop back out after starting it will cause the headlight to not come back on-check the button next time try pulling it out-if its the issue you can try disassembling it and cleaning it but sometimes they are just plain worn out.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FLETCH
If the start button does not fully pop back out after starting it will cause the headlight to not come back on-check the button next time try pulling it out-if its the issue you can try disassembling it and cleaning it but sometimes they are just plain worn out.

Didn't know about that problem. But to prove it, a VOM would indicate whether there's any DC at the terminals to the headlight lamp. If no DC then the stuck button idea is plausible.

Alternatively, the same VOM could be used to measure for resistance across the headlamp terminals if the filaments appear OK visually. If resistance is infinite then the lamp is proven bad no matter what the filaments look like. But it sounds like the the thread owner is pretty sure the lamp is shot...hence the starter button is unlikely.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

I'll check the starter button just to be sure. It has lots of spring to it. I don't think that's the cause but always appreciate any suggestions. You never know what little things can throw your machines out of whack.

I'm removing the bulb today to check the filament. Even if it is broken or bad that only tells me what is wrong and not the why. My SH just passed 10k miles this week and has the original headlamp bulb. The most logical suggestion is it's time for a new one. Still trying to figure out if the third light going out is just a coincidence or a hint at something else. Time for the VOM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:19 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FLETCH
+1
have you checked to see if your high beam works or if the filament is broke in the bulb.if everything checks out good,than it could be the starter button.my bike does this from time to time and if i lightly tap it,the light comes back on.
might want to check connections,could be rusted or loose.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

Originally Posted by saige
+1
have you checked to see if your high beam works or if the filament is broke in the bulb.if everything checks out good,than it could be the starter button.my bike does this from time to time and if i lightly tap it,the light comes back on.
might want to check connections,could be rusted or loose.
The high beam works. That's what I am using for now.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
If the high beam is working, then it's just the filament burned out.

Put a new bulb in (Don't touch the glass part with your bare fingers or it will burn out right away) and you should be fine.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Oh and to answer you "why" question, the amount of miles really isn't the issue it would be more along the lines of has the R\R ever failed in the past?

Has the bike done most of its miles on rough roads?

Is it the stock bulb? Has it ever been taken out or replaced? If so, I bet they touched the glass...... the oil from your finger destroys an H4 bulb...