Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Had my first "failure"

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Had my first "failure"

After almost 42000 miles and 9 years I had the first component failure on the VTR. I saw this one coming from the signs it was giving but it finally had enough. When I put the ole girl back on the road last fall sometimes the starter solenoid would fail to reset and the headlight would not turn back on. Then last week on a ride she wouldn't turn over for me (remedied by bump-starting). Now even with 14.9V on the battery + charger I still get nothing but clicks from the POS. I've got a very lightly used one coming from ebay for $25. A new one of these bastards is over $70! Most bikes over 600cc after 97 or so use the same part - CBR600F4/F4i/RR/1000RR/RC51 so it's not difficult to find. Yes, I did all the troubleshooting like checking the battery terminals, cleaning cable connections, even took the starter apart. I'm 100% confident it's the solenoid. Sucks I can't ride her for a few days though. At least I have a backup.

[Update] It's not the solenoid, though that's a problem too. It's the starter. It has a short to ground and even bypassing the solenoid it wouldn't turn the motor over. This sucks.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:21 AM
Superstock

Verne
That sucks. Good luck with it.

On a side note. I took mine in and let the local shop do the Manual CCT's. Should of done it myself but don't have a place to do it except outside but with 100+ temps it wasn't happening. Dropped it off that morning and it was done that afternoon.

Verne
Old 08-24-2007, 05:54 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Hey, you got a ton of miles without having any major replacements, I'd say that's pretty damn good....
Old 08-24-2007, 05:54 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
???? Was that me that just posted that positive statment??? what no sarcasim???? What the hell????? Relapse...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Well, it wasn't the starter. A 0.5Ω positive to ground is normal for the starter motor. Of course the Service Manual doesn't mention this....

The problem was a failed battery. I just bought the battery in April so this was the least likely component in my mind that would fail. Seems it had good voltage but very little amperage capability. I had my old original '98 battery sitting on the shelf with 12V and it cranked the motor over fine.

I'm replacing the solenoid anyway and now have a perfectly good (used) starter for sale if anyone needs one, otherwise it goes to ebay.