Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

grinding noise coming from clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Squid

mxer363 is on a distinguished road
grinding noise coming from clutch

Ok so I went down a while back and put a hole in my clutch cover,and after some healing from my broken wrist I bought a used clutch cover from some one on this site, put the cover on, filled it up with oil and anti freeze, a started bike up fired up really clean like on first fire, after a second or two i noticed a sort of grinding noise coming from around the clutch cover anybody have any clues to what this could be anyhelp would be awsome as i want to get this bike running oh yeah the bike is ruunig good no bogs of anysort thanks guys
Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I'm gonna ask a dumb question but did you inspect the clutch assembly/basket when you replaced the cover? You may also want to drop the oil pan and change the oil or your clutch might not be the only thing grinding. Depending on how big the hole was and what you may have broken there might be broken pieces floating around in your oil or at the bottom of your oil pan. Ask me how I know
Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Oh and is it higher pitched? When I changed mine after a lowside the water pump started squealing for a short time and then was fine. Did the replacement cover include the water pump or did you change any of that?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Squid

hmm i never thought about dropping the oil pan maybe i should? and the water pump was still in the cover it seemed fine so I just used it hope thats not bad that would be sucky cause i would have to take all that apart again
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Squid

thnks for your help
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Squid

would it make this kind of sound if the water pump bearing is going out
Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Squid

??
Old 10-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Squid

Twins is on a distinguished road
my water pump was bad and here's how I knew. Loud squealing from clutch side and weeping coolant from front of cover. Mine did not have grinding. Honda charged $168 to replace impeller, bearing, oil seal, and mechanical seal when I brought them the cover only (off the bike).

If you drop the oil sump, you need a liquid gasket to re-attach. I bought the Honda brand for about $8.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
A hole in the sidle cover acts like a toy shovel in a sandbox as the bike slides.

There is probably a lot of crap in the oil sump. The small stuff has already gone through your oil pump and into the filter. The rest will be in the oil inlet screen.

+1 on removing the oil pan.

Also carefully inspect the clutch basket. Mine had 3 broken fingers, when I bought the bike with "mild cosmetic damage". I was glad I took the cover off and inspected, after noticing blue silicone goop squeezed out the side cover. The broken fingers were in the oil sump.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:35 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Yeah if it were the water pump it would be a loud high pitched squeal. After a lowside I shaved all the fingers off my clutch basket and found them in my oil pan. I'm glad I thought to do that at the time before I tried running the engine again. I even counted and found them all lol. There is no gasket for the oil pan. I used hondabond ht, and I actually got it at the acura dealer because no one else had any. It's like 15 or 20 bucks but any time you need some any kind of silicone it's the dog's *****. It's also great to dab a little on your side cover gasket to hold it in place. Get the oil pan and side cover off and let us know what you find.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Squid

oh man glad i waited for some replies ill fill you all in on what i find. Thank you to everyone for the help and info really helped me out a lot
Old 10-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Squid

JIMMYJAMES is on a distinguished road
What did you find?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Squid

well i found that the broken pieces where in the oil pan, goood thing i waited, sorry it took so ong to get back, the parts i needed where on back order just got done fireing the hawk up all seems well except when i pull the clutch in and drop it in gear it jumps foward and dies anyone know what could be the problem?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Back Marker

Hawknut
Could be clutch plates are just stuck together.Happens sometimes when a bike sits for awhile.With engine off-put in 1st gear-squeeze clutch and rock bike back and forth and see if things free up.If not time to dig back in???????Does the clutch lever feel normal?Too stiff?Too mushy?Let us know.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Squid

I actually let it warm up an got it rolling rode it around the block and all is good with the clutch but it dies if the choke is in at idle, still has loads of power hope the carbs just need a synch as I have never done a carb cleaning and don't have a air compresor lol
Old 12-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Squid

well i think my motor is giving out so i may either be parting out the hawk or getting a used motor
Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mxer363
well i think my motor is giving out so i may either be parting out the hawk or getting a used motor
Why would your motor be giving out?

If you look at the dates on your posts'replies on this thread there is a fair amount of time passed with the bike down and not running. You figured that out with the clutch pack stuck issue. Now if the bike does not idle without being on choke..... Sounds like a carb clean. You probably did not drain the carbs while it sat for the clutch repairs. That fuel went stale/gummy and is now partially blocking fuel delivery, you are compensating with the choke.

So time to look into the knowledge base on this site for more info.....
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Squid

well the reason i think there is something going on with the engine is, after i warm it up and hop on for a ride the sh runs great there is no longer an issue with running the choke it idles good take off is great wheelies 1st - 3rd, but after about 10 miles of easy riding, when i go to stop at a light it wants to die and seems there is some kind of noise coming from the clutch, all though i do think the carbs should be synced, and maybe a valve adjment i dont think that has been done, but the noise it makes after warming up and the way it wants to die in gear after a warm up are a bit alarming
Old 01-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
PVLIR

Fix that and your VTR will be all better.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
PVLIR sounds likely.. Maybe not 100%, but it's an easy fix.

(vacuum line to the petcock doesn't actually go on the bottom where it looks like it should go.. that's the vent. The vacuum line actually goes on the hidden back nipple of the petcock that points to the right.)
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Squid

thanks guys ill try that, and let you all know how it goes, and how diffacult is it to adjust the valves ?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
I just want to throw this out there.
Do you have another SH to compare your clutch noises to?
Without actually hearing the noise I couldn't tell you if it is normal or not. Rev the bike closer to your keyboard maybe. Seriously, all clutches make noise, I could describe the noise to be a light grinding rotational sort. This noise can be heard when the cluch lever is out, bike in neutral, running at idle, with you just sitting on the bike. I'm sure it would be much louder if you put your head down to it to listen.

It is possible that you did not hear it before because you were not aware of it... Or everyone is saying "dude, what's that noise coming from your bike?" and you could really have a problem.

Check knowledge base, search, on valve adjust.
How hard is it to do? That is a loaded question. For some folks not to bad, for others should not even consider it. I'm not real sure where you fall.

Hawkrider might just be on to something with your PVLIR issue. Not getting the fuel to run means....issues, issues of your description. She'll snort hiccup and pop....carbs, clutch, engine...

Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Squid

thank you VTS i think i was just being perniod, lol and most of the noise i hear is an exhaust leak, and probally the valves, all though i do think some clutch plates will be in my near future, so most of the noise is most likely exhaust, I did go for a 10 mile plus ride to day and know issues what so ever a few hiccups at around 3000 rpm carb sync should fix that now all i need is the sync tool lol thanks again all if anything changes ill be sure to let you all know