Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

green/blue fouling in float valve seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
green/blue fouling in float valve seat

I apologize for so many posts... brand new (to me) superhawk, and <1 week in, my first carb overhaul. I really am doing my due diligence and searches, I promise.

Anyway I just noticed that one of my float valve seats is has something covering its walls that is greenish blue. This is the valve that was stuck. I've gone at it pretty hard with carb cleaner and Q-tips. The first two Q-tips came out really blue (close to Windex color). The third didn't pick up much color - but there is clearly still this color on the walls.

More importantly, the valve does not quite operate what I would call "smoothly" in the seat. it goes up & down by finger, yes, but it jams if the direction is not perfect. To be specific, it does not operate as smoothly as the same valve does in the other seat (which does not have any of this substance).

I have a funny feeling this is corrosion, not varnish or just "gunk." The color isn't that far off from a corroded penny.

Can anyone advise? From my understanding, this valve/channel is not so high-tolerance like the actual jets - can I clean this with something a little more rugged?

It would be really nifty to not have to buy a new carburetor just now.

Thanks,
Avram