Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Going to two long intake stacks....new jetting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Going to two long intake stacks....new jetting?

I have "heard" nothing but good things about running a long intake runner on both carbs. Bike came to me with "Factory Jet Kit", a K&N and 2Bros carbon cans already in there. Stock jetting has a richer main in the rear for cooling. If the "Factory" set-up also has a richer rear...will the addition of a longer intake on the front change jetting needs? Maybe just moving the needle? I have a longer stack for the front but am investigating before install.
Any experiences guys?
K
Old 07-30-2007, 08:34 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I ran and have been running the same jetting and it runs fine. You should see a noticeable difference in bottom end with the long runner in front (or so it felt for me anyhow). After much experimenting and playing around with intermediate lengths I am back to two long runners. The only downside is a (slight but noticeable) increase in vibs at normal cruising rpm (3.5-5K). Let us know how you make out.

cheers
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Back Marker

saxman is on a distinguished road
I have seen a few posts/ comments about this.....I assume you guys are talking about the plastic stack under the air box on the carb intake? Do you get another one like the one on the rear to put on the front? I am just not sure what you guys mean, but interested.
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:40 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't tried that but i do run the rear carbs emulsion tube in the front carb to as reccomended by Factory Pro.

Fixes the cruising surge problem along with the Factroy Pri TI jet kit, 48 pilots and of course a K&N filter.

Try it sometime when you are in there adjusting the jetting, makes a world of difference.

I have my dyno Air/Fuel mixture near perfect from 3k to red line.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Superstock

Will do Mikstr. I'm going to check the valve clearances tomorrow and put in APEs when it goes back together. Then it's the long runner, carb sync, adjust pilots, idle, and varoom varoom! Hope I can get all that done in a few hours...depends on the valves/shims, I suppose.
Thump...care to explain the emulsion tube thing?
I thought I saw something about that on their site...I'll go look.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I have a DynoJet kit (dyno-tuned) and it runs fine without having to replace emulsion tubes. Jetting is spot-on perfect
Old 07-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Thumper
I haven't tried that but i do run the rear carbs emulsion tube in the front carb to as reccomended by Factory Pro.

Fixes the cruising surge problem along with the Factroy Pri TI jet kit, 48 pilots and of course a K&N filter.

Try it sometime when you are in there adjusting the jetting, makes a world of difference.

I have my dyno Air/Fuel mixture near perfect from 3k to red line.
I went to Factory's site and found what you're talking about. Horrible site BTW...how do they expect customers to find anything? Bet they've lost alot of business 'cuz of it.
Anyway....you put rear emulsion tubes in both carbs eh? Why? I want to learn more.....
Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by redman
I went to Factory's site and found what you're talking about. Horrible site BTW...how do they expect customers to find anything? Bet they've lost alot of business 'cuz of it.
Anyway....you put rear emulsion tubes in both carbs eh? Why? I want to learn more.....
A. Yeah, crappy websites **** me off.

B. I've been a member here for like 15 months and I've searched around plently, and I've yet to come across mention of swapping in a rear emulsion tube. Maybe bad memory, maybe didn't care at the time, definitely curious now.