Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Funny wheel noise

Old 08-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Squid

brettwalker is on a distinguished road
Funny wheel noise

Hey guys, I have a couple questions about getting my baby back up to perfect health. Firstly, I couldn't get my bike started a few days ago so I had a mechanic give it a look over. After charging the battery(which is less than 4 months old) the bike started back up. After skimming the boards, it looks like it could be R/R failure? If so, can I just keep the battery charged with a battery tender or do I need a new R/R?

Also, my rear wheel seems to make a squeaking noise when I'm stopping at/pulling away from a stop. It seems to squeak three or four times per revolution but it doesn't make the noise when the rear brake is applied. Any ideas what it could be? Bearings? Brakes?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Bearings don't usually squeak. If you have a rear wheel stand (if you don't, you should get one) raise it up and rotate the wheel by hand and see if you can pinpoint the noise. With the wheel raised you can remove the caliper, loosen the axle nut, remove the chain, etc to try to isolate the noise.

Bearings usually give a horrific grinding noise, even when they are quite a ways from coming apart.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Squid

dondiggdy is on a distinguished road
i had that same problem with the back wheel it would only do it though when i applied the brakes a few times and they heated up. i suggest taking a look at the pads my pads where near worn, i also suggest buying some brake cailper greese from the auto store apply a small amount to back of brake pads and around the brake pistons thats what stopped the squeek for me hope this helps.

as far as the r/r u need to get that replaced it could destoy your battery or worse starter alternator etc? i had my r/r fry my battery 3 times really easy to replace remove the rare fairing under the seat on the left hand side of bike it's a little square plug that just plugs in. don't go to the dealer they want like $200 bucks for one i got mine from china on eaby for like $60 make sure u get the one that has a heat sink on it.

Last edited by dondiggdy; 08-25-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, once the R/R goes, dont try to ride it unless you like pushing the bike home. No way out but to get a new one. I think an ebay R1/R6 one can be adapted. (search the forum)
Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Welcome to the group.
Introduce yourself and bike
earn to search.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Squid

brettwalker is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the resppnses. I have a new R/R on the way as we speak so we'll see if this solves my problems.