General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Noise from front wheel area at 60+mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Noise from front wheel area at 60+mph

Hey all. I was riding for about 4 hours last weekend near MT Baker. Well, i pulled in my clutch at speed and then i noticed a little noise. It sounds like a rotational sound. "who who who" something like that. Almost sounded like when you do a compression test on an engine. It sounded like when the motor compresses a cylinder. Well anyways, i don't know what it is, but it made me nervous. The bike has 27,000 miles on her now. Do we have a wheel bearing in the front that needs to be replaced. please let me know.
Thanks!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Did you try feathering the brake lever? A change in the tone would indicate a slight warp to the rotor. No change would point to the bearings. But...I once had a car making a wisk wisk wisk sound that turned out to be a twig caught under the chassis. There's nothing caught under the fender is there?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Did you try feathering the brake lever? A change in the tone would indicate a slight warp to the rotor. No change would point to the bearings. But...I once had a car making a wisk wisk wisk sound that turned out to be a twig caught under the chassis. There's nothing caught under the fender is there?
Haha!
No, sadly no twigs. that was a good idea. But yeah, i tried my brakes after posting and i really couldn't tell. It is seriously hard to hear a noise when you are flying on the freeway. Too much wind noise. How often do the bearings go on our bike? I wouldn't expect them to be back at only 27k.
Thanks for reading.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:58 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
A wheel or axle bearing will make A LOT of noise before it goes out. Inspecting them for pits, scores or bluing would be best to confirm a possible problem.

Again, it will make much noise before going out, but you don't want to lock up a wheel or get stuck far from home if it goes.

I had a front bearing making so much noise that I pulled off the freeway and called a flatbed to tow me the last 15 miles home. That was on my '83 BMW RS. The rear axle bearing went out on my '86 CB700SC 30 miles from home. A friend came with his pick-up, but we could barely push it up the ramp. The rear wheel was almost locked.

Both of those had no bearing sound at the beginning of my 35 mile commute home from work. So it can happen fast.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Its an easy and cheap job & 27k is easily in bearing failure/ replacement territory.( just did mine @ 14k) Catasrophic failure is unlikely but if you are posting this question then change them. Any number of factors can affect bearing life; sharp bumps, broken seal, rider thinking negative thoughts; almost anything....REPLACE EM. (put them in the freezer the night before & do the job before fall)
Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Do the free or cheap test first. Check the runout on the disc rotors first (and the runout on the wheels for true). If you go to the trouble of pulling the bearing to check their condition, you might as well install fresh units anyway. But if I remember correctly, the bearings on the S'hawk are sealed units and impossible to check without destroying the seal.

As far as the expected life, when I powder coated the wheels the bearings got pulled and even thought the manual said to replace, I reused and 20K later they still roll smooth and silent.